Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rough start & idle, stalling

Go down 
+7
al_roethlisberger
AA
joshuadalegrimes
charlieRobinson
Abaddon
deekster_caddy
96rivie
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
96rivie
Enthusiast

Name : drew
Merit : 0

Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 4:05 pm

I cant afford all that, rather just get a new ride??
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 4:31 pm

I hear those words from people having car issues, and in most cases it's an emotional response, and doesn't make good economic sense. If you buy a used car for less than you would pay for an engine diagnostic and worst case scenario a complete engine overhaul, then you are limited to spend about $2500 on a new ride. How much better off are you going to be buying a car for $2500?

If you trade in the Riv for a brand new car, you'll get $1000 max trad-in, but then you're in for a $15-20k commitment.

If your Riviera is literally falling apart in every area (suspension, chassis, engine, transmission, body, interior) it could make sense to by a new or decent used car, but for just the engine, this is one of the least expensive to rebuild/replace. I had mine done last year and now it's like driving a new car. For the same amount I spent on rebuild, my best replacement option would be a used Kia or 10 year old Honda Civic. A year and a half later, I'm glad I kept the Riv.

Now, if you just want a new car, and have the extra money to spend, that's a whole different story. Try not to justify getting rid of the Riv on the cost of repair - it's almost always going to be less than any equivalent new or used car purchase.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
96rivie
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Yea it does seem that way after 9 months without my Riv
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 4:54 pm

Did you change the oil after doing your LIM gaskets? If not your oil probably has a lot of coolant in it, spilled down from the intake valley. Change it right away. If your oil light ever comes on (the red one) it means you have low oil pressure and you should stop the engine as soon as possible. That you drove it home could mean very bad things.

96rivie wrote:
I have to press the gas pedal. It turns on but loud ticking noise, and oil light is on. Also on the way home, loss alot of power then it died again. Suggestions anyone?
The ticking is probably from the lifters because they don't have enough oil in them.
Back to top Go down
96rivie
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 5:07 pm

drive home was 2mi tops... but no, I did not change the oil, and will do later today when i can get a ride to Parts store.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rough start & idle, stalling   Rough start & idle, stalling - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rough start & idle, stalling
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4