Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Couple of suspension questions please

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

Couple of suspension questions please Empty
PostSubject: Couple of suspension questions please   Couple of suspension questions please EmptyThu Feb 06, 2020 7:07 pm

To fix a shaking problem (the rubber is disintegrated & the wheel has play) I am planning to have lower control arms, outer tie rod ends, sway bar links & upper & lower body bushing kit installed. The motor mounts are new, am I missing anything?

I have a choice of Dorman, Moog foreign made or Moog USA made control arms. The Moog USA is double the price, is it worth it?

Maybe this is a stupid question but there are no upper control arms listed, is it part of the subframe and are there any other bushings? Thanks guys, you have helped me so much.

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Couple of suspension questions please   Couple of suspension questions please EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 4:43 pm

Make sure the new motor mounts are not damaged somehow.

Check wheel alignment and balance.

Check hub/rotor assemblies for runout.

If you check on the Dorman site you will see they sell 2 grades for front LCAs. You may have to shop on eBay for the better "Premium" grade. You may find they cost less than Moogs.

The Riv's suspension geometry eliminates upper control arms and also is why shaking and weird tire wear are such a Thing if the front end's not in good repair. Jack up the front on left or right, take off a wheel and just look, it's *really* simple.

Other bushings include subframe body mounts, there are six of them on the front end, and I don't know what "upper and lower body bushings" even are.

I'm pretty sure your motor mount on the nose of the engine by the water pump isn't new, and I don't know what to recommend that you do if you were to find it was faulty/failing.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Couple of suspension questions please   Couple of suspension questions please EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 5:24 pm

Motor mounts are good I did have them checked again, I bought a new oem mount for the big one by the radiator.

Wheels were balanced at least twice including 4 new tires, the car tracks straight and will be aligned after the work.

Good idea on the hub assemblies.

I will check ebay on the premium Doorman vs Moog problem solver USA lca's.

My sub frame mounts (I called them body mounts) are shot, I found a full kit on ebay.

Thanks Albert.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Couple of suspension questions please   Couple of suspension questions please EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 5:28 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
Motor mounts are good I did have them checked again, I bought a new oem mount for the big one by the radiator.

Wheels were balanced at least twice including 4 new tires, the car tracks straight and will be aligned after the work.

Good idea on the hub assemblies.

I will check ebay on the premium Doorman vs Moog problem solver USA lca's.

My sub frame mounts (I called them body mounts) are shot, I found a full kit on ebay.

Thanks Albert.

Talking about the can shaped mount by the water pump that the serp belts are routed thru, not the transmission mount on the lower frame rail by the radiator.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Couple of suspension questions please   Couple of suspension questions please EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 6:15 pm

Now I know what you're talkin about, I'll have to look at that as well. Even though I probably cannot replace it, correct?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Couple of suspension questions please   Couple of suspension questions please EmptySat Feb 08, 2020 10:32 pm

I was told they don't really wear out but I have heard of that. There are similar mounts for other cars, I suspect one could install the rubber from one or another of those into the Riv mount if you hollowed it out.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Couple of suspension questions please   Couple of suspension questions please EmptyMon Feb 10, 2020 11:00 am

I certainly hope I don't have to go through that.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Couple of suspension questions please   Couple of suspension questions please EmptyMon Feb 10, 2020 4:29 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
I certainly hope I don't have to go through that.

Easier than it sounds but not trivial. There are similar mounts for a number of cars, and the way the Riv's is made you could rebuild or have rebuilt the insert. See https://www.autohausaz.com/vw-auto-parts/vw-scirocco-engine_mount-replacement.html for example inserts. Getting it in there would be the tough part admittedly. but such an insert for a different V6 should work fine as the vibrations being damped will be very similar.

Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Couple of suspension questions please   Couple of suspension questions please EmptyMon Feb 10, 2020 5:34 pm

I will check that mount. The lower arms and body mounts will be first b/c they are definitely shot.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Couple of suspension questions please   Couple of suspension questions please EmptyTue Feb 11, 2020 11:38 am

carguy8888 wrote:
I will check that mount. The lower arms and body mounts will be first b/c they are definitely shot.

Yeah, the upper mount will probably be OK unless if the lower ones were wack long enough the vibrations will bust the upper one.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Couple of suspension questions please   Couple of suspension questions please EmptyTue Feb 11, 2020 6:46 pm

Hopefully w/ only 60k.
Back to top Go down
mbletion

Name : Robert Cruise
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Couple of suspension questions please   Couple of suspension questions please EmptyMon Feb 08, 2021 8:28 am

I wonder if they have Bilstein Shocks for the Buick Riviera.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Couple of suspension questions please   Couple of suspension questions please EmptyMon Feb 08, 2021 6:58 pm

Gabrial is the way to go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Couple of suspension questions please   Couple of suspension questions please Empty

Back to top Go down

Couple of suspension questions please
Page 1 of 1