Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Coolant temperature sensor/sender

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Name : Andrew Zamiska
Merit : 63

Coolant temperature sensor/sender Empty
PostSubject: Coolant temperature sensor/sender   Coolant temperature sensor/sender EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 9:14 pm

Hey guys,

A few questions about the Series I L67 coolant temperature sensor.

Is it indeed a sender as well as a sensor?

What does it mean exactly when the scanner says your coolant temperature is -39F when it's 55F outside? I vaguely remember reading something about such an extreme temperature reading at one point but can't find what I read. Does that mean the sensor has gone bad?

Thanks all,

-Andrew Z
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Coolant temperature sensor/sender   Coolant temperature sensor/sender EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 10:21 pm

Regarding automotive parts, a sender and sensor are used interchangeably, like 'alternator' and 'generator'. Technically, there is a difference between the two. A quick search found this definition, which makes good sense to me:

In the automotive arena, there is a generally accepted convention regarding the terms "sender" and "sensor".

Simply put, a "sensor" is a device that provides an input signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM) or Powertrain Control module (PCM), and is tasked with monitoring a specific condition and providing the ECM/PCM with ongoing information regarding that condition. The ECM/PCM uses that information in formulating its control output(s) to various engine and/or powertrain devices. For example, a PCM may use a crankshaft position sensor's output to determine the triggering of the ignition control module, thus driving the timing of the spark to the spark plugs. However, the crank position sensor input to the PCM is normally also used as a factor in other calculations made by the PCM, as is the case with most of the many sensor inputs received by the PCM.

In the automotive sense, a "sender" is a device that has a direct control over its output device. Some examples would be a fuel level gauge, an oil pressure gauge, or a coolant temperature "idiot" light. In each of these examples, the output device (e.g., the gauge or the light) and its associated "sender" are usually components in discrete circuits.

Regarding the very low temp reading, -39ºF would almost certainly mean the circuit wiring or sensor on that circuit is broken, causing an open circuit. The ultra-high resistance mimics the condition that would "sense" such an extreme temperature reading, A number like -39 is probably the max negative number, so the sensor is effectively "pegged" cold.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

PostSubject: Re: Coolant temperature sensor/sender   Coolant temperature sensor/sender EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks for all the information Aaron! Much appreciated.

So, do you think I may have messed up the readings from the sensor in some way? I ended up tapping off the signal line to the PCM to feed my Lesabre's temp gauge, but I guess it doesn't work that way.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Coolant temperature sensor/sender   Coolant temperature sensor/sender EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 2:01 pm

You will completely mess up the expected resistance from the sensor to the PCM if you add another gauge to the same wire. Resistance is a precision measurement.
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

PostSubject: Re: Coolant temperature sensor/sender   Coolant temperature sensor/sender EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm

damn i scewed up huh? Thats ok i can fix it gavel

thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

PostSubject: Re: Coolant temperature sensor/sender   Coolant temperature sensor/sender EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 9:32 pm

Hey everyone - update. I fixed the coolant temperature circuit. All is well on the scanner! I can't believe I did that...

Anyway, I now have a new issue. No coolant temperature gauge. Does anyone know what my options are to get the gauge to operate? Probably the most accurate thing would be to tap in another temperature sender somewhere, but where?

Any other ideas?

Thanks guys! I appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coolant temperature sensor/sender   Coolant temperature sensor/sender Empty

Back to top Go down

Coolant temperature sensor/sender
Page 1 of 1