Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Steering issues

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
abaucom
Enthusiast

Name : Al Baucom
Merit : 22

Steering issues Empty
PostSubject: Steering issues   Steering issues EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 7:31 pm

A few weeks ago I posted on "Bakes and Suspenion" a question I had regarding replacing outer tie rods. Input from this forum was most helpful.
When reviewing this site, regarding tie rods, came across another thread:
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t1580-steering-shudder-pump-or-rack-noise?highlight=Power+steering

Please understand I am second owner of my 1998. It was my aunts auto and left to me in 2005 when she died. Reason: The 1998 white Riviera was her fourth white Riviera and I advised her on all her Riviera purhases over the decades (4 white Riviera's). When I imported my aunts 1998 Riv. to Canada in 2005, we/her daughter could not find service records from 1998 - 2005.

Called my GM dealership in Canada today for a VIN search regarding records on my 1998 first bought in South Carolina. Surprised to find generator was replaced under warrenty 11/24/2000.

What I was looking for was to find if my auto had sevice:
Service Bulletin Num : 990232007 (TSB # 99-02-32-007A Titled "Steering Vibration / Shudder / Moan During parking maneuvers on dry pavement)
Date of Bulletin: SEP 01, 1999
NHTSA Item Number: 608376

Apparently my 1998 was not serviced on a steering issuse per the TSB issued Sept. 01, 1999.

Question: Anyone of this site had a Riviera repaired with this TSB? How difficult is this fix? Should I have my GM dealerhip fix this TSB or my trusted mehanic?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

Steering issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering issues   Steering issues EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 9:17 pm

abaucom wrote:
A few weeks ago I posted on "Bakes and Suspenion" a question I had regarding replacing outer tie rods. Input from this forum was most helpful.
When reviewing this site, regarding tie rods, came across another thread:
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t1580-steering-shudder-pump-or-rack-noise?highlight=Power+steering

Please understand I am second owner of my 1998. It was my aunts auto and left to me in 2005 when she died. Reason: The 1998 white Riviera was her fourth white Riviera and I advised her on all her Riviera purhases over the decades (4 white Riviera's). When I imported my aunts 1998 Riv. to Canada in 2005, we/her daughter could not find service records from 1998 - 2005.

Called my GM dealership in Canada today for a VIN search regarding records on my 1998 first bought in South Carolina. Surprised to find generator was replaced under warrenty 11/24/2000.

What I was looking for was to find if my auto had sevice:
Service Bulletin Num : 990232007 (TSB # 99-02-32-007A Titled "Steering Vibration / Shudder / Moan During parking maneuvers on dry pavement)
Date of Bulletin: SEP 01, 1999
NHTSA Item Number: 608376

Apparently my 1998 was not serviced on a steering issuse per the TSB issued Sept. 01, 1999.

Question: Anyone of this site had a Riviera repaired with this TSB? How difficult is this fix? Should I have my GM dealership fix this TSB or my trusted mechanic?

IIRC this issue is a hydraulic "hammering" related to the configuration of the high pressure hose. If you ever replace the PS hoses you'll get the modified configuration although the TSB box won't be checked for your car. Not sure that having a dealer or an indie do it matters all that much - what matters is, do you have that problem? You r build may have been late enough that you did not get one of the hammering hoses. I can't tell from here.

FYI my '98 still has the original hoses.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
abaucom
Enthusiast

Name : Al Baucom
Merit : 22

Steering issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering issues   Steering issues EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 11:16 am

My 1998 has an early build date, Aug. 06, 1997. Yes, my Riv. Power steering has a little bit of buzz/binding sound turning sharp when parking. No vibration. "Condition
Some customers may comment on a steering vibration, shudder or moan noise when steering during parking maneuvers on dry pavement." My 1998 Riviera has slight power steering vibration, shudder during parking maneuvers on dry pavement and you can hear a slight binding/buzz noise when turning wheels sharply at very low speed (parking on dry pavement).

