Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Yeah...I bought this...

Go down 
+3
IBx1
albertj
Natesriv
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

Name : Nate
Merit : 16

Yeah...I bought this... Empty
PostSubject: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 am

The lower note horn is not always working...so I googled air horns...and bought this
Click the "PLAY HORN SOUND" button...
http://www.superiorhorns.com/air-horns/dual-chrome-trumper-air-horn-with-dual-compressors.html
Yeah...I bought this... V621k

Sure hope it fits! I'll get up under the front bumper and find some room. If it doesn't I'll find room for it in my Si...ha!

I had to buy it guys...it's gonna be so LOUD!!!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 10:26 pm

If corrosion is not a problem for you, consider mounting the horns fore of the radiator. you may want to make a 'custom' bracket to hold them, try to point them downward and forward somehow - point toward the ground that you can see when you look down behind front bumper. .

Alternatively consider mounting behind the radiator support, but be aware of the fans and the movement of the engine in the mounts.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 2:04 pm

Yeah, they're combined together it appears... might take some customization...

should be in next week...I'll post pics!
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

Name : ILAN
Merit : 69

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 11:30 pm

If you can find room for those in the EP3 let me know! I've always been thinking of installing train horns just for fun, but my idea was to have a small onboard compressor tank in the trunk that I would refill with an air pump that wasn't installed on the car, kind of like filling tanks of NO2.

Edit: let me know how these are supposed to get wired up, I want!!!
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 4:18 pm

I hope they come in soon!

They appear to have a wire & relay. But unless my horn relay is too weak or whatnot in the Riviera then I should only need to hook up the horn compressors .

I had put air horns on my old Sunbird Turbo GT (loved that car's looks but TOTAL junk!!!) But the metal diaphram which made the noise just tore... and the horn was useless...

These look to perhaps have a better construction...

Since the Riv has two horns...two power wires...

But I'll read the instructions fully before I just snip & clip.

Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 4:19 pm

Now on an EP3 Si...there's NO room I'm sure! Well, maybe in the hatchback!
Thinking of selling my EP3 too.
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 9:08 am

I think there might be space behind the lower grille and where the stock horns go, although I didn't get the dimensions of these. Keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 7:16 pm

NOPE...

Damn! Okay, since there are two compressors that takes up space.

I tried to put them on the frame in front of the oil pan. The ONLY place they'd fit. But there's just no room to install them with the hardware they come with. The setup comes with two nuts and bolts...but you can't tighten a bolt in the subframe since it's a closed tube.... so I went and bought some self tapping screws... that'd work.

However, to install the two compressors and tighten them down AND allow room for the horns....just not enough room in my setup design, and not enough daylight.

Space was tight so I thought I'd grind down the trumpets for more room...that's high quality metal...my dremel took awhile... But alas, it still didn't align up enough to NOT show underneath the car (and scape every driveway & speedbump)

So I put it back in the box for another day....
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 7:18 pm

So , this sized airhorns are too large...but damn they're loud (you can blow into the tube and make them work....HONK!!!)

Option 1:
Smaller air horns...more Ferrari sounding...but not GM

Option 2:
Older 80's Cadillac horns...they were awesome

Option 3.
Get new OEM horn...boom ...done

Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 10:07 pm

Your next post? "Yeah, I sold this..." smile
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 11:16 pm

Sorry for the Honda talk, but I was thinking of putting these horns through the hole where the intake usually runs on my fender well in the engine bay, since my car has a CAI and not a FWI. Were they really that hard to fit on the Riv? What are the rough dimensions of the compressors?
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 12:52 am

yo, Ilan. I checked out all your old riv pics and threads yesterday. I am surprised you still hang out here without owning a riv. Why did you decide to get rid of it anyways?
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 4:29 am

Natesriv wrote:
So , this sized airhorns are too large...but damn they're loud (you can blow into the tube and make them work....HONK!!!)
Option 2:
Older 80's Cadillac horns...they were awesome

Good choice! There is little mounting space under the hood of the Riv, but I added the "Low-D" horn from my '81 Eldorado to the existing 2 Buick horns to make this car sound like a proper 'Merican car... cool
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 5:56 pm

the compressors are 2/3 of a coke can (height).... if you get under the car the ONLY space is the subframe between the oil pan and that tubular subframe crossmember....

The compressors need to be upright, so you have to figure a way to do that in a closed tube...you can't tighten the bolt, since the nut is inside the tube...impossible....

BUT, I was thinking of some metal straping, or something similiar to hold them in place...

On a Honda...no room. The biggest horn is 14" or so long...too long...

And actually...reallly...the quality of construction leaves enough to be desired that I'd mount it in such a way as to be able to remove it when they go kaput!

It seems nobody makes a quality air horn...
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 5:56 pm

so, yeah.... Cadillac horns...deeper, richer...old school.

Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 6:08 pm

for a Honda Civic Si...I think of Hella horns...

two options ...I had one...it was LOUD

1 (the one I had)
From here
Yeah...I bought this... 5183Ou-apfL._SL500_AA300_

2 (sweet)
A twin air horn kit...WOW
Like from here
Yeah...I bought this... App_HE_003001601
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 11:12 pm

I wouldn't go with the whiny squeaky horns; I may buy an ooga horn though.

Also, Charlie, RP was my home page since I joined and the community here is strong enough that I never changed that, even when I switched computers. I'll be staying on ClubEP3 after I get a Focus ST in a few years as well.
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 10:27 am

damn Focus ST's are expensive, but awesome...and no 3-doors frown

The top horn(s) aren't too whiny...they are like REALLY loud versions of what we have in the EP3 right now.

The second are like horns in an old Alfa Romeo I'd say
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 9:55 am

Here's a horn project that might interest?
http://jalopnik.com/car-hacks/
Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 12:35 am

Hehe...

Yeah...I bought this... File_8

Yeah...I bought this... 304712_3588941132671_1736713186_n

Yeah...I bought this... 391454_3588942092695_1020897304_n

Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 12:58 am

thats is sooo country
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 8:56 am

I love it! Well I sold the Si back to Carmax...so I'm a one car owner now (not counting the wife's Accord)

I'm not ENTIRELY sure how much longer I'll keep the Riv, but until then...it's the smoothest car I've ever owned.

The Si was fun, but just felt the time was right for something newer...with a little more luxury...

Back to top Go down
IBx1
Expert
IBx1

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 8:58 am

Glad you had fun with the EP, maybe look for one of the new Regals with a 6-speed if you want fun, new, and luxury?
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 9:00 am

good point...aren't they turbo's?
Back to top Go down
Natesriv
Addict
Natesriv

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 9:07 am

funny thing...thinking hard about keeping the Riv, or getting an 80's vette instead...and then getting an LTZ Sonic 1.4 Turbo...
Yeah...I bought this... 2012-Chevrolet-Sonic2
peppy (not Si RPM'y) but leather... and closer to 40mpg (with lighter foot)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yeah...I bought this...   Yeah...I bought this... Empty

Back to top Go down

Yeah...I bought this...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next