Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

How Do I Get a Riviera Door Open When the Latch is Broken?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Roger_FL
Special

Name : Roger
Merit : 0

How Do I Get a Riviera Door Open When the Latch is Broken? Empty
PostSubject: How Do I Get a Riviera Door Open When the Latch is Broken?   How Do I Get a Riviera Door Open When the Latch is Broken? EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 1:04 pm

A friend gave me a 97 Riviera and the door latch is broken. The door cannot be opened from inside or outside the car. All the how-to writeups say to remove the door panel to fix this. And to do that I need the door open! So how do I get the door open? I was thinking if I took as many screws off as I can maybe I can move the panel enough to work the latch. Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
ironclyde
Enthusiast
ironclyde

Name : Cody
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Get a Riviera Door Open When the Latch is Broken?   How Do I Get a Riviera Door Open When the Latch is Broken? EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 10:53 pm

Driver's or passenger side door? Does the lock actuator work?
Back to top Go down
Birdawgxx
Amateur

Name : Tenn Jeff
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Get a Riviera Door Open When the Latch is Broken?   How Do I Get a Riviera Door Open When the Latch is Broken? EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 6:57 pm

I had this same problem when I got my car. Passenger side wasn't used that much and rusted in position of shut and no-go unlatch at all times. Get yourself several wooden wedges to widen the gap between your inside door panel/cover and your outside part of the door. You're only going to be afforded so much more room, and it isn't going to be much! Probably in the neighborhood of 3/4 of and inch. Get a can of PB Blaster. Here's the tricky part. There's a small block that your door un-lock mechanism on the in side of your door (the rotating part that manually unlocks your car from the inside) connects to. If you can get UNDER that block with a robust hooked piece of wire (like a good old fashioned wire hanger from your closet) made into about a one inch hook. Spray that block that's frozen up with some PB and try and pull that block up from underneath. There's a part that has to move in an upward direction. I ended studying my door that would open with the inside panel off a lot. It's quite difficult to see, but not really that hard to accomplish. You don't have to flood the inside of you door with PB Blaster either. If you do, you'll run the risk of ruining your door seals with the solvent. The difficult part is you really can't see what you're doing while you are doing it. Oh yeah, a really bright flashlight to shine down in the gap is crucial. Oh yes, there's a really good write-up on how to get the inside panel off the door with several nice photos too.
Back to top Go down
99Rivman
Aficionado
99Rivman

Name : Randall
Merit : 89

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Get a Riviera Door Open When the Latch is Broken?   How Do I Get a Riviera Door Open When the Latch is Broken? EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 8:04 pm

I had a door stick the other day and was able to get a slim-jim into it to get it open. After looking some I found the door was not un-locking completely, what I did was catch the latch mechanism with the slim-jim and released the door. Probably the same principle Jeff mentions, I just didn't use the wedges and flashlight?

I was worried my door handle repair had gone bad, and since my passenger side has broken I wasn't sure how I was going to get into it, AND it was running when this happened!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/99Rivman
Roger_FL
Special

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Get a Riviera Door Open When the Latch is Broken?   How Do I Get a Riviera Door Open When the Latch is Broken? EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 11:37 am

ironclyde wrote:
Driver's or passenger side door? Does the lock actuator work?

Passenger side. I guess I don't know if the lock actuator works or not. I can hear it when I hit the lock switch, but maybe the mechanism has become disconnected. I will roll the window down and try to peek down there and see what I can see.
Back to top Go down
Roger_FL
Special

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Get a Riviera Door Open When the Latch is Broken?   How Do I Get a Riviera Door Open When the Latch is Broken? EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 11:39 am

Birdawgxx wrote:
Oh yes, there's a really good write-up on how to get the inside panel off the door with several nice photos too.  

It seems the write up I saw the link to the pics was broken. I will look again.
Back to top Go down
Roger_FL
Special

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Get a Riviera Door Open When the Latch is Broken?   How Do I Get a Riviera Door Open When the Latch is Broken? EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 11:42 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Get a Riviera Door Open When the Latch is Broken?   How Do I Get a Riviera Door Open When the Latch is Broken? Empty

Back to top Go down

How Do I Get a Riviera Door Open When the Latch is Broken?
Page 1 of 1