Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

engine running without belts

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

engine running without belts Empty
PostSubject: engine running without belts   engine running without belts EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 4:15 am

I have a question for you guys.I am chasing a mystery oil leak,I am going to pour some dye into the engine to find it.But before I do,I want to run the engine briefly with out the drive belts and pully bracket in the way to find the leak.Can I do this very briefly just long enough to create engine pressure and find the leak without causing damage?
Back to top Go down
97 park ave
Addict
97 park ave

Name : Tyler
Merit : 21

PostSubject: Re: engine running without belts   engine running without belts EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 8:19 am

Very briefly as in try to keep it under a minute, it would also help to have the engine cool if possible. The only real problem with running the engine without the belts is that the water pump is not pumping coolant through the engine without the belt spinning the pulley. That along with your alternator wont be charging, but if your battery dies from running your car for less than a minute i would probably be looking for a new battery.
Back to top Go down
jlaw
jlaw

Name : Jay
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: engine running without belts   engine running without belts EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 11:11 am

You can do it no problem, as Tyler said the only worry is overheating. I have driven my Tahoe about 5km without a belt on (lost on highway, drove it to the parts store) without overheating it, I suspect if you start with the motor totally cold you could go a couple of minutes very safely
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: engine running without belts   engine running without belts EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 1:02 pm

Thanks guys.Thats what I thought.I think its the only way to find the leak.I.ll have to clean the area of all oil residue,pour in the dye and black light it. thanks again
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: engine running without belts   engine running without belts Empty

Back to top Go down

engine running without belts
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series I Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: