Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Alternator derived transmission issue . . . again

Go down 
+3
chitown_riv98
deekster_caddy
Asinnn
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Z-type
Aficionado
Z-type

Name : Andrew Zamiska
Merit : 63

Alternator derived transmission issue . . . again - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator derived transmission issue . . . again   Alternator derived transmission issue . . . again - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 8:59 pm

Very good to know about this problem. It makes perfect sense though, and I'm glad you got it fixed!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Alternator derived transmission issue . . . again - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator derived transmission issue . . . again   Alternator derived transmission issue . . . again - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 07, 2016 9:51 pm

Asinnn wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your help with the Riviera. And a special "Thank you" to Lance. Without Lance's help in obtaining a thermistor, the Riviera would still be parked. Yes, swapping out the thermistor certainly cleared up the shifting issue. Junkyards in my area do not keep complete cars for very long and I had no luck locating a thermistor locally.

This time the only thing affected was the shifting. When the alternator went bad a couple of years ago, shifting, the ac/heater controls and digital readouts on the dash all went haywire.

Attached are photos of the old thermistor cut open to show the internal chip. Unfortunately, it broke in the process. I have tried contacting one Thermistor supplier but it didn't look like anything they offer.  He didn't think it was a thermistor at all until I sent him the pages from the GM repair manual. So, finding spares in junkyards seems to be the only solution. I am also attaching another image which talks about testing the thermistor and lists the GM cars that used them.

Alternator derived transmission issue . . . again - Page 2 Thermistor2015-1sml

Alternator derived transmission issue . . . again - Page 2 Thermistor2015-2sml

Alternator derived transmission issue . . . again - Page 2 Thermistor2015-3sml

Alternator derived transmission issue . . . again - Page 2 ThermistorListsml

+1 Thank You to Lance.

For people in the future that have this problem: If you can copy the numbers off of the thermistor body you can replace it using a cross-reference; if you use the info in the Thermistor thread on this site you can get a superior replacement. The replacement does not look like the original all that much... and it does not have to.

Albertj
Back to top Go down

Alternator derived transmission issue . . . again
Page 1 of 1