Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Update on airbag replacement

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

Name : Mek
Merit : 2

Update on airbag replacement  Empty
PostSubject: Update on airbag replacement    Update on airbag replacement  EmptyTue Dec 15, 2020 7:11 pm

i haven’t been on here in a little bit, just been working and dealing with life. but im back with an update. i ended up getting a swivel socket and it did the trick with the hard to reach bolts. i took my whole dash off to get to the old airbag off, and i got a new one. i know it says do not puncture.. and i was trying so hard, but accidents happen, but ain’t no harm done.. at least i dont think so
Update on airbag replacement  2c8d9310
Update on airbag replacement  2f957910
Update on airbag replacement  4b641b10
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: Update on airbag replacement    Update on airbag replacement  EmptyTue Dec 15, 2020 7:16 pm

for the airbag module, ill be taking it off tomorrow and mailing it in to get the crash data reset. i found a pretty good reputable company that does it in 24 hrs! and that should pass her for inspection Update on airbag replacement  26a09d10
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: Update on airbag replacement    Update on airbag replacement  EmptyMon Dec 21, 2020 10:00 am

So, were they able to reset the code?
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: Update on airbag replacement    Update on airbag replacement  EmptyThu Dec 24, 2020 11:28 pm

DeepFrozen wrote:
i called safety restore just to double check if they could do the reset on this old a car and they said they don’t so i just got a refund and found a body shop that’d do it for $100. when i went, they scanned it free of charge and he told me i need to change the seatbelt pretesioners, but my seatbelts work well. they retract and detract just fine and arent locked. so i went for a second opinion and the codes were B1051 which is deployment commanded and B1071 which is internal sdm malfunction. i think the last code is referring to the crash data and after intensive research, i believe the B1051 is due to my clock spring cause the airbag in the wheel hasn’t been deployed. i was gonna take the wheel off and check to see if there was even an airbag in the new column but i havent got to that yet. but while i was pulling the replacement steering column i had the column disconnected from the axel and i think i turned the wheel a few times not knowing that the clock spring could break. so those are my educated guesses for now.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Update on airbag replacement    Update on airbag replacement  EmptyThu Dec 24, 2020 11:43 pm

bbyshrk wrote:
DeepFrozen wrote:
i called safety restore just to double check if they could do the reset on this old a car and they said they don’t so i just got a refund and found a body shop that’d do it for $100. when i went, they scanned it free of charge and he told me i need to change the seatbelt pretesioners, but my seatbelts work well. they retract and detract just fine and arent locked. so i went for a second opinion and the codes were B1051 which is deployment commanded and B1071 which is internal sdm malfunction. i think the last code is referring to the crash data and after intensive research, i believe the B1051 is due to my clock spring cause the airbag in the wheel hasn’t been deployed. i was gonna take the wheel off and check to see if there was even an airbag in the new column but i havent got to that yet. but while i was pulling the replacement steering column i had the column disconnected from the axel and i think i turned the wheel a few times not knowing that the clock spring could break. so those are my educated guesses for now.

I think you have to replace your belts and switches with parts from a junk car, or one place you were using, "Safety Restore" claims to repair pretensioner.  There is also https://oards.com/seatbelt-pretensioner-working-principle-and-replacement-cost/ that I saw on the web.

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: Update on airbag replacement    Update on airbag replacement  EmptyFri Dec 25, 2020 12:05 am

DeepFrozen wrote:

I think you have to replace your belts and switches with parts from a junk car, or one place you were using, "Safety Restore" claims to repair pretensioner.  There is also https://oards.com/seatbelt-pretensioner-working-principle-and-replacement-cost/ that I saw on the web.

yeah i thought so too but they’re not showing any signs of being deployed. they work perfect. i’ll probably try that if the clock spring isn’t the answer since thats cheaper than seatbelts. but even my horn isnt working and the buttons on the steering wheel do nothing and its making me suspect the clock spring
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Update on airbag replacement    Update on airbag replacement  EmptyFri Dec 25, 2020 12:17 am

bbyshrk wrote:
DeepFrozen wrote:

yeah i thought so too but they’re not showing any signs of being deployed. they work perfect. i’ll probably try that if the clock spring isn’t the answer since thats cheaper than seatbelts. but even my horn isnt working and the buttons on the steering wheel do nothing and its making me suspect the clock spring

Look in the service manual for seat belt replacement -- it probably discloses that there is an issue. Issues include:

1) the pretensioners are pyrotechnic and work once - your bags were deployed, you replaced the passenger one remember? You will have to replace the belts, at some point soon.

2) there is a switch that must be replaced IIRC.

3) a Tech II is needed to reset the computer.
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: Update on airbag replacement    Update on airbag replacement  EmptyFri Dec 25, 2020 12:32 am

albertj wrote:
bbyshrk wrote:
DeepFrozen wrote:

Look in the service manual for seat belt replacement -- it probably discloses that there is an issue. Issues include:

1) the pretensioners are pyrotechnic and work once - your bags were deployed, you replaced the passenger one remember? You will have to replace the belts, at some point soon.

2) there is a switch that must be replaced IIRC.

3) a Tech II is needed to reset the computer.
whats the IIRC? i haven’t looked into that yet
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Update on airbag replacement    Update on airbag replacement  EmptyFri Dec 25, 2020 7:22 pm

IIRC = if I remember correctly. Is not a component, just a warning smile

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Update on airbag replacement    Update on airbag replacement  Empty

Back to top Go down

Update on airbag replacement
Page 1 of 1