Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

driver side mirror

Go down 
+2
Rickw
Rivieraz
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rivieraz
Enthusiast
Rivieraz

Name : tommy z
Merit : 1

driver side mirror Empty
PostSubject: driver side mirror   driver side mirror EmptyThu Aug 13, 2020 12:24 am

I found a fully functional driver side mirror (with working glass)are they hard to replace? how long does the glass last and is there anyway to prolong its life? would covering it when parked help?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

driver side mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: driver side mirror   driver side mirror EmptyThu Aug 13, 2020 12:57 am

You found the complete assembly including the housing.?
Does it need to be painted to match your car.?

Assuming it's the complete assembly I would just install it and be grateful that you found one.

If it is just the glass assembly, is it a heated and dimming mirror.? If so, be EXTREMELY careful trying to replace the glass into your existing housing.

I bought a perfectly good used mirror, heated and dimming for my 98 and was successful in removing the old glass but unsuccessful installing the new/used glass part. I broke the glass and was not happy nor was I able to find another replacement unit with a heater and dimming capability.

So I just bought a cheap plain mirror and glued it to the old mirror and lived with it.

Costly mistake on my part.

Just a heads up for you. Others on this forum can better explain the best way to install just the mirror glass without breaking it. I've proven I'm not a reliable source of info. just thought I'd share my mistake with you.

To answer your question, No I do not think covering it up will prolong the life of the tint, if that's what your asking.
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

driver side mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: driver side mirror   driver side mirror EmptyThu Aug 13, 2020 2:51 am

I move the mirror so there is a gap between the mirror and its housing and then use heat gun to carefully warm up everything inside. The same trick before installation, along with greasing both posts and sockets. That way, I believe, I minimize chances of breaking anything. I have removed/installed mirrors on both sides, zero broken glass so far.
My '97 doesn't have dimming/heated mirrors, so I'm planning to install Aurora heated mirrors - the glass assembly only, I mean. Where I live, Aurora parts are easier to find.

Last edited by DeepFrozen on Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rivieraz
Enthusiast
Rivieraz

driver side mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: driver side mirror   driver side mirror EmptyThu Aug 13, 2020 2:54 am

driver side mirror S-l16017
driver side mirror S-l16018
Back to top Go down
Rivieraz
Enthusiast
Rivieraz

driver side mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: driver side mirror   driver side mirror EmptyThu Aug 13, 2020 2:55 am

I believe the color of my car is Adriatic blue.how can I find the exact color
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

driver side mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: driver side mirror   driver side mirror EmptyThu Aug 13, 2020 8:10 am

Rivieraz wrote:

Paint shop will mix it for you and put it in a (good quality) rattle can.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

driver side mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: driver side mirror   driver side mirror EmptyThu Aug 13, 2020 10:38 am

Rivieraz wrote:

Look at the underside of the spare tire cover in the trunk. There is a label listing all the options on the car. At the bottom of the label, next to BC/CC is the paint code.

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/images/paint-codes/buick-paint-code-label-1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

driver side mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: driver side mirror   driver side mirror EmptyThu Aug 13, 2020 10:38 am

Rivieraz wrote:

Look at the underside of the spare tire cover in the trunk. There is a label listing all the options on the car. At the bottom of the label, next to BC/CC is the paint code.

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/images/paint-codes/buick-paint-code-label-1.jpg

Back to top Go down
Rivieraz
Enthusiast
Rivieraz

driver side mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: driver side mirror   driver side mirror EmptyThu Aug 13, 2020 12:09 pm

awesome thank you,
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

driver side mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: driver side mirror   driver side mirror EmptyThu Aug 13, 2020 4:40 pm

Rivieraz wrote:
I found a fully functional driver side mirror (with working glass)are they hard to replace? how long does the glass  last and is there anyway to prolong its life? would covering it when parked help?

My driver side outside mirror was fine until about 2009 when I changed jobs and didn't park in a garage all the time.  It took a few years to turn gold.

After about 12 years in outdoor use, it now has 'double vision.'

My wild guess is that covering it might not work; on a BMW forum I read the failure is due to *heat.*
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

driver side mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: driver side mirror   driver side mirror EmptyThu Aug 13, 2020 4:46 pm

albertj wrote:
Rivieraz wrote:

We all know that they die.  Does anyone know why?

Has something to do with the Auto Dim feature.  Mine was gold when I bought the car in 2004.  I bought a Burco redi-cut replacement mirror and epoxied it over the original mirror glass.  Been that way since 2004.  The heated mirror feature works, it conducts through the new glass.  Good enough for me.

See my post about mid page in this thread,

https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t4700p125-faq-side-mirror-problems-heated-auto-dimming-tilt?highlight=mirror

Back to top Go down
Rivieraz
Enthusiast
Rivieraz

driver side mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: driver side mirror   driver side mirror EmptyThu Aug 13, 2020 11:24 pm

well as long as I don't expose it to a lot of sunlight or heat it will be fine.LOL also I'm not sure if mine had heat but the new one does will it complicate installment?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

driver side mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: driver side mirror   driver side mirror EmptySun Aug 16, 2020 1:47 pm

Rivieraz wrote:
well as long as I don't expose it to a lot of sunlight or heat it will be fine. LOL   also I'm not sure if mine had heat but the new one does will it complicate installment?
AFAIK all the auto-dim mirrors had heat. The heater does not get all that hot, BTW.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

driver side mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: driver side mirror   driver side mirror EmptySun Aug 16, 2020 2:37 pm

Rickw wrote:

Assuming it's the complete assembly I would just install it and be grateful that you found one.

I take it the Riv mirror is different than the Aurora mirror?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

driver side mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: driver side mirror   driver side mirror EmptySun Aug 16, 2020 10:31 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Rickw wrote:

I take it the Riv mirror is different than the Aurora mirror?

Yes. Surprisingly, for all it's gee-whiz gizmos the Aurora did not have an autodim exterior mirror, just heat.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

driver side mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: driver side mirror   driver side mirror EmptySun Aug 16, 2020 11:29 pm

Are all Riv mirrors auto-dim?
Back to top Go down
Rivieraz
Enthusiast
Rivieraz

driver side mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: driver side mirror   driver side mirror EmptySun Aug 16, 2020 11:38 pm

hmmm? I think I leaped before actually looking?i didn't check the part number,i just read the listing it has the wavy lines at the bottom right pointing up, 25627688 is what I bought and was listed as OEM...NOS, its on gm parts but it doesn't mention dimming, chalk it up to a learning experience
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

driver side mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: driver side mirror   driver side mirror Empty

Back to top Go down

driver side mirror
Page 1 of 1