Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Riv finally back on the road

Go down 
+19
Z-type
matt270avian
Abaddon
99Rivman
turtleman
69GSColorado
AA
highwaywarrior
Snowdog
florence_x
denim
ghpcnm
charlieRobinson
IBx1
robotennis61
RidzRiv
th3fr4nchi5e
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 2:30 am

Thank you Timo! I have always loved your rims and car. Im not currently ready to invest in a set of rims but maybe in a few years! This would definitely be the way I would want to go. Love the Tomason rims like yours!
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 11:15 pm

Well, it was close to 50 here in Buffalo today and the roads were dry so I took the Riv out for the day! Ran wonderfully and loved the weather. My spring break officially started today and if everything goes to plan, we're gonna get the chance to do some more work on the car over the next week. We are hoping to install the Yella Terra 1.8's, 2.5" S/C pulley, AL 104's and maybe replace the EGR valve. If everything goes well, Ill be saving up for a tune from Sinister in the near future. Summer cannot possibly be here soon enough! Quick picture from when I visited my friend at work today...she drives the Cavalier next to me!
Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 Photo8_zpscf9bf5b8
Back to top Go down
highwaywarrior
Fanatic

Name : daryl
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 9:26 pm

Hey what color is your car?? Well white but what kind of what. I tell ya what I like those tn1 wheels I few comments up, wow
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 10:06 am

His car is the original color, bright white. Can't remember the paint code. The roof is black GM code WA8555.
Back to top Go down
highwaywarrior
Fanatic

Name : daryl
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 11:00 am

Very nice
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 11:14 am

Ever consider blacking out the mirror bodies?
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 12:13 pm

We considered a few things like that before we painted the car. Like painting the pillars black and we even painted one of the OEM rims black but eventually decided on the way the car is now and I dont want to change anything! I think for blacked out mirrors to look good, there would have to be more than just the roof painted black with it!
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 10:22 pm

A pretty exciting start to my week as the last 2 days alot has happened with the Riv!
We started by temporarily setting up a boost gauge for now so we could see how the mods affected boost levels.

Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 9c6a082f-fce6-4cbc-a582-c946948ac802_zpsaffd6cdf

Sunday, when we put in the gauge, the car was reading between 6-7 psi on a couple of WOT runs. It was 60* outside at the time.

Last night and today, we put in the AL 104 plugs, swapped to the 2.5" S/C pulley and installed the Yella Terra 1.8:1 Roller Rockers and took in out for a ride this afternoon. I ran it light for a bit and everything was very smooth! Eventually took a few WOT runs and saw close to 11psi! Very noticeable increase in power and stong much higher into the RPM band. Temperature was down to 45 during the runs. Going to scan to make sure theres no KR tomorrow and get the car cleaned up as it definitely needs it after doing the RR's!

Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 2f5e45dd-e827-4b7a-9d2a-e0de464555ab_zps3748c6b0

Not sure whats next. Need to look into a tune in the near future and we would like to buy the software to tune the Series 1's and learn to tune ourselves eventually. For now, we're just going to look into having sinister tune the PCM for a bit until we're looking to do more with the car. Definitely a good feeling to hear the car turn over and run well after spending some time hunched over the motor! Certainly not the most comfortable position working in the back of this motor!

Last edited by th3fr4nchi5e on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 10:27 pm

th3fr4nchi5e wrote:
A pretty exciting start to my week as the last 2 days alot has happened with the Riv!
We started by temporarily setting up a boost gauge for now so we could see how the mods affected boost levels.

Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 Fad37321-97ab-47fe-a728-083ab49e3ecd_zps7dd3dc63

Sunday, when we put in the gauge, the car was reading between 6-7 psi on a couple of WOT runs. It was 60* outside at the time.

Last night and today, we put in the AL 104 plugs, swapped to the 2.5" S/C pulley and installed the Yella Terra 1.8:1 Roller Rockers and took in out for a ride this afternoon. I ran it light for a bit and everything was very smooth! Eventually took a few WOT runs and saw close to 11psi! Very noticeable increase in power and stong much higher into the RPM band. Temperature was down to 45 during the runs. Going to scan to make sure theres no KR tomorrow and get the car cleaned up as it definitely needs it after doing the RR's!

Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 2f5e45dd-e827-4b7a-9d2a-e0de464555ab_zps3748c6b0

Not sure whats next. Need to look into a tune in the near future and we would like to buy the software to tune the Series 1's and learn to tune ourselves eventually. For now, we're just going to look into having sinister tune the PCM for a bit until we're looking to do more with the car. Definitely a good feeling to hear the car turn over and run well after spending some time hunched over the motor! Certainly not the most comfortable position working in the back of this motor!

oh wow! did you use the stock springs and everything with the Yella Terras?
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 10:44 pm

robotennis61 wrote:

oh wow! did you use the stock springs and everything with the Yella Terras?

