Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

update: column replacement

Go down 
+3
Jack the R
EyeDoc1
bbyshrk
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

Name : Mek
Merit : 2

update: column replacement  Empty
PostSubject: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptyTue Dec 08, 2020 2:15 pm

i got this column last week and it took me a couple days to break the ignition lock cylinder out without the keys, but i finally did it and got the cars original back in, the column is up now i just gotta connect all the connections.
update: column replacement  385ff710
update: column replacement  Beb5f510update: column replacement  5597da10
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptyTue Dec 08, 2020 2:19 pm

update: column replacement  37152410
update: column replacement  390da710
update: column replacement  2ef96010
Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptyTue Dec 08, 2020 2:21 pm

update: column replacement  F4d1a610

what was left of the old column
Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

Name : Christen
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptyThu Jul 29, 2021 8:59 pm

How did the job go. I"m doing this now as we speak.

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptyFri Jul 30, 2021 4:33 am

Why not replace the ignition cylinder and switch while you're in there? It might be good to change the housing too. I had to do all of those on a Silverado to solve an intermittent no-start. I don't know if the Riv is the same or not, but the Silverado has a security sensor on the ignition cylinder housing that is prone to failure.

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

Name : Christen
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptyFri Jul 30, 2021 11:24 am

Jack and Bbyshark...indeedy there IS that pesky "Passkey II" security system issue, but I bypassed it using the resistor trick found by cutting the thin black casing containing 2 white wires from the keyway module and taking those two very skinny white wires and inserting a connector block with the appropriate resistor, that measures what you'd find on your current key.  Yes, it disables the security system AND if you're worried about theft, yes, go for it and replace the whole thing.  There are plenty of posts about bypassing the PassKey II system and people sell the 11 or 13 (I can't remember the exact number) of resistors on eBay.  Overview of Passkey II and Passkey III with cheesy music is enclosed. Note their depictions of Passkey II shows an "orange" wire. On the 1998 Buick Rivieria, it's black. Trust me. Having spent 3 days in 90+ degree heat, I've become very familiar with the Riv's wiring harness below the steering column

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL2TsztF4us

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 2:10 pm

EyeDoc1 wrote:
How did the job go.  I"m doing this now as we speak.

it went smooth, the hardest part was breaking the old lock cylinder, and all that took was patience. not a hard job, but the bolts by the gas and brake pedals might stress you out if you dont have fancy swivels or socket attachments. these are final product pictures update: column replacement  436df910
update: column replacement  5105cd10
update: column replacement  C720dd10
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 3:10 pm

Don't forget to get a 96-99 rear view mirror. 😀😀

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 6:18 pm

stan wrote:

👀 what does that include? compass? ext temp?
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 8:06 pm

Not sure if it can be hooked on to a 95 but it looks better haha.
Yeah compass and a few more options I think. Never used it (never touched them buttons)

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptyMon Aug 02, 2021 8:55 am

bbyshrk wrote:
stan wrote:

👀 what does that include? compass? ext temp?

Compass and auto-dimming with an output for the auto-dimming driver's outside rear view mirror (which on lots of these cars has long since died and been replaced).

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptyTue Aug 03, 2021 6:02 am

stan wrote:
Not sure if it can be hooked on to a 95 but it looks better haha.
Yeah compass and a few more options I think. Never used it (never touched them buttons)

i got a 96 and my rear view mirror doesn’t include any of that.. could it be ‘97 and up?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptyTue Aug 03, 2021 7:46 am

I was told mine is aftermarket. There wouldn't have been a need for it if the car had come with a compass and temp mirror in 97. My Riv is loaded too, so it would have had a fancy mirror if one was offered.

bbyshrk likes this post

Back to top Go down
bbyshrk
Enthusiast
bbyshrk

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptySat Aug 07, 2021 2:52 pm

Jack the R wrote:
I was told mine is aftermarket.  There wouldn't have been a need for it if the car had come with a compass and temp mirror in 97.  My Riv is loaded too, so it would have had a fancy mirror if one was offered.
i’ll be looking into it for sure. i wish mine came fully loaded 😪 a sunroof would be great
Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

Name : terrance

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 7:12 pm

That looks great! Same interior color. I have a very stable and very maroon replacement column I pulled from a 98-99 riv. Don't know what to do about the damn maroon color though. Either way looks nice!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 7:58 pm

bbyshrk wrote:
Jack the R wrote:
I was told mine is aftermarket.  There wouldn't have been a need for it if the car had come with a compass and temp mirror in 97.  My Riv is loaded too, so it would have had a fancy mirror if one was offered.
i’ll be looking into it for sure. i wish mine came fully loaded 😪 a sunroof would be great

The sunroof cuts down on headroom enough to be a problem for me, but I like having it.

