Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

measuring resistance for duplicate keys... help?

Go down 
+2
AA
LaFlare
6 posters
AuthorMessage
LaFlare

Name : G
Merit : 2

keys - measuring resistance for duplicate keys... help? Empty
PostSubject: measuring resistance for duplicate keys... help?   keys - measuring resistance for duplicate keys... help? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 3:36 pm

i only have 1 key and no spares so i plan on getting a blank key online or on ebay, but before i order i have to know the resistance of course and they will come programed already.

i'm not too savvy with the technical sides of things, but i'm trying to measure this keys chip and i cant get a reading? im using this craftsman multi meter, i set it to ohms, press down on each end of the little metal piece, and the screen shows random numbers for a few seconds then goes to 000. doesnt give me a set number?

also side note, this whole vats security stuff, will it be a problem later down the road because in the future i plan on installing a viper alarm with autostart...
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 251

PostSubject: Re: measuring resistance for duplicate keys... help?   keys - measuring resistance for duplicate keys... help? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 4:08 pm

Set the range correctly on your meter. Start with the lowest range and work up. The key pellet should measure in the hundred or thousands (K) of ohms. Here's a list of possible values:

keys - measuring resistance for duplicate keys... help? VATSResistanceTable

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
jlaw
jlaw

Name : Jay

PostSubject: Re: measuring resistance for duplicate keys... help?   keys - measuring resistance for duplicate keys... help? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 4:37 pm

I just had this done at the GM dealer - $80 cdn for a copy, figured it was worth it...
Back to top Go down
flyineagle96
Junkie
flyineagle96

Name : James E
Merit : 23

PostSubject: Re: measuring resistance for duplicate keys... help?   keys - measuring resistance for duplicate keys... help? EmptyFri May 06, 2011 6:37 pm

Your local lock shop, would have made you one for $35.oo !!!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: measuring resistance for duplicate keys... help?   keys - measuring resistance for duplicate keys... help? EmptySat May 07, 2011 10:17 am

LaFlare wrote:
i only have 1 key and no spares so i plan on getting a blank key online or on ebay, but before i order i have to know the resistance of course and they will come programed already.

i'm not too savvy with the technical sides of things, but i'm trying to measure this keys chip and i cant get a reading? im using this craftsman multi meter, i set it to ohms, press down on each end of the little metal piece, and the screen shows random numbers for a few seconds then goes to 000. doesnt give me a set number?

also side note, this whole vats security stuff, will it be a problem later down the road because in the future i plan on installing a viper alarm with autostart...

You have to measure not along the length of the metal pellet but from one side to the other, basically *through* the key.

The multimeter is working correctly, it's using an autoranging feature to guess what the right scale should be then telling you there's no resistance.

Finally, about that VIper: you might want to look for the other posts on this site about installing aftermarket alarms.
Back to top Go down
jlaw
jlaw

Name : Jay

PostSubject: Re: measuring resistance for duplicate keys... help?   keys - measuring resistance for duplicate keys... help? EmptySat May 07, 2011 11:43 am

My local lock shop told meI had to get the blank with the right resistor from the dealer, which was most of the cost.
Back to top Go down
96RIVMANN
Fanatic
96RIVMANN

Name : Paul
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: measuring resistance for duplicate keys... help?   keys - measuring resistance for duplicate keys... help? EmptySun May 08, 2011 10:52 pm

Just measure the resistance across the key and solder in a resistor inline with the security wires. They are two thin wires encased in a black shield leading down from the ignition.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: measuring resistance for duplicate keys... help?   keys - measuring resistance for duplicate keys... help? Empty

Back to top Go down

measuring resistance for duplicate keys... help?
Page 1 of 1