Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Looking for this part..

Go down 
+3
Derek
J. Chris Davis
GreenSupreme
7 posters
AuthorMessage
GreenSupreme
Amateur

Name : Todd
Merit : 2

Looking for this part.. Empty
PostSubject: Looking for this part..   Looking for this part.. EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 1:46 am

So I decided to replace the oil in the supercharger ( 96 Riviera ), however I managed to strip the plug bolt while taking it off. I was able to get the plug out with a extractor but now I need to replace it. Will the dealer carry a replacement plug? or is there any good websites I might be able to order one from? -Todd
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

Name : Chris Davis
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: Looking for this part..   Looking for this part.. EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 9:22 am

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=843&catid=106
Back to top Go down
Derek
Fanatic

Name : Derek
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Looking for this part..   Looking for this part.. EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 11:08 am

You can try a junkyard if there's one near you. I'm not positive but I'd think that you can take one from any m90 equipped car.
Back to top Go down
J. Chris Davis
Aficionado
J. Chris Davis

Name : Chris Davis
Merit : 19

PostSubject: Re: Looking for this part..   Looking for this part.. EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 11:10 am

Ya. It's all the same.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Looking for this part..   Looking for this part.. EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 1:05 pm

Last time I needed one I got it from the local GM dealer, I was there on other business anyway.

...and if you can't get a JY one, you can likely get a plug that will fit at a full-line hardware store - look in yellow pages for a True Value or DoIt Center; also maybe Home Depot or Lowes. What you are looking for is the section of the store where they have nuts bolts nails and screws -- there should be some large drawers with what I like to call "odd hardware."

What you are looking for is called a "steel bung plug" with an Allen (hex) inset head.

Do you think you could put a neoprene test tube stopper in there until you get a new bung plug? That would keep the dust out... well maybe not... just sayin'...
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: Looking for this part..   Looking for this part.. EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 5:58 pm

Buddy of mine stripped the one in his car. Just used a larger size allen key in it and tapped it in with a hammer. Worked fine for the rest of that supercharger's life. smile Not that I recommend this of course. wink
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Looking for this part..   Looking for this part.. EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 12:43 am

albertj wrote:

What you are looking for is called a "steel bung plug" with an Allen (hex) inset head.

Hah, hah-hah... Hey Beavis, he said "bung plug"! Huh, huh, huh-huh!!

(Yeah, I know - I just couldn't resist...) lol
Back to top Go down
GreenSupreme
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Looking for this part..   Looking for this part.. EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 2:48 am

Thanks for all the good info. as of right now I have the plug back in the SC but I only have it "snug" and should have no problem getting it back out.
I'm obviously new to the forum and discovered how much I loved this car when it safely got my wife and I from Tampa Florida to San Diego California!! this car made the drive extremely easy. I inherited the car from my father in law who past away roughly a year ago and let me tell you, this thing is CLEAN! 102000 miles on the clock and she still drives absolutely amazing. the radiator developed a small crack but I have a new one ready for install tomorrow.
You'll see me around on the forums alot from here on out,
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Looking for this part..   Looking for this part.. EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 3:09 am

GreenSupreme wrote:
Thanks for all the good info. as of right now I have the plug back in the SC but I only have it "snug" and should have no problem getting it back out.
I'm obviously new to the forum and discovered how much I loved this car when it safely got my wife and I from Tampa Florida to San Diego California!! this car made the drive extremely easy. I inherited the car from my father in law who past away roughly a year ago and let me tell you, this thing is CLEAN! 102000 miles on the clock and she still drives absolutely amazing. the radiator developed a small crack but I have a new one ready for install tomorrow.
You'll see me around on the forums alot from here on out,

Congratulations and welcome! baller

2 items;
- Was it the threads that stripped on your plug, or the Allen 'hole'?
- When you replace the PITA radiator, be sure to eliminate the "installation aid" - the short section of lower radiator hose and the metal nipple... Replacement lower hoses will reach from the motor to the radiator without those pieces.

Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Looking for this part..   Looking for this part.. EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 7:59 am

Welcome, be sure to check out the radiator write up by Abaddon, and lets see some pics!
Back to top Go down
GreenSupreme
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Looking for this part..   Looking for this part.. EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 12:33 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have already read the write-ups on the radiator. Just to clarify, do I need to buy a different radiator hose to reach directly to the radiator or does the factory one work?
Back to top Go down
GreenSupreme
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Looking for this part..   Looking for this part.. EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 1:00 pm

Eldo, to answer your question it was just the allen key hole that stripped.
Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

PostSubject: Re: Looking for this part..   Looking for this part.. EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 1:12 pm

GreenSupreme wrote:
Thanks for the warm welcome. I have already read the write-ups on the radiator. Just to clarify, do I need to buy a different radiator hose to reach directly to the radiator or does the factory one work?

I didn't need to order a special hose, the rad hose thats listed for our cars goes right to the rad
Back to top Go down
GreenSupreme
Amateur

PostSubject: Re: Looking for this part..   Looking for this part.. EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 4:10 pm

Well I'm doing the cooling system flush, and I bought a 180 thermostat. I changed the plugs last week. off to a start....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for this part..   Looking for this part.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for this part..
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: