Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Tie rod/Alignment help

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
artlock
Amateur
artlock

Name : Art
Merit : 0

Tie rod/Alignment help Empty
PostSubject: Tie rod/Alignment help   Tie rod/Alignment help EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 9:04 am

Hello everyone. I just changed my outer tie rods on my 95 Supercharged Riviera. Everything was pretty straight forward since I followed the write up on this site. The steering feels off a bit but I figure that is due to needing an alignment. One thing that I did notice is that the passenger side wheel sticks out further than the drivers side. I cam't say for sure if this was like that before I changed the tie rods or not. I just noticed it this time because I was trying to make sure they were straight as possible until I got them aligned. Is it normal for the passenger wheel to stick out about 1/2 inch more than the drivers side? If not, what could be the problem? And will the alignment correct it? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
rivparadise
Fanatic
rivparadise

Name : Samuel
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Tie rod/Alignment help   Tie rod/Alignment help EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 9:21 am

I'm quite sure the tires should sit evenly on both sides. Does the top or bottom, front or back side stick out further or the whole tire? You may want to check the placement of the tire in the wheel well too. Worst case is your Control Arm is bent. I'm sure a good Alignment Technician will be able to find out what's going on. In the meantime I would get a few reference points and start taking measurements. Please let us know what you find out!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/theacetomato
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Tie rod/Alignment help   Tie rod/Alignment help EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 10:46 am

It may appear the wheel sticks out because your tie rod is very much out of adjustment. When you go in for the alignment, present your claim to the tech and ask his opinion on it. Or, just have them do the alignment without pointing it out. If there's really an issue, they will find it right away. You may be pleasantly surprised to find the problem goes away after the alignment.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
artlock
Amateur
artlock

Name : Art
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Tie rod/Alignment help   Tie rod/Alignment help EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks a lot guys! I'm getting the alignment in about a week. I just wanted to make sure my wheel wasn't about to fall off or anything. I'll keep you posted!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Tie rod/Alignment help   Tie rod/Alignment help EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 11:02 am

Cool. Oh, don't put too many miles on the tires during that time. 50 miles, okay. More than 100 miles and you could see some wear to the edge of your tires from the excessive toe. Good luck!

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tie rod/Alignment help   Tie rod/Alignment help Empty

Back to top Go down

Tie rod/Alignment help
Page 1 of 1