It has made this slight buzz sound only when parking and turning wheels sharply since I inherited it from my aunt’s estate in 2005 (50,000 miles). Just by chance found this power steering TSB on this site when looking for threads on tie rods. Per previous thread I will be replacing both outer tie rods come spring because durng pre winter storage inspection two weeks ago, my mechanic determined left outer tire rod needs replacement at 67,505 miles. So I will put the power steering TSB on my list of things to do when it comes out of storage in the spring and get the dealership to quote a price. Again, thanks to all on this board who responded and offered input. I have a wonderful dealership that did other work on the Riviera and pre ordered my 2011 Camaro (made my way) from them with 100% satisfaction on both sales and service experience.

Just thought this low speed parking power steering buzz sound was natural to this model until I read the TSB found on this site.. This slight buzz sound is only heard when I park in my underground parking space and turn sharply at low speed when backing into my parking spot. My aunt would not have noticed it as she parked straight in and out of her garage. She was very particular when it came to her Riviera’s as this was her fourth white Riviera. Might be said it was her 5th. She ordered and received a 1997 made her way, fully optioned but without a sunroof as it would mess up her hair. For decades every time she decided to buy a new car I had a two week notice to come to South Carolina and go car shopping with her, only me, not my uncle or her son-in-law, not my brother who was an auto designer. Did not matter where I was living (NYC, Philadelphia, Dallas) when I received my two week notice I reported to South Carolina and spent a few days test driving new cars with my aunt even though she preferred buying white Riviera’s. From new she said her 1997 had a buzz sound when driving fast which was unacceptable. Not a wind leak issue. She loved driving and some days would just head out and drive around the state just for the fun of driving back roads fast. After she took delivery of the 1997 Riv. (and after a few high speed back road trips) she took it back to the dealership four times and they found nothing wrong. Unacceptable. So I told her to call the South Carolina regional office and complain, which she did. They brushed her off, unacceptable. So I called the regional office from my home in Dallas and suggested to take this little old lady seriously. Her family had been buying nothing but Buicks since the 1960s, and she would be taking the Riviera back to the dealership weekly, demand a loner car until the issue was fixed to her satisfaction, and she was prepared to run a weekly 1/8th page ad in the newspaper auto section describing her experience until the buzz was eliminated. My phone call did the trick as few days later the dealer called her and said they would replace her Riviera with a new one at no cost her. Not yet fully happy she insisted they also pay taxes and title fees etc. which they did. That is the story on why she received an early production 1998 exactly like her 1997, except for the high speed buzz she had found unacceptable

Sorry for the long post but wanted to clarify why I was asking the question if anyone else on this board had the TSB power steering issue done on their auto. Last week I called my dealership and after a VIN search they found the only warranty work on file was the generator was replaced Nov. 24, 2000 at the dealership in South Carolina. I love the style of the Riviera but to me this Riviera is not all about its beautiful style and driving pleasure, but it reminds me of my aunt. She was my mother’s sister, my second mother, and just a good friend over the years. She once told me she loved her Riviera’s because she felt young when she drove on the back roads in South Carolina and could drive fast. I have so many wonderful memories when I visited her and we would spend at least one day each visit just driving in her white Riviera, and she did like driving fast. Still have her red umbrella in the door pocket where she left it last time she drove it to her weekly beauty parlor appointment, three days before she peacefully died in her sleep at her home.

It is my car now and I tinted windows, added sequential rear turn lights. Only want to maintain it to the standards my aunt would have expected if it was still her car. And yes, I do drive it at high speed on back roads during warm weather months. It is not a garage queen and now driven about 1,500 miles a year and always serviced twice yearly. Currently 67,505 miles. South Carolina auto always family owned and garage kept, imported to Canada late 2005, never been driven in snow.

My 1998:
Steering issues 98RivierasidePearlWhite-vi
Steering issues 98RivieraPearlWhitefrontrear-vi
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Steering issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering issues   Steering issues EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 6:35 pm

Ummm -- Al, you might be ressured to know the replacement hoses are less than $40 each, maybe as little as $18 depending on how you buy them.. I can see why you might want the TSB applied to your car. If you just want the TSB applied for whatever reason why not talk to a dealer. Remember that TSBs are not recalls and applying them is at usually your own cost unless the dealer can cover them (all or part) under goodwill.

Thinking back on it I think on my car when they replaced the rack they replaced the hoses. Not sure.

Point is, if it's just the upgrade you want and you are not worried about a dealer logging the installation it can be done for short money. If it is that you want it "officially" logged then it's time to see a GM dealer. And if the rack was replaced it might be the TSB was applied by default if the hoses were replaced as well.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

Steering issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering issues   Steering issues EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 8:05 pm

albertj wrote:
Ummm -- Al, you might be ressured to know the replacement hoses are less than $40 each, maybe as little as $18 depending on how you buy them.. I can see why you might want the TSB applied to your car. If you just want the TSB applied for whatever reason why not talk to a dealer. Remember that TSBs are not recalls and applying them is at usually your own cost unless the dealer can cover them (all or part) under goodwill.

Thinking back on it I think on my car when they replaced the rack they replaced the hoses. Not sure.

Point is, if it's just the upgrade you want and you are not worried about a dealer logging the installation it can be done for short money. If it is that you want it "officially" logged then it's time to see a GM dealer. And if the rack was replaced it might be the TSB was applied by default if the hoses were replaced as well.

Where have you found them for $40? the upgraded pressure hose for mine is $120 at the dealer and like $80 at cost.

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Steering issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering issues   Steering issues EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 8:09 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
albertj wrote:

Where have you found them for $40? the upgraded pressure hose for mine is $120 at the dealer and like $80 at cost.

My pricing is for my '98 Riv. Start with rockauto.com and work form there. You're gonna ROFL when you see the pricing. Also check others (amazon, advanceauto.com, etc.)

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Steering issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering issues   Steering issues EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 8:12 pm

The part i need is 26059162 $84.33 (cheapest ive found) which is the upgraded TSB part.
the ones rockauto carries are stock parts: ACDELCO Part # 36366500 More Info {#19147755} for $29

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Steering issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering issues   Steering issues EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 8:20 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
The part i need is 26059162 $84.33 (cheapest ive found) which is the upgraded TSB part.
the ones rockauto carries are stock parts: ACDELCO Part # 36366500 More Info {#19147755} for $29

Thanks for the clarification - I was told the non-Delco replacements used the updated design. You're saying I'm wrong and that's OK. By the way did you try putting your updated Delco stock number into RockAuto?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Steering issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering issues   Steering issues EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 8:43 pm

albertj wrote:
Mr.Riviera wrote:

Thanks for the clarification - I was told the non-Delco replacements used the updated design. You're saying I'm wrong and that's OK. By the way did you try putting your updated Delco stock number into RockAuto?

I did try that. Im not saying you are wrong or right, just that the GM part # i have from the TSB cant be found on rockauto and im not risking buying a OEM part that will inhibit the same symptoms.

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

Steering issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering issues   Steering issues EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 10:37 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
albertj wrote:
Mr.Riviera wrote:

I did try that. Im not saying you are wrong or right, just that the GM part # i have from the TSB cant be found on rockauto and im not risking buying a OEM part that will inhibit the same symptoms.

Makes sense to me. My comments were based on comparing the upgraded part (dealer had one whole I was in - this was some years ago) to the ones available from NAPA and CarQuest at that time (at respective stores). Things change, and it may no longer be the case that the aftermarket is putting in the revised design. My understanding was that they were in order to prevent or at least forestall comebacks.

by the way...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GM-POWER-STEERING-HOSE-ASSEMBLY-OEM-26059162-/400252552325

has a picture.

..and for those of you wondering what the fuss is about,

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/heavychevy396/2009-12-08_204148_moan_noise.pdf

is an upload of the TSB supposedly.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Steering issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering issues   Steering issues Empty

Back to top Go down

Steering issues
Page 1 of 1