Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Transmission slipping into neutral at lights

Go down 
+2
Abaddon
Mr.Riviera
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

Transmission slipping into neutral at lights - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission slipping into neutral at lights   Transmission slipping into neutral at lights - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 4:19 pm

Good call by deekster. Sorry to hear he was right!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slipping into neutral at lights   Transmission slipping into neutral at lights - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks. Right again. frown Unfortunately I missed the other 'worst case' where it leaves you stranded, which happened. Anyway, soon you'll be crankin along with no more transmission worries, right?!
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slipping into neutral at lights   Transmission slipping into neutral at lights - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 4:54 pm

thats the goal lol
hope to have it back by Tuesday
Kens performance comes very highly recommended around here. had some really sick cars at the shop including a 10 second 70's Z28 w/ 550 BBC and 5 speed

Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slipping into neutral at lights   Transmission slipping into neutral at lights - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 12:26 am

Finally got the car back today. 1 week in the shop and its all better.
Here is what i had done:
Full R&R of trans components (gaskets, seals, etc)
All new clutches, upgraded 2nd and 4th clutches.
transgo shift kit (awesome btw)
built torque converter by FTI
new chain and drive chain
fluid and filter

total cost was 2G's but it shifts like a dream now, even at WOT.

My only concern is i think i need an alignment because it seems like it wants to drift from side to side and it feels a little sloppy in the steering. maybe the sub frame wasnt aligned?

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slipping into neutral at lights   Transmission slipping into neutral at lights - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 9:01 am

Check the steering rack bolts, make sure they tightened them up.
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slipping into neutral at lights   Transmission slipping into neutral at lights - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 9:18 am

Ditto.....
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slipping into neutral at lights   Transmission slipping into neutral at lights - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 11:14 am

alright will do.
here are the souvenirs i took home. happy
When i looked at my old clutches a lot of them were metal on metal too.
Transmission slipping into neutral at lights - Page 2 2011-018

Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slipping into neutral at lights   Transmission slipping into neutral at lights - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 11:54 am

good call on the steering column. the bolt on the right side was pretty loose. feels much better in the corners now.

should i still get an alignment now?

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slipping into neutral at lights   Transmission slipping into neutral at lights - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 12:30 pm

When I had my cradle off, I took it in for an alignment (also did the struts & control arms). The guy said the alignment was off, but not by much, and he mentioned the cradle was perfect. I'm not sure the cradle can shift or not. We didn't do anything special when installing it.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slipping into neutral at lights   Transmission slipping into neutral at lights - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 6:40 pm

Still having a problem with my transmission. It worked flawless for about 300 miles then i lost 4th gear while cruising on the highway one afternoon. Took it back to the shop and they fixed it. Said it was a piston that was slightly damaged and wouldnt engage 4th.
Drove it for 1 freakin day and today on the way home from work it does it again.

so i have no 4th gear. i have 3rd and 3rd with TC lockup.
What would be causing this?
The shop says everything was replaced. TC, clutches, solenoids, wires, etc.

The race shop i took it to came very highly recommended from several people but they dont normally work on 4T60e's or FWD cars.

The one thing that does stand out to me is the vacuum modulator they installed has 2 red stripes on it, where the stock one had one black stripe.
I thought this may have had something to do with it but when i swapped them i still had no 4th. It does shift crisper with the red striped one installed, but i wonder if that may be causing something internally to break.

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slipping into neutral at lights   Transmission slipping into neutral at lights - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 11:03 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
Still having a problem with my transmission. It worked flawless for about 300 miles then i lost 4th gear while cruising on the highway one afternoon. Took it back to the shop and they fixed it. Said it was a piston that was slightly damaged and wouldnt engage 4th.
Drove it for 1 freakin day and today on the way home from work it does it again.

so i have no 4th gear. i have 3rd and 3rd with TC lockup.
What would be causing this?
The shop says everything was replaced. TC, clutches, solenoids, wires, etc.

The race shop i took it to came very highly recommended from several people but they dont normally work on 4T60e's or FWD cars.

The one thing that does stand out to me is the vacuum modulator they installed has 2 red stripes on it, where the stock one had one black stripe.
I thought this may have had something to do with it but when i swapped them i still had no 4th. It does shift crisper with the red striped one installed, but i wonder if that may be causing something internally to break.

I think this could be one of 2 problems. Either the 1-2 solenoid is stuck or the splines on the 4th gear clutch hub are gone. If the 1-2 solenoid is gone, at hiway speeds you will still be in the right rpm range (around 1600 rpm at 65 mph I think) but you will go thru only 3 gears to get there (car will start off in 2nd gear from a dead stop in 2nd without much problem, you see).

Here is a link to a site with a picture of that 4th gear hub and a more detailed explanation:

http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/No_4th_Gear.html

Happy hunting and maybe you want to talk to the shop (Q: when is a rebuild not a rebuild?!? A: when the erstwhile mechanic doing the rebuild keeps 1/2 your new parts for his own use because you don't appear to need them...) Basically this is a high mileage wear and tear problem.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slipping into neutral at lights   Transmission slipping into neutral at lights - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 11:12 pm

Thanks for the reply albert. Im leaning towards the 4th gear shaft. I dont believe it is starting in 2nd and im at 3000rpms at 70mph.
Hope they make a hardened 4th gear shaft for my 4t60e. It make keep failing because the shop installed aftermarket 2nd and 4thim clutches which may be adding extra stress on the other parts.

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slipping into neutral at lights   Transmission slipping into neutral at lights - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 11:43 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
Thanks for the reply albert. Im leaning towards the 4th gear shaft. I dont believe it is starting in 2nd and im at 3000rpms at 70mph.
Hope they make a hardened 4th gear shaft for my 4t60e. It make keep failing because the shop installed aftermarket 2nd and 4thim clutches which may be adding extra stress on the other parts.

Yeah... you'll have little problem getting the hardened shaft for the 4t60E - only took me a couple minutes to find this one. And a couple minutes more to find the one at this LINK. Yeah my guess is at 70 MPH indicated on the speedo you oughta be at ~1800-1900 RPM.

The original shafts were not hardened. Make sure the replacement **is**.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slipping into neutral at lights   Transmission slipping into neutral at lights - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 6:15 pm

Well odd thing is the trans shifted fine this morning. It was fine on the way home too except it seemed to hang onto 3rd for longer than usual.
I know im not crazy b/c when it happened yesterday it set the CEL for 1870 (generic trans slip detected)

Could it be an issue that i am only seeing when it is hot or do i have a servo/ solenoid sticking?

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slipping into neutral at lights   Transmission slipping into neutral at lights - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 10:20 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
Well odd thing is the trans shifted fine this morning. It was fine on the way home too except it seemed to hang onto 3rd for longer than usual.
I know im not crazy b/c when it happened yesterday it set the CEL for 1870 (generic trans slip detected)

Could it be an issue that i am only seeing when it is hot or do i have a servo/ solenoid sticking?

Hard to tell. With the splines, they wear down not break off. So it can work at times and not work other times -- just the not working happens more and more as you go.

If it was a stuck solenoid yeah it's plausible that whatever stuck it could have changed. Don't worry, it'll stick again just at the time that's right to really make you happy (not).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transmission slipping into neutral at lights   Transmission slipping into neutral at lights - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Transmission slipping into neutral at lights
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series II Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: