Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

RECLINER TROUBLE

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

Name : Ray
Merit : 5

RECLINER TROUBLE  Empty
PostSubject: RECLINER TROUBLE    RECLINER TROUBLE  EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 6:11 pm

The Recliner Part Of My Seat Work When They Want To Both Seat Do The Same Thing Anybody Know What The problem Is HELP
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2687212/1995-buick-riviera
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

Name : Samuel
Merit : 11

RECLINER TROUBLE  Empty
PostSubject: Re: RECLINER TROUBLE    RECLINER TROUBLE  EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 6:39 am

I just had the same problem with some seats I put in. The mechanism is not too hard to replace. I had a ladder with a dropcloth on it to set the seats on to work on them. Move your seats all the way forward, T45 Torx is what you'll need to remove, send the seat all the way back again, push back of seat forward, prop seat with a ratchet, carefully disconnect wiring, then fold seat as much as you can and remove.The rigging and stuff has to come off. Flip it upside down and you will see the black motor closest to the front is the recline motor, it has two rubberish looking tubes coming off of it like a cyborg! Those go to plastic gearing attached to rods then carefully bang out the pins that are farthest to the back of the seat. One is difficult to remove but can be done. Take the rods and lift them up and they will come out. You can probably get some seats from the boneyard or let me know I can get you a price from the GM dealer if needed.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/theacetomato
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

RECLINER TROUBLE  Empty
PostSubject: Re: RECLINER TROUBLE    RECLINER TROUBLE  EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 9:35 am

I REALLY THINK IT A POWER ISSUE CAUSE BOTH SEATS DO THE SAME THING
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

RECLINER TROUBLE  Empty
PostSubject: Re: RECLINER TROUBLE    RECLINER TROUBLE  EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 4:05 pm

You've had this car a while... was there an electrical change before this seat moving voodoo happened, like maybe you had an alarm or stereo installed?
Back to top Go down
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

RECLINER TROUBLE  Empty
PostSubject: Re: RECLINER TROUBLE    RECLINER TROUBLE  EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 8:06 pm

NO .....ITS BEEN DOIN THIS SINCE I GOT THE IN 06. THE SEATS MOVE THEN THEY STOP
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

RECLINER TROUBLE  Empty
PostSubject: Re: RECLINER TROUBLE    RECLINER TROUBLE  EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 8:48 pm

I have to admit I don't really understand your problem. Correct me if I am wrong. You are saying that the recliner part of your seats work when they want to and both seats do the same thing.

Does that mean

a) your seat recliners operate sometimes by themselves without somebody pressing either of the recliner control switches
b) when you use a control switch to recline one seat they both recline and they do/do not work consistently with the switch; if the switch is not touched the seats don't move
c) the recliner on each seat may or may not operate when you press the respective recliner control; if the switch is not touched the seats don't move
d) when you use a control switch for a recliner you can hear the motor run but the seat may or may not recline; if the switch is not touched the seats don't move
e) when you use a control switch to recline one seat they both recline and they do/do not work consistently with the switch; even if the switch is not touched the seats sometimes move
f) something else...

IIRC the switches can be disassembled and cleaned with CRC Lectra-Motive or radio shack TV Tuner Cleaner. THe toher thing that occurrs to me is that the wiring under the seats hankgs kinda loose and shold be lashed to the seat frames with little plastic clips. With age the clips break (bored passengers put their feet/packages/waterbottles/used coffee cups/what have you under the seats and bust them off) and the wires get caught in the tracks. This causes various kinds of goofy behavior. The fix is to pull the seats and fix the wires - either splice in replacements or use electrical tape/liquid electrical tape to repair the insulation.

So - is the problem one of (a) thru (f)? I don't get it.
Back to top Go down
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

RECLINER TROUBLE  Empty
PostSubject: Re: RECLINER TROUBLE    RECLINER TROUBLE  EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 4:16 pm

OK WHAT IS HAPPENING IS YOU TRY TO MOVE THE RECLINER PART OF THE SEAT IT WILL MOVE SOMETHINGS BUT IT ALWAYS STOPS YOU CAN HEAR THE MOTOR RUNNING WHILE THE SEAT IS MOVING BUT THEN IT STOP & BOTH SEATS ARE DOING THE SAME THING

Back to top Go down
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

RECLINER TROUBLE  Empty
PostSubject: Re: RECLINER TROUBLE    RECLINER TROUBLE  EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 4:16 pm

IM GOING TO PULL THEM OUT &CHECK THE WIRING
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

RECLINER TROUBLE  Empty
PostSubject: Re: RECLINER TROUBLE    RECLINER TROUBLE  EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 4:40 pm

Do you know whether you are trying to move the seats beyond their movement limits - that is, straighter up or flatter down than they are designed to move? They don't sit up but so straight, and after they recline a certain amount they don't move anymore although I think the motors will make noise.

In other words, based on your description I get the impression that you may simply be trying to move the seats further than they are designed to move. I can not really tell from here.
Back to top Go down
BigRay1125
Enthusiast
BigRay1125

RECLINER TROUBLE  Empty
PostSubject: Re: RECLINER TROUBLE    RECLINER TROUBLE  EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 10:51 pm

OK THANX
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

RECLINER TROUBLE  Empty
PostSubject: Re: RECLINER TROUBLE    RECLINER TROUBLE  Empty

Back to top Go down

RECLINER TROUBLE
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   General Tech :: Interior-
Jump to: