Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

GMPP lifters?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
themanwithsauce
Enthusiast
themanwithsauce

Name : Chris
Merit : 8

GMPP lifters? Empty
PostSubject: GMPP lifters?   GMPP lifters? EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 6:46 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-Performance-Hydraulic-Roller-Lifter-Pkg-5-7L-6-0L-/320639394755?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ABuick|Model%3ARiviera|Year%3A1995&hash=item4aa798e3c3

The link above is for GM Performance lifters for the 4.8, 5.7, and 6.0 liter V8s.....but it also says that they work for the series I v6? THe fit check does correctly say that for the riviera I would only need 12/16 lifters (16 are provided). Is this correct? And if so, would this be for performance improvement or is it just a high quality OE style part?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

GMPP lifters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GMPP lifters?   GMPP lifters? EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 11:42 pm

Sounds plausibe but I don't know from direct experience. One of the reasons the 3800 engine is what is is is that it was basically a sawed-off 8 and to save money used much of the parts and tooling of the 305/350/etc. engines.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

GMPP lifters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GMPP lifters?   GMPP lifters? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 9:46 pm

slight changes were made for the latest version of the GM lifters. GM uses this same lifters in many engines, and as changes need to be done the new part just supersedes the old, keeping the same part number. The latest changes were to the spring design, and a slight bevel on the oil inlet hole to reduce valve float and improve durability in the higher RPMs on the LS7. Also there is more material around the pin for the bearing so it stays together better under stress. Also the new lifters will increase your pre-load very slightly since the cup is a tiny bit higher up for the pushrod than the previous design. The new design also has a larger range of tolerance for different preloads so even with the higher cup, you can use the same pushrods.

So yes you can use the lifters on your engine if you need new ones. People have for the series 2 and one. You could order the exact GM part number listed for your car, or you could order the set of 16 from the LS7 and save a boatload of money. You will get the same physical part either way.(new production part just overlays all the previous part numbers) A few sets of 16 and suddenly we have a complete set of 12 for a 3800. (I have a set of 4 to contribute if any needs some. I run LS7 lifters in my series one.)

I did a crapload of research into this before running them in my engine, so I'm glad to pass it on. I must also mention, that those lifters in your link are not the PERFORMANCE GM LS7 lifters. Not at 130 bucks. And the part number 12499225 is the standard replacements. There are a special set of high performance LS7 lifters that can be gotten from GM for crazy LS7 builds, but those are not them. The real deal run 800-900 bucks. And would also work in the 3800, but no one has really bothered at the price, and the 3800 won't see the high RPM to warrant them.

Enthusiast
themanwithsauce

Name : Chris
Merit : 8

GMPP lifters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GMPP lifters?   GMPP lifters? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 12:02 am

Okay, thanks a ton for the info. My dad and I are trying to compile a list of parts that are direct or nearly-direct swap ins so that I can try and save time/money/hassle by just ordering the common branded one. I doubt I'll ever replace the lifters in the near future but I'll add it to our list.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GMPP lifters? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GMPP lifters?   GMPP lifters? Empty

Back to top Go down

GMPP lifters?
Page 1 of 1