Yep! Reading around, the 1.8's dont usually cause issues on the stock valvetrain as long as everything is still in good working order! No problems on our setup. We'll see how everything holds up moving forward but the car revs strong at WOT and right into the next gear!
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 11:12 pm

Holy shit. you were running 11psi without scanning? WTF, man?! shocked
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 11:20 pm

Only put my foot down twice just to see how the rockers were running. Wouldnt have done it if the car was warm, we've been plenty careful! Tomorrow we shall scan and see exactly how everything is looking!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 11:47 pm

th3fr4nchi5e wrote:
Only put my foot down twice just to see how the rockers were running. Wouldnt have done it if the car was warm, we've been plenty careful! Tomorrow we shall scan and see exactly how everything is looking!

i know i have a computer in front of me but..wtf do Yella Terras do for the car? i mean,the oem rockers are roller bearing too!? right?
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 12:00 am

The OEM rockers are roller pivot but not roller tip. The YT's are designed to reduce the friction and keep the temps down. They're also claimed to be much stronger and quieter. They most definitely arent louder but the OEMs never made any sound so I dont think theres much difference there. Then the power comes from the increase in the higher lift duration. The installation was also a good chance to clean the pushrods which gather quite a bit of junk over time. Not sure if this affected performance at all but didnt want any unnecessary friction!

You can see the tips in the picture above. The OEMs were solid tips!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 12:12 am

th3fr4nchi5e wrote:
The OEM rockers are roller pivot but not roller tip. The YT's are designed to reduce the friction and keep the temps down. They're also claimed to be much stronger and quieter. They most definitely arent louder but the OEMs never made any sound so I dont think theres much difference there. Then the power comes from the increase in the higher lift duration. The installation was also a good chance to clean the pushrods which gather quite a bit of junk over time. Not sure if this affected performance at all but didnt want any unnecessary friction!

You can see the tips in the picture above. The OEMs were solid tips!

wow! the rockers in my 95 come with roller tips? is that what you mean by solid tips?
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 12:26 am

I think I explained it a little funny. The 95 OEM rockers do not have roller tips! Just the pivots so gm GM called them factory roller rockers but they are not true roller rockers because of the solid tip. Thats one of the upgrades with the Yella Terras. They provide the extra lift and are true roller rockers. Not sure how much friction the OEMs were creating but the tips do move across the top of the valvesprings so I do believe that the roller tips would have an advantage in addition to the higher lift.

I can take a picture of the stock rocker arms tomorrow and post it so you can see the differences!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 12:42 am

th3fr4nchi5e wrote:
I think I explained it a little funny. The 95 OEM rockers do not have roller tips! Just the pivots so gm GM called them factory roller rockers but they are not true roller rockers because of the solid tip. Thats one of the upgrades with the Yella Terras. They provide the extra lift and are true roller rockers. Not sure how much friction the OEMs were creating but the tips do move across the top of the valvesprings so I do believe that the roller tips would have an advantage in addition to the higher lift.

I can take a picture of the stock rocker arms tomorrow and post it so you can see the differences!

yes yes yes! i gotta see that! ..went over to rockauto, and they dont even offer the rockers anymore!? wtf!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 12:50 am

but ya know,a few years back i was under the car with my cousin ,we were replacing the oil pan gasket,the car was on a lift,and he pointed out the roller tipped rockers "those are performance rockers" he said. i wonder if the previous owner swaped em out? if memory serves me correctly,they were most definitely roller tipped.
Back to top Go down
bigdave
Fanatic

Merit : 22

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 7:53 am

Unless your cousin is Superman and has x-ray vision, he would not be able to see the rocker arms from under the car. I'm not 100% sure but with the oil pan off, he may have been able to see the roller lifters.

And I know he's not Superman, because I am!
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 8:44 am

bigdave wrote:
Unless your cousin is Superman and has x-ray vision, he would not be able to see the rocker arms from under the car. I'm not 100% sure but with the oil pan off, he may have been able to see the roller lifters.

And I know he's not Superman, because I am!

ya know, that might have been it come to think of it.damn!
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 8:47 am

WTF ROBO!?
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 8:58 am

Stock 95 rockers:
Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 IMGP1412

The tip is rounded for a bit less friction when dragging across the valve stem. The 96+ are a more harsh edge. The advantage of moving to full bearing roller tips is a bit negligible on engines that only rev as high as ours, but the move to 1.8 ratio is noticeable.

charlieRobinson wrote:
Holy shit. you were running 11psi without scanning? WTF, man?! shocked

Haha, Charlie, I've been running 11-12 PSI for years!

th3fr4nchi5e:
Nice install, You will feel the 1.8s, and love the blower sound with the 2.5".
Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 IMGP1397
Welcome to the rocker club!

Guru
robotennis61

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 9:12 am

is there an actual HP gain?
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 9:27 am

Thanks Karma! Cant wait to do some more driving with them in!

And Robo, sites that sell the Rockers claim roughly 20hp but I would say it would need to be tuned to see quite that much. I think it just holds peak torque for a bit longer and thats where the power is added. A good tune would probably give you decent numbers!
Back to top Go down
RidzRiv
Addict
RidzRiv

Name : Greg
Merit : 17

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 11:47 am

I'm super Jealous! I can't wait to do these mods myself one day, but I can't keep my car running in perfect order! puzzled
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riv finally back on the road   Riv finally back on the road - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Riv finally back on the road
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next