Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off. Empty
PostSubject: Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off.   Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off. EmptyMon Jul 13, 2020 7:24 pm

I bought my car with pinstripe on one side, the other side was faded to non existent. The balance of the faded side came off no problem. I thought my buddy could polish the other side off with a wheel when he detailed the car but it was not moving. I tried lacquer thinner which made no difference either. Any suggestions or for $150 I can re-install the stripes.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off.   Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off. EmptyTue Jul 14, 2020 12:27 am

Lots of search results - Link
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off.   Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off. EmptyTue Jul 14, 2020 9:18 am

carguy8888 wrote:
I bought my car with pinstripe on one side, the other side was faded to non existent. The balance of the faded side came off no problem. I thought my buddy could polish the other side off with a wheel when he detailed the car but it was not moving. I tried lacquer thinner which made no difference either. Any suggestions or for $150 I can re-install the stripes.

If you can get the stripe repainted on for $150 do it and don't ever look back (and I'll drive my Riv to your painter for that deal). The OE stripe on the Riv is not a pinstripe actually, it is a "coach line" and only a few cars have actual OE painted coach lines -- Rolls Royce, and some BMWs are the only ones I know.

The one that did not come off with the wheel is probably really original, and is under the clear coat. The one that came off was probably repainted after collision work.

So after getting that pinstripe repainted, it would be smart to airbrush clear over it and buff to blend.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off.   Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off. EmptyTue Jul 14, 2020 2:11 pm

Coach lines, eh? I did not know that. Sad to think how many unappreciated coach lines have went to the crusher.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off.   Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off. EmptyTue Jul 14, 2020 3:24 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Coach lines, eh?  I did not know that.  Sad to think how many unappreciated coach lines have went to the crusher.

I think they get appreciated only to the extent a fuss is made. I am not sure they were applied by hand at the factory, I've no info about that and would kind of expect a robot.

*IF* you knew what you were looking for, you were impressed. If not, then not.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off.   Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off. EmptyTue Jul 14, 2020 9:34 pm

When you said coach lines I was thinking of a bus LOL. Both sides of the car were definitely paint striped. It might be worth getting it done just so you can come and visit. I messed up the other side so either I am going to have to figure out how to remove it or have both sides done. first I have to get the incorrect struts out of the car that the previous owner put in. The rest of the car did come out nice.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off.   Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off. EmptyWed Jul 15, 2020 12:34 am

I went out and looked at mine again, they're definitely tape. IIRC someone said years ago that Rivs did not come with any pinstriping stock, it's all dealer add-on.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off.   Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off. EmptyWed Jul 15, 2020 9:55 am

Dealers would make extra money by adding pinstripe to cars that did not have it from the factory. It was my family's business for decades. My car definitely has a factory paint stripe or carriage stripe according to Albert.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off.   Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off. EmptyWed Jul 15, 2020 12:40 pm

Jack the R wrote:
I went out and looked at mine again, they're definitely tape.  IIRC someone said years ago that Rivs did not come with any pinstriping stock, it's all dealer add-on.  

Wrong.  The dealers could add them on but a coach line was a factory option, and it's on my build sheet too.

Last edited by albertj on Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off.   Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off. EmptyWed Jul 15, 2020 12:41 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
Dealers would make extra money by adding pinstripe to cars that did not have it from the factory. It was my family's business for decades. My car definitely has a factory paint stripe or carriage stripe according to Albert.

Yep. If your guy will restore it right for $150 - go for it!
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off.   Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off. EmptyWed Jul 15, 2020 8:14 pm

I want to throw in new struts in the front first and then I'll deal with it.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off.   Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off. EmptySat Aug 22, 2020 3:08 pm

Albert,
Coach line as you call it is complete for $75, it does look much better.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off.   Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off. EmptySat Aug 22, 2020 5:05 pm

Jack the R wrote:
I went out and looked at mine again, they're definitely tape.  IIRC someone said years ago that Rivs did not come with any pinstriping stock, it's all dealer add-on.  

Rivs with no pinstripe stock? No that was wrong. It was always an option and I think it came on just about every 98 and 99. However my understanding is they were usually replaced with tape or not replaced when the car was repainted for whatever reason.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off.   Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off. EmptySat Aug 22, 2020 5:05 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
Albert,
Coach line as you call it is complete for $75, it does look much better.

Who did it? Just wondering, did you airbrush clear over it?
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off.   Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off. EmptySat Aug 22, 2020 10:57 pm

A guy that stripes motorcycles did it. No clear over it but he said it's not coming off. Looks factory to me. I can post pics but I'm sure you know what it looks like.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off.   Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off. Empty

Back to top Go down

Can't get one side of my oe paint pin stripe off.
Page 1 of 1