Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Radiator questions

Go down 
+2
BMD
knuckled1
6 posters
AuthorMessage
knuckled1
knuckled1

Name : craig
Merit : 4

Radiator questions Empty
PostSubject: Radiator questions   Radiator questions EmptySun May 15, 2011 3:21 pm

My radiator is leaking, the plastic seems cracked. Im looking for a new radiator,any suggestions. Any suggestions for aftermarket radiators. Stock or bigger? Upgrades or info/resources for aftermarket radiators. Any help would be greatlt aprecciated. Any resources would help thank you to anyone who responds. Also, do you suggest cooling fan relay ,timer or running fan constant with a switch?

Back to top Go down
BMD
Aficionado
BMD

Name : BMD
Merit : 36

Radiator questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator questions   Radiator questions EmptySun May 15, 2011 6:29 pm

Hey Craig, if you type radiator in the search box, you'll find a lot of info. My personal opinion is to go with a stock after market unit to avoid fitment issues, unless you are running a motor that requires increased cooling requirements.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

Radiator questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator questions   Radiator questions EmptyTue May 17, 2011 7:24 pm

What year? I have a brand new delco radiator for a '98 FS.
Back to top Go down
knuckled1
knuckled1

Name : craig
Merit : 4

Radiator questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator questions   Radiator questions EmptyMon May 23, 2011 12:53 pm

Thank you to all who replied. I found an original equipment unit new and had no issues installing it. Slowly but surely,this car will be brand new again! lol. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
rivy96
Amateur

Name : Matt
Merit : 2

Radiator questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator questions   Radiator questions EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 8:26 pm

How much did the radiator you found run you if you dont mind my asking? Where would I get a great deal? Mine is cracked and leaking bad, need new one
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Radiator questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator questions   Radiator questions EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 8:31 pm

rivy96 wrote:
How much did the radiator you found run you if you dont mind my asking? Where would I get a great deal? Mine is cracked and leaking bad, need new one

One of the site members has a radiator for sale.

I did not know that and bought a radiator off RockAuto.Com. Bought the Visteon (VistaPro) because it has a few more tubes than the OE spec (Spectra, Delphi meet the OE spec).

The plastic top bracket for the fans that Visteon supplied didn't really fit so I used the metal bracket off the old radiator, fit perfectly.

Consider replacing radiator and heater hoses while you are in there.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

Radiator questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator questions   Radiator questions EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 8:57 pm

Just call 1-800-RADIATOR. I've used em twice. They have different prices and "grades" to choose from.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Radiator questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator questions   Radiator questions EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 10:08 pm

Abaddon wrote:
Just call 1-800-RADIATOR. I've used em twice. They have different prices and "grades" to choose from.

how does their pricing compare to rockauto.com? Their pricing on a '98 radiator starts at $135.-

Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

Radiator questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator questions   Radiator questions EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 9:46 am

I got my last one for $140. It was a lil thinner than stock, but it works just as good. I think member L67 has used them as well.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Radiator questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator questions   Radiator questions EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 10:36 am

Abaddon wrote:
I got my last one for $140. It was a lil thinner than stock, but it works just as good. I think L67 has used them as well.

The 135 from Rock is a Spectra Premium. The one I bought was the Visteon, 170, and the difference is the cooling tubes are spaced a bit closer, so there are more of them. Not a zillion more, just a handful, the way they did it was by spacing them a millimeter or so closer together. When you put the Visteon side by side to the OE Harrison (now Delphi) radiator you can in fact see the difference, although subtle.

There are other radiators available but RockAuto does not sell them; there would be a Nissens for the 1995, #691011, and I think a Modine. The Delco version of the radiator for the 97-99 Riv crosses to the 1978-79 Grand Prix and Cutlass (go figure, it probably has a blind hole or bung in the level sensor opening). I know nothing about radiators from Asia for the Riv but it would not surprise me if one was out there.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Radiator questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiator questions   Radiator questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Radiator questions
Page 1 of 1