Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Help Reading ALDL logs

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
thewashman
Rookie

Name : Rick Russell
Merit : 0

Help Reading ALDL logs Empty
PostSubject: Help Reading ALDL logs   Help Reading ALDL logs EmptyMon May 04, 2020 8:51 am

Hello All,

I purchased a Bluetooth/USB ALDL reader off ebay to help diagnose an erratic idle. Its intermittently revving up on idle to about 2500RPMs and when driving it seems to be dropping the RPMs every 5-10 seconds and it will stall every now and again but starts right back up. Any input is appreciated. I've attached all three files from ALDL Droid.

ALDL Droid Readings
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Help Reading ALDL logs   Help Reading ALDL logs EmptyTue May 05, 2020 11:37 am

Could be a bad idle air control valve or bad instructions to the idle air control valve from the PCM. Or both. My guess is that the problem is consequent to your car's flooding. PCM can't see or does not believe the pintle position info it's getting from the throttle body.
Back to top Go down
thewashman
Rookie

Name : Rick Russell
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Help Reading ALDL logs   Help Reading ALDL logs EmptyWed May 06, 2020 6:30 am

albertj wrote:
Could be a bad idle air control valve or bad instructions to the idle air control valve from the PCM. Or both.  My guess is that the problem is consequent to your  car's flooding. PCM can't see or does not believe the pintle position info it's getting from the throttle body.

I have had Pintle codes in past but always cleaned it to make it go away. I almost forgot that it doesn't want to shift until i get down on the pedal at least halfway? A custom ordered EPROM chip could be set to bypass the EGR correct? Also on a cold morning it doesn't start to happen until car is about halfway to temp. SES light is coming on when the erratic revving occurs do you have any idea what can I use to pull it with this type of reader? It has USB or BT connection and I got those logs from ALDL scan app. I also Bought ALDL droid but cant get it to work with their config files. Just installed new AC delco coils, plugs and wiring and it runs like a bat out of hell for about 5 minutes cry
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Help Reading ALDL logs   Help Reading ALDL logs EmptyWed May 06, 2020 3:58 pm

thewashman wrote:
albertj wrote:
Could be a bad idle air control valve or bad instructions to the idle air control valve from the PCM. Or both.  My guess is that the problem is consequent to your  car's flooding. PCM can't see or does not believe the pintle position info it's getting from the throttle body.

I have had Pintle codes in past but always cleaned it to make it go away. I almost forgot that it doesn't want to shift until i get down on the pedal at least halfway? A custom ordered EPROM chip could be set to bypass the EGR correct? Also on a cold morning it doesn't start to happen until car is about halfway to temp. SES light is coming on when the erratic revving occurs do you have any idea what can I use to pull it with this type of reader? It has USB or BT connection and I got those logs from ALDL scan app. I also Bought ALDL droid but cant get it to work with their config files. Just installed new AC delco coils, plugs and wiring and it runs like a bat out of hell for about 5 minutes cry

Don't bother bypassing the EGR, just replace it with say a Delphi and be sure your replacement is actually new. Or to save $ if you luck up on a 94 or 95 BOP with the 3800 chances are it will fit and be the right one, the yard guys can tell you. People don't junk their cars over EGRs.

The pintle I am talking about is the one in the Idle Air Control solenoid on the throttle body. IT does not have much to do directly with the EGR, it just jets air into the TB at idle to control idle speed and when it gets dirty the car runs poopy like you describe. If you have not removed and cleaned the TB and associated air passages, you're probably (over)due.

BTW I did not look at your files, I can not access them.

To pull codes you need a Tech I or Tech II or compatible. Tech I's come up on eBay from time to time. Your headache simply is that the car has OBD II style plug and reads out OBD I style. Do a search on this site and (somewhere) you will find names or a list of scanner models that work.

As for EPROM work I would not bother with that either... BUT if you insist, try these guys: http://www.gmtuners.com/eprom/

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help Reading ALDL logs   Help Reading ALDL logs Empty

Back to top Go down

Help Reading ALDL logs
Page 1 of 1