Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Clickity Clack... Help diagnose this sound

Go down 
+2
albertj
llamalor2112
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Clickity Clack... Help diagnose this sound - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clickity Clack... Help diagnose this sound   Clickity Clack... Help diagnose this sound - Page 2 EmptyMon May 21, 2018 1:15 pm

llamalor2112 wrote:
I actually used to work for a dealership here in Washington and called my parts guy. He said that the only way to tell the design difference is by pulling the balancer and checking for a date code. They will however get me a discontinued oem part at cost+10 which is nice.

I think we are getting somewhere!

Looks like the thing to do is get the right bolts (per the old write up by Codith) and a replacement Woodruff key (there are common hardware from any full-line hardware store) and pull the balancer anyway. Then you can see if any of its rubber is torn. As for which balancer, as you know the one for the SC engine has 2 v-groove tracks for the serpentine belts, side by side, but the one for the NA engine has only one. I suspect the magic in these balancers is the chemical composition of the elastomer insert.

You'd be in good shape with the OE part, my guess is the Dayco may be better, The tone wheels are fastened better on the Daycos than the OEs, if the rockauto pictures are to be believed, although I'm not sure that makes that much difference.
Back to top Go down

Clickity Clack... Help diagnose this sound
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Riv Performance ::   Supercharged 3800 Tech :: Series I Engine & Transmission-
Jump to: