Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

95 sc

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jbeganny
Enthusiast

Name : John Beganny
Merit : 2

95 sc Empty
PostSubject: 95 sc   95 sc EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 12:39 am

My Riv humors me daily. Previously I have stated that my interior lights do not come on when I open the door. No big deal during daylight hours but at night it's a pain. Once in a while they operate but mostly no. Usually when I shut the car off and pull the key, when I open the door the radio shuts off as it should. Sometimes, not often, when I shut it down and open the door the interior lights come on as they should. Recently, when I opened the door to get into the car the interior lights came on, as they should, but would not shut off even after I started the car and shut the door. They stayed on for about 10 minutes as I drove the car, then they shut off. When I reached my destination I shut the car off, removed the key, and got out and shut the door and the radio kept right on playing. A half hour later it was still playing so I shut the radio off and tried it again and the display stayed lit. The next morning it was still on before I got in. I used the car and before the day was done it returned back to normal. Now it is back to having no lights come on when I open the door. Yes, they work with the switch. The same applies to both doors so I am thinking the problem is not with the doors but maybe a relay or ground. Anybody?
Back to top Go down
jbeganny
Enthusiast

95 sc Empty
PostSubject: 95 sc   95 sc EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 12:47 am

I should have mentioned that a while ago I was having a problem with my heater control. Sometimes it would not work and the weird part was that the transmission would not shift unless the heater was working. That went on for a couple of weeks but I am happy to announce that the tooth fairy came and fixed the problem. Out of nowhere, the heater works all the time and the tranny does too. The tranny works well when the heater is not on as well. This car has 65K and runs great. My theory is that it was not used for some time before I got it which is the worst thing for any vehicle. I think it is slowly fixing itself.
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

Name : Mike
Merit : 18

95 sc Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 sc   95 sc EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 12:56 pm

Here's a guess - your door switch is not closing intermittently. I would check that first for sure.

And if the switch is OK, then maybe the wiring in the door.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

95 sc Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 sc   95 sc EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 1:07 pm

I'd be cleaning and checking all grounds. ALL of them. Battery, body, etc. lots of body ground points for different things, PCM, lighting, etc. Somethings not quite right.
Back to top Go down
jbeganny
Enthusiast

95 sc Empty
PostSubject: 95 sc   95 sc EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 6:23 pm

Sniperdude I can't even find a switch in the doors but as I said I don't think the problem is there because it works the same way using either door. Deekster's idea about grounds is more likely but I tried to do the grounds a few weeks ago and I guess I just don't see what is right there. I checked the main ground from the battery and it was fine but I know there are many more and they confuse me. I am a little reluctant to mess with things I am not sure about. Thanks to both of you.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

95 sc Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 sc   95 sc EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 6:28 pm

The door switches are part of the latch in the Riviera. Maybe the latch is sticking. I would try lubing them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
jbeganny
Enthusiast

95 sc Empty
PostSubject: Re: 95 sc   95 sc EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 11:38 pm

Thanks Larry. I'll try that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content