Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MontyHaul53
Special

Name : MontyHaul
Merit : 0

Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare Empty
PostSubject: Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare   Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare EmptySun Dec 29, 2019 3:46 pm

Hello, long time follower but first time poster. Great information posted by all and I recommend this site always. Ran into a real beast removing our '95 Riviera SW while trying to replace the clock spring with a decent salvaged one. I've removed this SW before several years ago when tracing the horn problem which I bypasses with a dash switch until I could get back to the CS. Upon removal this time, my puller got the SW pretty much off the spline but got stuck right at the last moment. Had to wiggle while using impactor to finally get her to free. Ouch...found out the SW back ring stayed on the column shaft!

Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare 49294900427_0ed79bc779_m

Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare 49294899942_d4cbb13363_m

This left me with a problem, just how to successfully remove the now stuck back ring. I've only got a fraction over 1/8" clearance between the ring back and the CS. I had to improvise a 6" pully puller with a clamp to get it to stay on without flying into my face. Using only hand pressure, I can't get it to budge under a 1/16" .

Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare 49294897382_d556464e5f_m

Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare 49294703941_bf5de87c9a_m

Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare 49294211833_6e6c9502ec_m

Unfortunately, the only option appears to be cutting off the old CS then looking into how to remove the SW back ring. I'm probably going to have to stark looking for a used SW to make this work since one of the rivets on the back of the SW has also broken off. Any ideas for the great guru's! bonk

-MontyHaul help"

Last edited by MontyHaul53 on Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare   Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare EmptySun Dec 29, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi,MontyHaul53.Don`t know why but I can`t see pics! Tried everything but still.... If you can repost.
Back to top Go down
MontyHaul53
Special

PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare   Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare EmptySun Dec 29, 2019 4:05 pm

Let me double check to put them into a working file and post the update.
Back to top Go down
MontyHaul53
Special

PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare   Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare EmptySun Dec 29, 2019 4:34 pm

URL's fixed.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare   Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare EmptySun Dec 29, 2019 6:39 pm

cool Monty.....yeah , now I can see .Let me look.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare   Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare EmptyMon Dec 30, 2019 9:26 am

I have a red SW complete I'd send you for short money and postage. If interested send a PM. You could have it recolored by a steering wheel repairer.  You'll have to shop around for that, the only one I know is craftcustoms.com, they can add wood or carbon fiber tot he wheel as an overclad/trim. Or for about $30.-  you can recolor/refinish it yourself, see http://www.leatherique.com/steering-wheels.html. Another $70 or so gets you the leather, right color and brand new, from Wheelskins (wheelskins.com)
Back to top Go down
MontyHaul53
Special

PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare   Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare EmptyFri Jan 03, 2020 10:25 am

Over the Holiday I was able to obtain a good SW at the same salvage yard here in Texas. I'll have to get it re-dyed. I have made several other attempts to remove the back ring from the column but no success. Even trying to push it back on hasn't worked. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare   Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare EmptyFri Jan 03, 2020 1:36 pm

Ohhh yeah Month. Keep us informed. I'm very interested.
Back to top Go down
MontyHaul53
Special

PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare   Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare EmptyFri Jan 03, 2020 4:50 pm

I did find this like in a jeep Forum on a similar issue (with photos).

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/broken-steering-wheel-hub-stuck-shaft-3152281/

Looks like I've got my work cut out for me.
Back to top Go down
MontyHaul53
Special

PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare   Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare EmptySun Jan 05, 2020 11:56 am

Spent too much time trying to find a 2 jaw puller that would work so took thing in my own hands and carefully destroyed the clock spring behind the stuck rear steering wheel hub, removed the snap ring, grabbed my trusty 2 jaw large puller (which now fits perfectly behind the hub), and two strokes on the torque wrench, had it finally free!

Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare 49334497177_06619ea325_w

Put the salvaged CS on and am starting to put everything back together today with fingers crossed. What a P-I-T-A!

Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare 49333812853_c30716bf33_w

-MontyHaul gavel yay
Back to top Go down
MontyHaul53
Special

PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare   Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare EmptySun Jan 05, 2020 6:01 pm

Finally back together. Horn still doesn't work without using my bypass button. Still will need to send SW out to be refurbished, but all the RDO controls work on this salvaged AB. king

To Do: Cruise Cntrl, AC, Drivers tilt seat motor (going soon), SC snout bearing refurbish kit (already purchased), Rear side interior panel recover with Tan to cover salvaged panel we just picked up. Wife really loves this car of hers and I'm doing everything to keep her (Riviera) together!

Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare 49336157186_7604dedd4f_c[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iaEGFL[/url]
Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

Name : Christen
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare   Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare EmptyThu Jan 09, 2020 5:30 pm

In a quick nutshell, how tough is it to just pull the steering wheel off. I think I know of one in a junkyard, but from a '96. I think I"m going next weekend as we have 3 in the yard, 95-97. Rare event.
Back to top Go down
MontyHaul53
Special

PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare   Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare EmptyFri Jan 10, 2020 11:18 am

Type in Google or whatever you use "98 Buick steering wheel removal" and there are several YouTube videos that will help. I didn't find the directions in the Write-Up's. Key here is to disconnect the battery and pull the AB fuse and leave it for about 30min.'s before you start the removal process. I wouldn't use an impact wrench to remove the wheel nut as I did, just use a regular wrench instead. A standare steering wheel pulley will do the trick.
Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

Name : Christen
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare   Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare EmptyFri Jan 10, 2020 11:36 am

No doubt. Since the cars are in the junkyard, no worries. But good advice anyway. YouTube is a Godsend these days, and I sure appreciate all the advice dispensed and tips/tricks that help you learn from other peoples discoveries or mistakes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare   Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare Empty

Back to top Go down

Steering Wheel Removal Nightmare
Page 1 of 1