Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Bolt missing from block

Go down 
+3
Sir Psycho Sexy
Abaddon
dswitzer9865
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dswitzer9865
Rookie

Name : Switz
Merit : 0

Bolt missing from block Empty
PostSubject: Bolt missing from block   Bolt missing from block EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 5:09 pm

Hey Everybody,

I was replacing a fuel line on my 95 riv and decided to pop off the plastic cover that sits on top of the supercharger. I noticed a pool of oil and antifreeze in one of the valleys between the intake and valve cover. Thought holy crap where did this bolt go and what was it even for? It not an intake bolt, just looks like a hole in the block. Ill try to get a pick up when I get home from work. Has this happened to anyone else? What was this hole even for??

thanks
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Bolt missing from block   Bolt missing from block EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 5:22 pm

Pic first....
Back to top Go down
dswitzer9865
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Bolt missing from block   Bolt missing from block EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 5:46 pm

Bolt missing from block Img_2012
A litte close... the hole is threaded i think 10mm?
Bolt missing from block Img_2014
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Bolt missing from block   Bolt missing from block EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 5:55 pm

Well that's kinda weird. I just went and looked on my Riv. I have that "U' shape in the LIM, but the head underneath is flat....no hole. Can soak up the oil with a rag and get a better look at it?
Back to top Go down
dswitzer9865
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Bolt missing from block   Bolt missing from block EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 6:10 pm

Bolt missing from block Img_2015
Back to top Go down
Sir Psycho Sexy
Junkie
Sir Psycho Sexy

Name : Tyler
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: Bolt missing from block   Bolt missing from block EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 6:29 pm

I just took a look at mine and it's the same as Scott's. No hole.
Back to top Go down
dswitzer9865
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Bolt missing from block   Bolt missing from block EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 6:49 pm

Haha well awesome, thanks for looking guys... It looks like 10mm or so bolt, I guess I'll plug it and move on. Sure is a weird one. Thanks again
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

PostSubject: Re: Bolt missing from block   Bolt missing from block EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 2:03 pm

We have 3 series 1 S/C'd engines. All, including the one on my car have that hole with no bolt in it. It doesnt go to anywhere so there couldnt be fluid coming from there.. It looks like it was just there from the manufactufacturing of the head. Heres a picture of that hole on a spare head in my basement. Lol

Bolt missing from block D3418883-5DE1-4942-BC32-B7415184B5FE_zpsmtwbvtsc

Its either the LIM gasket or Valve cover gasket thats leaking.
Back to top Go down
dswitzer9865
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Bolt missing from block   Bolt missing from block EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 2:15 pm

Ah okay, thank you for that pic. I didn't have a way to get that shot. Could the leak be from either the lim or valve cover since there is both antifreeze and oil in the puddle?
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Bolt missing from block   Bolt missing from block EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 2:18 pm

Yup, Dave is right on. series one has it, but its not a through hole. That's not where its coming from, just where its staying. Likely LIM if there is coolant, not valve covers.

Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Bolt missing from block   Bolt missing from block EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 2:21 pm

Alright thanks again. That is concerning. I have the puddle cleaned up and will keep an eye on it. God knows how long it took to create that puddle since it was under the plastic cover. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Bolt missing from block   Bolt missing from block EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 3:01 pm

I believe that hole in the head is for a mount bracket to attach to on some cars for the alternator or sensors or something like that.
Back to top Go down

Name : Andrew
Merit : 123

PostSubject: Re: Bolt missing from block   Bolt missing from block EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 3:26 pm

Actually its the mirror for the one in the rear head, which does have a bracket that mounts to it. Holds the evap purge solenoid.

Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Bolt missing from block   Bolt missing from block EmptySun Jul 05, 2015 12:05 pm

Karma wrote:
Actually its the mirror for the one in the rear head, which does have a bracket that mounts to it. Holds the evap purge solenoid.

This is correct - it's on all of the 3800 heads and is used for a bracket. If yours "doesn't have a hole" there, try poking something in there to move the grease out of the hole. It's there.

To the OP - yours is leaking antifreeze from the LIM gaskets. They need to be replaced. (Lower Intake Manifold) Make sure you get the revised gaskets made of aluminum instead of plastic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bolt missing from block   Bolt missing from block Empty

Back to top Go down

Bolt missing from block
Page 1 of 1