9ty7rivi - Find your car's interior color and paint it. I've got a few posts on here somewhere about my struggle to find my car's interior paint codes - and when I did, it wasn't a perfect match, presumably because the original paint has lightened over time. But I was able to make it work with lots of feathering. If you paint the whole column though, it won't be such a problem.
Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 9:03 am

9ty7rivi - Find your car's interior color and paint it.  I've got a few posts on here somewhere about my struggle to find my car's interior paint codes - and when I did, it wasn't a perfect match, presumably because the original paint has lightened over time.  But I was able to make it work with lots of feathering.  If you paint the whole column though, it won't be such a problem.[/quote]

Hmmm I do have my color code for my car. If you want to know where the codes are for the car it's underneath the spare tire cover fyi!

Are we talking spray can or actually paint? Anything specific that I should look for? Any input is appreciated. That's my last project for interior work..
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 12:58 pm

Here's the main thread you need - link

My contributions begin on pg 3.  There's more to it than the paint codes under the spare tire cover.  If you've got an SEM dealer near you, see if they can scan the color you have and mix a custom paint that will match your color's current state of fade.  Unless you're repainting entire panels and don't have to worry about matching the existing paint.  

This is a spray can job.

The only problem I found is that the paint isn't durable enough.  The seat belts will wear through it on the front seat retainers.  Maybe that part could be baked, although I'd be concerned about melting the plastic.  

You'll probably want to repair plastic cracks once you get into the door panels - Link

Save yourself a bunch of trouble and buy the JounJip plastic welding kit instead of screwing around with soldering irons and zip ties.
Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 1:31 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Here's the main thread you need - link

My contributions begin on pg 3.  There's more to it than the paint codes under the spare tire cover.  If you've got an SEM dealer near you, see if they can scan the color you have and mix a custom paint that will match your color's current state of fade.  Unless you're repainting entire panels and don't have to worry about matching the existing paint.

You'll probably want to repair plastic cracks once you get into the door panels - Link

Save yourself a bunch of trouble and buy the JounJip plastic welding kit instead of screwing around with soldering irons and zip ties.

Crap. Here I go thinking GM solved everything at the convenience of a spare tire parts code chart. What if I were to just swap steering wheels and changed the plastic covers over? Thought was my initial thought when I first pulled it out.

Thanks for the link and information about the door panels. I have been inside and its not scary I can just see plastic cracks and splits at the slightest movement from its final resting place. and I do have zipties and tape on places I should not discuss..haha
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 1:58 pm

9ty7rivi wrote:
9ty7rivi - Find your car's interior color and paint it.  I've got a few posts on here somewhere about my struggle to find my car's interior paint codes - and when I did, it wasn't a perfect match, presumably because the original paint has lightened over time.  But I was able to make it work with lots of feathering.  If you paint the whole column though, it won't be such a problem.

Hmmm I do have my color code for my car. If you want to know where the codes are for the car it's underneath the spare tire cover fyi!

Are we talking spray can or actually paint? Anything specific that I should look for? Any input is appreciated. That's my last project for interior work..

What happened to the original clam shell?  That's the only part of the column that is color coded to the interior.  Did you break it removing it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 2:03 pm

9ty7rivi wrote:
What happened to the original clam shell?  That's the only part of the column that is color coded to the interior.  Did you break it removing it?

No, I have yet to start that project because I'm still thinking of an easier solution. If I can swap steering wheels with now issue and swap over the cover, then I won't be worried about much other than install. I'll use my brain, service manuals, this site for further knowledge that I don't possess once I'm deep into it.[/quote]
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 2:13 pm

I think all the Riviera columns were the same. The clam shell will fit. To get it off, you have to remove the knee bolsters to get to the last set of screws. The dash has to come off for that.

Back to top Go down
9ty7rivi
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 2:21 pm

LARRY70GS wrote:
I think all the Riviera columns were the same.  The clam shell will fit.  To get it off, you have to remove the knee bolsters to get to the last set of screws.  The dash has to come off for that.

I was looking at your pics. I did noticed you removed the entire upper dash. I didn't think it would have to go that far.. Which part of the dash are you referring?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 2:28 pm

9ty7rivi wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:
I think all the Riviera columns were the same.  The clam shell will fit.  To get it off, you have to remove the knee bolsters to get to the last set of screws.  The dash has to come off for that.

I was looking at your pics. I did noticed you removed the entire upper dash. I didn't think it would have to go that far.. Which part of the dash are you referring?

To get to the last set of screws holding the clam shell together, you need to remove the knee bolster portion of the dash board on both sides of the column. To get to the upper attachments for the knee bolster panels, the dash board fascia has to come off. That's the flat panel that surrounds the gauges. It's time consuming, but not hard to do.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: update: column replacement    update: column replacement  Empty

Back to top Go down

update: column replacement
Page 1 of 1