Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Axle Half Shafts

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Yardley
Enthusiast

Merit : 2

Axle Half Shafts Empty
PostSubject: Axle Half Shafts   Axle Half Shafts EmptyWed Sep 02, 2020 9:38 pm

Hi All. I need to replace my CV Axle shafts. OEM are not available through Buick any more. The last one I replaced on my previous '98 had to get replaced 3x. The first 2 were part store pieces and the boot on each shredded with less than 100 miles on it. POS. I actually replaced it with a used OEM shaft.

That being said, is any one aftermarket shaft better than another? RockAuto lists several brands. I don't want to replace these again in 2 weeks.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.1badriv.com
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Axle Half Shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axle Half Shafts   Axle Half Shafts EmptyWed Sep 02, 2020 11:03 pm

I replaced my driver side CV axle (an original Saginaw) after ~340,000 miles, to fix a stubborn mild vibration. Used an APWI. The passenger side had been replaced with a GSP quite some time earlier (more than 100,000 earlier) and is serving well.

If your boots are shredding that quickly, you need to consider taking a different approach to installation. Alternatively, consider one of the new Cardone 'heavy duty' axles that comes with thermoplastic outboard boots like the originals.
Back to top Go down
Yardley
Enthusiast

Merit : 2

Axle Half Shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axle Half Shafts   Axle Half Shafts EmptyThu Sep 03, 2020 7:44 am

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.1badriv.com
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

Axle Half Shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axle Half Shafts   Axle Half Shafts EmptyFri Sep 04, 2020 12:21 am

I agree with Albert on the Cardones. I have a local jobber that supplies parts to al the local auto repair shops that either stocks Cardone or can get them from their local warehouse and have them to me within 8 to 24 hrs. They are good to me in that they don't charge me the core charges they are supposed to charge because they know me well enough and know i will return the used parts quickly.
They are also right there to honor the Cardone warranty if something should happen.
I don't have to deal with Cardone, just the parts store.
I have been very happy with Cardone products over the years and they are only getting better as far as I am concerned.
Good luck on your shaft replacements. They are relatively easy to replace.
Back to top Go down
Cliff96
Enthusiast

Name : Cliff
Merit : 1

Axle Half Shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axle Half Shafts   Axle Half Shafts EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 3:24 pm

The car I just bought has a bad passenger axle caused by hitting a 2 foot deep pothole. Should they be replaced in pairs or can I just replace that one and be ok?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Axle Half Shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axle Half Shafts   Axle Half Shafts EmptySat Sep 05, 2020 10:13 pm

Cliff96 wrote:
The car I just bought has a bad passenger axle caused by hitting a 2 foot deep pothole. Should they be replaced in pairs or can I just replace that one and be ok?

Check control arm including ball joint, and strut tower. Check front subframe. Measuring reference points are in the FSM.

Consider replacing the 1/2 axle with a good *used* one for now, especially if you can find an OE with less than say 150K miles.

Cliff96 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Cliff96
Enthusiast

Name : Cliff
Merit : 1

Axle Half Shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axle Half Shafts   Axle Half Shafts EmptySun Sep 06, 2020 8:12 am

Good ideas. I know an old school alignment and tire guy. I will probably take the car to him to be looked at. He is honest and knowledgeable. The previous owner has those huge wheels on it they call dubs and he butchered the inside door panels adding on big blaster speakers. I just found good door panels at a salvage yard but they are not the same color. I'm hoping to be able to spray them the correct color.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Axle Half Shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axle Half Shafts   Axle Half Shafts Empty

Back to top Go down

Axle Half Shafts
Page 1 of 1