Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

AC Evaporator Core Replacement DIY?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ubushaus
Rookie

Name : Joe Martinelli
Merit : 0

AC Evaporator Core Replacement DIY? Empty
PostSubject: AC Evaporator Core Replacement DIY?   AC Evaporator Core Replacement DIY? EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 5:11 pm

My AC stopped working and I asked my mechanic to look into it while I had my '96 SC in for an oil change. He told me it was not the compressor (yay!) but that the system would purge all of the freon within two days with a heavy odor in the interior. He is thinking it is the evaporator core and gave me the price tag of $1,400 to replace it. Since the system is already empty of freon, I am wondering if this is something I can replace myself then take back to him to recharge and test. Does anyone have experience doing this, or is this not a DIY job?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: AC Evaporator Core Replacement DIY?   AC Evaporator Core Replacement DIY? EmptySun Dec 06, 2020 9:31 pm

ubushaus wrote:
My AC stopped working and I asked my mechanic to look into it while I had my '96 SC in for an oil change. He told me it was not the compressor (yay!) but that the system would purge all of the freon within two days with a heavy odor in the interior. He is thinking it is the evaporator core and gave me the price tag of $1,400 to replace it. Since the system is already empty of freon, I am wondering if this is something I can replace myself then take back to him to recharge and test. Does anyone have experience doing this, or is this not a DIY job?

You would want to read the service manual to decide if you want to do this job yourself. I don't have direct experience with evap failure.

Albertj

Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: AC Evaporator Core Replacement DIY?   AC Evaporator Core Replacement DIY? EmptyMon Dec 07, 2020 3:18 am

This Car Wizards video immediately came to mind:

If I were you, I'd replace both the A/C evaporator and the heater core, it is a perfect example of "while you're there" job.

ubushaus likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AC Evaporator Core Replacement DIY?   AC Evaporator Core Replacement DIY? Empty

Back to top Go down

AC Evaporator Core Replacement DIY?
Page 1 of 1