Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement

Go down 
+63
9ty7rivi
EyeDoc1
Yardley
kylan_13
sloppyriv
brutusk1
Z-type
71stagegs
edward harmon
matt270avian
premature jack
jbird
ratnfested
billfrank85
JOE RIV 1
GreenJeanS
stan
laddieboy1
al_roethlisberger
saintsnsinners
2000ws6transam
Spin
Derek
GreenMonster
97SC_CALI_RIV
turtleman
jenkkijussi
moldymac
Mr.Riviera
Abaddon
Eldo
Mikel
ibmoses
robotennis61
Rickw
deekster_caddy
albertj
sburch23
99Rivman
BMD
duster_do_little
SuperRiv07
skuchin
LARRY70GS
Steve98
ewolfe0050
Jack the R
SC95Riv
rivcop
heyzelchi
AA
racinfan
¤DoughBoy¤
SpaceBar
zebster
okiedrifter
96 pearl rivi on 22's
jax95riv
1998 Riv
NO 4 EVR
HirohataMerc
67 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
HirohataMerc
Amateur

Name : Eric
Merit : 1

FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement Empty
PostSubject: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyFri Mar 09, 2007 7:44 pm

Any of you guys have play in your steering wheel?

I just had mine fixed at work (I am a service mgr at a dealer)... It was a pretty big job... Had to replace a bracket and new pressed in pins... Steering column had to be removed and the whole dash face comes off.. Not fun.

But the steering is tight now. Just to let you guys know if it has to be done.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jalopyjournal.com
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

Name : Troy

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyFri Mar 09, 2007 9:36 pm

Yeah, I just noticed some play, but not like my bonnie (more when rotating the wheel a centimeter or less). The riv has play where you adjust it (up and downish) What kind of play did you have and how much $$$ to fix?
Back to top Go down
HirohataMerc
Amateur

Name : Eric

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptySun Mar 11, 2007 6:39 pm

The steering wheel would go diagonal from right up to down left and felt like the tilt was loose. It you brought it to a shop it would be about $275.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jalopyjournal.com
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyMon Mar 12, 2007 4:32 pm

Common problem, mine does the same thing, diagonal wobble, pretty pronounced. Someone here or on regalgs.org has fixed their own in recent months, sounded like kind of a PITA, but not impossible. Didn't mention replacing a bracket though... just the pin.
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

Name : Jack
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyMon Mar 12, 2007 5:35 pm

Yep, mine has some play...from about the one o'clock to the seven o'clock position. I think I may pay someone for that job. That looks like a PITA (I just figured out what PITA meant lol)
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/468780
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyTue Mar 13, 2007 10:44 pm

Lol.

Well it looks like mine is going to stay wobbly.
Back to top Go down
96 pearl rivi on 22's
Special

Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyWed Apr 04, 2007 5:34 pm

i just had to replace my whole steering column do to this problem its either a pin fell out or in my case the aluminum bracket that the pin goes through broke and it was cheaper to get a steering column from the junk yard then to buy the bracket from gm
Back to top Go down
NO 4 EVR
Addict
NO 4 EVR

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyThu Apr 05, 2007 1:24 am

I am starting to notice the play more now and it is bothering me. the play is in the tilt part of the colum.
Back to top Go down
okiedrifter
okiedrifter

Name : Tyler
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyThu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm

you have no idea!! when i got mine, some fatbody must have used the steering wheel to get out because the tilt pivit bracket was totally broke. The only thing holding my coloum together, was the pivit ball/ knuckle joint. well after an $85.00 bracket(at wholesale price), and about 5 hours of kicking, screaming, and throwing things and tearing the coloum out, its fixed. however, i got my knuckle joint together 180 degrees off so now my steering wheel is solid, but upside down!!! and i really don't plan on ripping it apart any time soon. Anyone know of an aftermarket steering wheel hub adapter?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/okie_drifter
zebster
Special

