Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Loud grinding like noise when sharp turning at tand still or slowly moving

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
meechie115
Rookie

Name : Meechie
Merit : 0

Loud grinding like noise when sharp turning at tand still or slowly moving  Empty
PostSubject: Loud grinding like noise when sharp turning at tand still or slowly moving    Loud grinding like noise when sharp turning at tand still or slowly moving  EmptyTue Oct 03, 2023 7:47 pm

My 97 Riviera makes rough noises when turning sharp or all the was . From the inside sides like a grinding noise but Im not sure but it makes me cringe and there's no noise when I jack it up and turn . Is it rack and pinion? I filled up my fluid it's probably over filled but could it be bad fluid from sitting two years ? It's only when I turn out of parking spaces or tighter turns especially when I'm not moving or moving slow and turning .
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

Loud grinding like noise when sharp turning at tand still or slowly moving  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loud grinding like noise when sharp turning at tand still or slowly moving    Loud grinding like noise when sharp turning at tand still or slowly moving  EmptySun Oct 08, 2023 6:24 am

It could be a lot of things but I would check the subframe bushings. Your front frame or cradle as it's called could be moving.
Back to top Go down
meechie115
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Loud grinding like noise when sharp turning at tand still or slowly moving    Loud grinding like noise when sharp turning at tand still or slowly moving  EmptySun Oct 08, 2023 3:19 pm

Basically My whole front end needs replaced the struts the tire rods and maybe my cv joints . Oh and control arm bushings.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Loud grinding like noise when sharp turning at tand still or slowly moving    Loud grinding like noise when sharp turning at tand still or slowly moving  EmptySun Oct 08, 2023 5:47 pm

They are certainly contenders.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Loud grinding like noise when sharp turning at tand still or slowly moving    Loud grinding like noise when sharp turning at tand still or slowly moving  EmptyMon Oct 09, 2023 6:53 am

First things first...
Unless the power-steering fluid looks and smells pristine, jack up the front of the car and put a pan under the return line to the pump.  Use a pair of Vice-Grips to hold the end of the return line in the pan.  Fill the reservoir to the top, cap it, and start the engine & slowly turn the wheel side to side until you run out of fluid.  If the results look or smell dirty, do it again & then re-attach the return hose & fill it per instructions...  The final fill can be "de-bubbled" by slowly turning the wheel back & forth with the engine off, again, per the shop manual.  
Finally, these systems are INSANELY sensitive to fluid level...  In my own (1997) experience, GM's removing the vent-hole from the cap causes a lot of problems by causing the system to "pull a vacuum" if the fluid is not perfectly filled.  After changing 2 steering pumps in a row - because the first one was crap - I had to overfill the reservoir until I was done working the wheel lock-to-lock with the engine OFF, and then gently doing the same thing with the engine & pump running...  It was, to say the least, a PITA - but I've had 6 months with NO groans, moans or assist problems.

meechie115 likes this post

Back to top Go down
meechie115
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Loud grinding like noise when sharp turning at tand still or slowly moving    Loud grinding like noise when sharp turning at tand still or slowly moving  EmptyMon Oct 09, 2023 7:46 pm

I do need to do that I just been noticing other problems I looked under the car and I seen that I have a lot of work to do in the front end but that needs to be done as well I added more fluid but I need to empty the power steering fluid and change it all
Back to top Go down
KenBluder
Amateur
KenBluder

Name : KenBluder
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Loud grinding like noise when sharp turning at tand still or slowly moving    Loud grinding like noise when sharp turning at tand still or slowly moving  EmptyWed Nov 01, 2023 8:27 pm

A bad strut bearing is another possibility. I have one going and the sound you describe is similar to what I am hearing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loud grinding like noise when sharp turning at tand still or slowly moving    Loud grinding like noise when sharp turning at tand still or slowly moving  Empty

Back to top Go down

Loud grinding like noise when sharp turning at tand still or slowly moving
Page 1 of 1