Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Are these wires factory?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

Are these wires factory? Empty
PostSubject: Are these wires factory?   Are these wires factory? EmptySat Dec 05, 2020 10:18 pm

Are these wires original?
Are these wires factory? 50685005647_4c97e5ab16IMG_20201205_154619084 by Brian Cohen, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Are these wires factory?   Are these wires factory? EmptySat Dec 05, 2020 11:50 pm

In all likelihood. The replacement Delco wires don't have plug numbers on them; I think you could special order them but you'd have to ask a GM parts counter person about that.

The original wires were quite durable. Enthusiasts like us eventually *have to* replace wires. I see many 3800 engines in the pick & pull that still have original wires, though.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Are these wires factory?   Are these wires factory? EmptySat Dec 05, 2020 11:50 pm

In all likelihood. The replacement Delco wires don't have plug numbers on them; I think you could special order them but you'd have to ask a GM parts counter person about that.

The original wires were quite durable. Enthusiasts like us eventually *have to* replace wires. I see many 3800 engines in the pick & pull that still have original wires, though.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Are these wires factory?   Are these wires factory? EmptySat Dec 05, 2020 11:57 pm

I'm thinking the 90-year-old lady that had this car probably did not do that LOL. I saw a couple of posts on here saying we should change plugs and wires but my car runs great. Should I change them anyway? The car has 70,000 mi but of course it's 20 years old.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Are these wires factory?   Are these wires factory? EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 6:09 am

I don't care about originality, if the car runs fine should I leave the plugs and wires alone?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Are these wires factory?   Are these wires factory? EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 3:09 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
I don't care about originality, if the car runs fine should I leave the plugs and wires alone?

Yes, *but* what you really should do is inspect. You'll want to make sure none of the terminals have loosened their internal connections to the core conductor, nor that the terminals have loosened such that they don't grip the spark plug tops or the coils well. You'll want to check to make sure that none of your terminals have (literally) vanished. Be sure to snap them back on well... if they loosen, they arc internally, turning the metal to a plasma and vanishing by ablation. This has happened to me twice on the wire to my #4 plug for reasons I've never figured out. I'm on my 4th set of wires; the 3rd was a Delco set I replaced because of my prior experience, not because they were not firing. 2nd was a Magnecor set, replaced them because one (the #4) failed (ablation) and Magnecor would not replace/repair it under warranty because it was dirty when I mailed it back to them for inspection. 1st was the original factory set and on that one the #4 wire terminal failed at the coil.

Yes I have replaced the coils and the ignition module.

No it does not bother me much, when I am doing springtime maintenance I just pull the connectors and inspect.

Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: Are these wires factory?   Are these wires factory? EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 3:29 pm

Ty, I will have them checked and pull one plug on my next oil change.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Are these wires factory?   Are these wires factory? EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 4:22 pm

carguy8888 wrote:
Ty, I will have them checked and pull one plug on my next oil change.

If it does not bug you to do, so I recommend you check them yourself.  The rear wires are a bit difficult to reach, and more than one tech has left one or more loose.  The rears are much easier to reach, by the way, from under the car.  Otherwise, if you've no misfire it might be better if you just left them alone. The original wires are, actually, quite good. They won't last forever but will run a very long time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are these wires factory?   Are these wires factory? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are these wires factory?
Page 1 of 1