Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Door locks

Go down 
+3
albertj
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bmiceelf
Rookie

Name : Galen Powell
Merit : 0

Door locks Empty
PostSubject: Door locks   Door locks EmptyFri May 06, 2011 5:06 pm

Hello to all, I've been away for a couple weeks and upon my return the Riv's weak battery is dead, which is not so bad, however bad is discovering the keys will not unlock the doors, tried both sides, can only open trunk with key? Unbelievable, I mean what is the likelyhood both door cylinders were changed and previous owner neglected to provide a funtional door key SHHESH!
I'm thinking perhaps I can open hood from the underside and jump it to power up battery enough to use transponder? Anybody have a better solution? BTW anyone source a good buy on a battery for these cars other than the $136.00 variety?
Once again thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

Door locks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door locks   Door locks EmptyFri May 06, 2011 8:35 pm

bmiceelf wrote:

I'm thinking perhaps I can open hood from the underside and jump it to power up battery enough to use transponder?

Thats what I would do in this case. Get the hood open, hook up a batt booster, and that should be plenty to open the locks.

Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Door locks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door locks   Door locks EmptySat May 07, 2011 9:44 am

...odds are the *trunk* key was changed. You should be able to get a key for the door locks from a GM dealer, the dealer can cut you a key from the VIN. You then should be able to re-set the tumblers in the trunk lock to match the doors--ask a dealer for details.

By the way, dirty little secret is there were not that many different physical door key tumbler settings. Mathematics (statistics) is what's keeping your car secure more-so than a unique physical key. That's all I'm sayin, except to say don't worry about it.

Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Name : Dave
Merit : 22

Door locks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door locks   Door locks EmptySat May 07, 2011 9:52 am

Well Galen, living in Buffalo I am too familiar with door lock cylinders that don't work. It is more likely that the locks are corroded from our Buffalo winters and not that they are in need of a different key. Most cars in our area have this problem because the keys are rarely used to open the doors. A lock smith can rebuild them for about $25.00 each.
Back to top Go down
jlaw
jlaw

Name : Jay
Merit : 2

Door locks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door locks   Door locks EmptySat May 07, 2011 11:44 am

I'm getting a door key ordered cut from the VIN today, its like 19 bucks at the GM dealer.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Door locks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door locks   Door locks EmptySat May 07, 2011 10:35 pm

bigdave wrote:
Well Galen, living in Buffalo I am too familiar with door lock cylinders that don't work. It is more likely that the locks are corroded from our Buffalo winters and not that they are in need of a different key. Most cars in our area have this problem because the keys are rarely used to open the doors. A lock smith can rebuild them for about $25.00 each.

this makes sense. If this is the case you may be able to free things up with lock-lube, actually u could use DeepCreep to loosen things up then spray in a lock lube containing graphite. You may need to pull the door panels to lubricate the back of the lock assembly and the pivot points on the remote rods.

By the way, new ACDelco door lock cylinders are $20 each from Rockauto.com.

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

Door locks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door locks   Door locks EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 10:37 pm

albertj wrote:
bigdave wrote:

this makes sense. If this is the case you may be able to free things up with lock-lube, actually u could use DeepCreep to loosen things up then spray in a lock lube containing graphite. You may need to pull the door panels to lubricate the back of the lock assembly and the pivot points on the remote rods.

really?! I need both the left and the right. both sides took a dump simultaneously
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Door locks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door locks   Door locks EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 12:18 am

robotennis61 wrote:
albertj wrote:
bigdave wrote:

really?! I need both the left and the right. both sides took a dump simultaneously

really... as of the day I wrote that, no telling what they are now, guess you have to check.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Door locks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door locks   Door locks EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 1:38 am

I checked.$22.95 at the Rock. I swear,the Riv is like a high maintenance chick.Ya gotta constantly throw gifts at her to get a good time.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Door locks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door locks   Door locks EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 9:13 am

robotennis61 wrote:
I checked.$22.95 at the Rock. I swear,the Riv is like a high maintenance chick.Ya gotta constantly throw gifts at her to get a good time.

My experience: Riv is nowhere near as high maintenance as a similar-vintage (or even somewhat newer) Audi. Don't even get me started. Riv is higher maintenance than say a Lincoln; routine maintenance on the Lincoln is cheaper (lots of standard Ford hard parts) but every once in a while you take a BIG hit unless you DIY (the air springs, which are definitely worth it).
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Door locks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door locks   Door locks EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 2:44 pm

are the lock cylinders at Rockauto the same for the trunck as well as the doors?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Door locks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door locks   Door locks EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 3:04 pm

$22.95 - no more than the price of an oil change. If that's all I have to spend for a good time, I'm one happy dude. cool

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

Door locks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Door locks   Door locks Empty

Back to top Go down

Door locks
Page 1 of 1