Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Grinding noise when turning right

Go down 
+3
KnottyEagle
AA
Mikel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mikel
Enthusiast

Name : Mikel
Merit : 2

Grinding noise when turning right Empty
PostSubject: Grinding noise when turning right   Grinding noise when turning right EmptySat Mar 28, 2015 5:02 pm

Hello,
I have had two '97 Rivieras and both always made a humming/grinding noise when turning the wheel right under power. This is particularly noticeable making tight turns (I can feel a slight vibration from the floor), but even on the highway I can make the noise appear (very subtle) when I steer right under power. CV joints look OK and I would assume a bad wheel bearing would make noise all the time and certainly would evolve over the combined 150K miles I've put into both Rivieras.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Mikel
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Grinding noise when turning right   Grinding noise when turning right EmptySat Mar 28, 2015 7:41 pm

Bearings typically hum under load (weight transfer), not under throttle unless you are transferring weight. As it gets worse it will hum all the time, and might make other sounds. If you can make the noise when taking a hard turn at speed - without throttle - it is very likely the bearing on the opposite side you are turning.

If a clicking sound when turning the wheel, check CV shafts.

130-150K miles is right about the life expectancy for our front bearings. Rear bearings can last forever.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Mikel
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Grinding noise when turning right   Grinding noise when turning right EmptySat Mar 28, 2015 8:55 pm

Thank you, but this has been happening for the last 70,000 miles, that's why the component wear angle is puzzling, as one would think it would get progressively worse.
Back to top Go down
KnottyEagle
Fanatic
KnottyEagle

Name : Daymon
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Grinding noise when turning right   Grinding noise when turning right EmptySat Mar 28, 2015 9:24 pm

What you're describing sounds like what mine does, except It's when I turn left. I don't know if It's the sole cause of the noise, but my front transmission mount needs to be replaced. You may want to take a look at that if you haven't already.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Grinding noise when turning right   Grinding noise when turning right EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 9:17 am

Wheel bearings do not always make noise when going straight. How much play is in the wheel bearing? Test by jacking the wheel off the ground and push/pull the top and bottom of the tire, and then the front and rear of the tire. Top and bottom includes lower ball joint play, side to side includes tie rod end play, but you should still get a feel for the wheel bearing play especially if you have someone watch the lower ball joint.

The FWD GM wheel bearings tend to go bad after anywhere from 120-150,000 miles. Some last longer but in my experience if it's over 120,000 miles or so the wheel bearings are suspect to begin with. Expect bearing life to be shorter with aftermarket wheels of larger diameter or differing offset...
Back to top Go down
Rivillac
Enthusiast
Rivillac

Name : Kevin
Merit : 13

PostSubject: Re: Grinding noise when turning right   Grinding noise when turning right EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 9:56 am

Kinda out of left field here, but I get a similar noise in my Riv, and it seems to be in the power steering system.  Very noticeable under slow roll on a sharp turn (u-turn), and also a slight buzz feel coming through the steering wheel.  Seems like I saw there was a TSB (which I can't find right now), involving changing power steering lines.  I just kinda learned to live with it as it doesn't seem to affect anything else.

EDIT: Found the GM TSB # 990232007.

Last edited by Rivillac on Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mikel
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Grinding noise when turning right   Grinding noise when turning right EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 10:01 am

Rivillac wrote:
Kinda out of left field here, but I get a similar noise in my Riv, and it seems to be in the power steering system.  Very noticeable under slow roll on a sharp turn (u-turn), and also a slight buzz feel coming through the steering wheel.  Seems like I saw there was a TSB (which I can't find right now), involving changing power steering lines.  I just kinda learned to live with it as it doesn't seem to affect anything else.  

Interesting! I'm going to put the car in D and give it gas at stop while turning the wheel, to see if I can replicate the noise.

Thank you all.
Back to top Go down
Mikel
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Grinding noise when turning right   Grinding noise when turning right EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 1:36 pm

I parked the car with the passenger side wheels on a very tall curb, to simulate side G forces from turning to the right, and with the car in neutral it would make that noise/vibration.

It was an engine mount.

Thank you all.
Back to top Go down
kylan_13

Name : dylan
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: Grinding noise when turning right   Grinding noise when turning right EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 7:10 pm

glad you figured it out. I had the same problem for a while and I thought it was the cv axle but it ended up being the motor mounts.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Grinding noise when turning right   Grinding noise when turning right EmptyMon Mar 30, 2015 10:18 am

Mikel wrote:

I parked the car with the passenger side wheels on a very tall curb, to simulate side G forces from turning to the right, and with the car in neutral it would make that noise/vibration.

It was an engine mount.

Thank you all.

Good call, glad you figured it out!
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Grinding noise when turning right   Grinding noise when turning right EmptyMon Mar 30, 2015 10:28 am

That's one WASTED mount.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grinding noise when turning right   Grinding noise when turning right Empty

Back to top Go down

Grinding noise when turning right
Page 1 of 1