Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

AutoTap

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

AutoTap Empty
PostSubject: AutoTap   AutoTap EmptyMon Jul 22, 2019 11:38 pm

Can anyone tell me if the AutoTap OBDII Diagnostic Scanner has any value these days.
I purchased the complete kit in a case and purchased the Keyspan dongle for it as well.
Loaded the software onto my old laptop and never used it. Derick (the Deekster) ended up tuning my vehicle with maps using HP Tuners, he had already proven on the dyno with the same exact mods that I had. Then we went out on the highway for some full throttle runs and a few tweeks later I was good to go.

Anyhow, AutoTap (www.autotap.com) VIA Vehicle Interface Adapter (www.vehicleinterface.com.)

Is it even worth the cost of shipping anymore. Comes in a Nice Red case. happy

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this. I just didn't know where to go.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

AutoTap Empty
PostSubject: Re: AutoTap   AutoTap EmptyTue Jul 23, 2019 8:47 am

Rickw wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the AutoTap OBDII Diagnostic Scanner has any value these days.
I purchased the complete kit in a case and purchased the Keyspan dongle for it as well.
Loaded the software onto my old laptop and never used it. Derick (the Deekster) ended up tuning my vehicle with maps using HP Tuners, he had already proven on the dyno with the same exact mods that I had. Then we went out on the highway for some full throttle runs and a few tweeks later I was good to go.

Anyhow, AutoTap (www.autotap.com) VIA Vehicle Interface Adapter (www.vehicleinterface.com.)

Is it even worth the cost of shipping anymore. Comes in a Nice Red case. happy

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this. I just didn't know where to go.

Back on May 12 of this year one was posted on eBay for $84/OBO and sold for some not-disclosed price south of $84.

For the rest of you: to check out past sales on eBay type in the name of what you're checking on the best you can in the eBay search box. Then hit enter or click the Search button. The results will be current listings. Next, scroll down and look at the left hand sidebar. There will be a list of items under a subheading "Show only" and boxes next to captions "Cold items" and "Completed items" - just tick those boxes and re-run the search. The system will return data on recent sales of the item you are interested in.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

AutoTap Empty
PostSubject: Re: AutoTap   AutoTap EmptyWed Jul 24, 2019 10:25 am

Albert,
Thanks for the above info.
I'm hoping someone can use this software and hardware for their Riv.
It is all still usable, as far as I know.
The Model and Revision is for our Riv's so that's not a problem.
Anyone wish to make an offer, go ahead. I'll consider all offers since I have no use for it any more.
Rick
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

AutoTap Empty
PostSubject: Re: AutoTap   AutoTap EmptyMon Jul 29, 2019 8:49 pm

Hi Rick. I still use my AutoTap scanner from time to time to scan friends or coworker's cars for DTC codes and to monitor & troubleshoot. If they have a GM car, even better, but it will show the basics on most any car post-1995. It's a great tool that unfortunately has no support anymore, as John and the AutoTap team have closed shop (their cust service was top-notch 15-20 years ago, btw).

The problem with AutoTap, I believe, is three things:

1) Most people just want to know DTC codes when something goes wrong. Autozone and many other parts stores will scan & reset the light for free. It's understandable that many folks would take advantage of that service rather than buy and install a software.

2) Basic code readers are available for $20 or less. They come in two forms: small plastic boxes that you plug in to your car's OBD port, and the apps that do literally the same thing as AutoTap on your smart phone or tablet. They're often wireless now, too, which is a plus.

3) Most tuner packages (e.g. HPTuners) come with their own scan tools, so those of us who are hardcore into tweaking the PCM will have no need for something like AutoTap, though to be fair, I never used PowrTuner's included scan tool because AutoTap was much better. Still, most won't cough up the extra $100-200 just for a slick scanning tool.

So for me, AutoTap is like a trusty old beater car. It's worth more to me to keep for just-in-case than it is to sell. Good luck with your sale. I'm sure there's someone out there who's looking for it.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru

AutoTap Empty
PostSubject: Re: AutoTap   AutoTap EmptyTue Jul 30, 2019 11:01 am

Thanks for the info Aaron. Do you know if it will work on any GM vehicle and is so what is the cut-off year for it. I may still be able to use it if it will work on a 2005 Chevy.
Thanks,
Rick
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

AutoTap Empty
PostSubject: Re: AutoTap   AutoTap EmptyWed Jul 31, 2019 9:52 pm

I've used mine on all makes, including Audi, Toyota and Subaru, up through the 2010s. I don't think there's a cut-off, as the OBDII is still supported (and isn't going away), however cars made after mid '00s started using the CAN-bus protocol, which is part of OBDII, but offers more and different functionality. Autotap won't access the CAN-bus features as far as I know, but it will do the basic things like read/erase DTC codes and read/log basic system parameters.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Rickw
Guru

AutoTap Empty
PostSubject: Re: AutoTap   AutoTap EmptyFri Aug 02, 2019 5:12 am

Thanks for the info Aaron. I will load the software in my new(er) laptop and try to read what I can on this 2005 Chevy that's in the driveway.
Right now there are three Jeep products, a pre OBD Volvo and 2 later model chevy's in the driveway.
Needless to say it's hell navigating in my driveway.
I did have it paved years ago to handle 3 cars across and about 4 cars deep. So glad I did as my G/F has filled the house and the bedrooms with friends and her brother that needed a place to stay, temporarily. Her brothers house burned down and am waiting for him to spend the money to rebuild. But he hasn't even had the land cleared yet. What the frig. Another freeloader.
We have a 5 bedroom house and it was just me and her for a long time. Can't wait for it to get back to normal.
But she has a big heart and won't turn anyone away. One thing I do love about her, but enough is enough. It's been over a year now. Thankfully I can honestly tell them that I can't work on their cars due to my back problems. That's a relief. They see all the tools in my garage and ask, but I can shut them down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

AutoTap Empty
PostSubject: Re: AutoTap   AutoTap Empty

Back to top Go down

AutoTap
Page 1 of 1