Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Removal of center console covers?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
insomsion
Special

Name : Travis
Merit : 0

Removal of center console covers? Empty
PostSubject: Removal of center console covers?   Removal of center console covers? EmptyTue Aug 25, 2020 1:27 pm

Howdy y'all hi , so I'm trying to find a way to remove the cover that holds in the ashtray and CD holder together, as mine is loose and bends at any pressure applied to it (I don't think its normal to be that loose?)

It looks like it might be just one big piece that can pop out, but I really don't feel like breaking any clips holding it in place, and I see some members have actually replaced the center CD holder with a storage cubby, but haven't seen any threads on how to remove the pieces dunce

Any help would be appreciated !
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Removal of center console covers?   Removal of center console covers? EmptyTue Aug 25, 2020 2:18 pm

Removal of center console covers? Center-console-cover

I don't think you need to remove the cupholder cover first. Try pushing it down it its recess and see if that works. Maybe you don't even have to do that. It's been years since I had my console apart.
Back to top Go down
insomsion
Special

Name : Travis
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Removal of center console covers?   Removal of center console covers? EmptyTue Aug 25, 2020 2:45 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Removal of center console covers? Center-console-cover

I don't think you need to remove the cupholder cover first.  Try pushing it down it its recess and see if that works.  Maybe you don't even have to do that.  It's been years since I had my console apart.

That diagram is helpful, so just fish around the edges with a flathead screw driver and undo the clips? I guess i should also ask if you remember how to undo the cupholder cover incase i need to do that .

As a side note, I have a 1998 Riviera/Auora service manual from '98 and it doesn't have a diagram for the center console like that, what manual is that diagram from? study
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Removal of center console covers?   Removal of center console covers? EmptyTue Aug 25, 2020 5:25 pm

97 FSM, the first book.  I doubt the design changed from 97 to 98.  

In my FSM the illustration is in section 8C, Instrument Panel, Gauges, and Console, pg 24.  There's an illustration on pg 22 that shows removal of the part that contains the cupholder.  The cupholder is a portion of a large part that is the entire top of the center console, including the storage area under the arm rest.  I'm 99% sure you won't need to touch it.

I don't remember using any tools to get mine out, but it wouldn't hurt to have a set of trim removal tools - link

I'd rather pry around with one of those plastic bars than a screwdriver.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Removal of center console covers?   Removal of center console covers? EmptyWed Aug 26, 2020 6:22 pm

The upper console trim plate pulls out. Open the cover over the cupholders, find places to grip it on both sides, pull straight back out of the console. Before you go pulling, inspect carefully to ensure a previous owner didn't try to fasten it in with screws or whatever.

IIRC the CD holder has a regular single-DIN mount.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removal of center console covers?   Removal of center console covers? Empty

Back to top Go down

Removal of center console covers?
Page 1 of 1