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyMon May 07, 2007 6:01 am

I have a 97 Buick Riviera. It started to get a little play in the steering. I tried reading around on the internet and read something about a pin of some sort may of came out. Well one day i got out of my car and must of pushed to much pressure on it and the steering wheel popped and now it moves up, down, sideways and everyway. I can still drive it but it has to be very dangerous. I am also wondering if the airbag could deploy. I also read that you have to be very careful while working on it, because of the airbag. Is this true? I am a woman and love my Riviera very much, purchased it off of Ebay about 3 or more years ago with 30,000 actual miles, and it has been a great car. But I not sure what is the best way and place to go about getting this fixed, and what exact parts I would need without costing me a bundle. Please be nice, and don't dog me about asking these question, just would like a little input. Thank you
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyMon May 07, 2007 6:31 am

zebster wrote:
I have a 97 Buick Riviera. It started to get a little play in the steering. I tried reading around on the internet and read something about a pin of some sort may of came out. Well one day i got out of my car and must of pushed to much pressure on it and the steering wheel popped and now it moves up, down, sideways and everyway. I can still drive it but it has to be very dangerous. I am also wondering if the airbag could deploy. I also read that you have to be very careful while working on it, because of the airbag. Is this true? I am a woman and love my Riviera very much, purchased it off of Ebay about 3 or more years ago with 30,000 actual miles, and it has been a great car. But I not sure what is the best way and place to go about getting this fixed, and what exact parts I would need without costing me a bundle. Please be nice, and don't dog me about asking these question, just would like a little input. Thank you

No one will dog you about ANY questions you have. Unless your Travis, we pick on him. wink BTW welcome to the forum. It's great to have you here. A lot of people seem to have the SW slop issue. A couple have tackled it. I don't think you are at risk of the airbag deploying unless you're in there working on it and trying to take it apart. There is a way to turn it off when you get ready to work on it. From what I've read from the guys about fixing the column, I'm going to take mine somewhere to have it worked on. It just seems like it's too much of a PITA for me to bother with.
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

Name : Patrick
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyMon May 07, 2007 6:46 pm

zebster wrote:
Please be nice, and don't dog me about asking these question, just would like a little input. Thank you

Nobody will bother you about asking questions. Thats what we are here for. The only person that asks anything dumb is Travis (woops). But usually his mother will help him solve his problems. wink

Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyMon May 07, 2007 10:28 pm

lmfao
Back to top Go down
zebster
Special

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyMon May 07, 2007 10:50 pm

Thank you all. Very nice people here! Poor Travis whoever he is. lol. I have a big feeling this is gonna be a PITA!! (figured out what that meant) So I guess I am gonna have to get someone to fix it. Pronto... Very different and scary driving a car when you can move the steering wheel where ever you want to when you are driving down the interstate. Better get it fixed. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
¤DoughBoy¤
Enthusiast
¤DoughBoy¤

Name : D.J.

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyTue May 08, 2007 12:25 am

NO 4 EVR wrote:
Lol.

Well it looks like mine is going to stay wobbly.

LOL.........WORD......
Back to top Go down
¤DoughBoy¤
Enthusiast
¤DoughBoy¤

Name : D.J.

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyTue May 08, 2007 12:28 am

My Steering Wheel Is A Little Wobbly Also.........But Honestly I Don't Pay Attention To It........As Long As My Steering Wheel Doe'snt End Up Like zebster's I'm Good....
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyTue May 08, 2007 1:58 am

Zebster, hopefully, you have someone you can take it to that won't charge you dealer prices. rolleyes We'd love to see some pics of your ride when you get a chance, and remember to say "hey" in the general welcome so peeps know you're here. smile
Back to top Go down
racinfan
Addict
racinfan

Name : Joe
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyThu May 10, 2007 4:24 pm

I'm starting to get a bit of a knocking sound and feel through my steering wheel over bumps. There is a bit of play in the column in all the wheel tilt angles. Do any of you guys have a knocking sound with your wheels?
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyThu May 10, 2007 5:45 pm

No knocking on mine.
Back to top Go down
racinfan
Addict
racinfan

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyFri May 11, 2007 6:34 pm

Maybe I'll have the pleasure of a massive steering rack failure at 65 mph.
Back to top Go down
jax95riv
Aficionado
jax95riv

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyFri May 11, 2007 6:41 pm

afraid Well that would keep life interesting, wouldn't it! We probably need to quit screwing around and fix this isssue before it turns into a real clusterfk.
Back to top Go down
racinfan
Addict
racinfan

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptyFri May 11, 2007 7:01 pm

I'd imagine it's recallable since it can be a safety issue. Does anyone have access to TSB's?
Back to top Go down
zebster
Special

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptySat May 12, 2007 6:23 pm

Hi again, well my husband took it apart to see what was the problem with the steering wheel and yes there was a pin missing and the housing thing where the pin goes in was broke. From all the reading about this, the best and cheapest way to go was to find a steering column from a salvage yard. Finally found one for $100 + $40 shipping. My car is a 97 and the column I bought was a 95. He got it in and hooked everything up. Everything worked (interior lights, antenna, everything electrical, batttery), but the car would not start. Any info on this?
Back to top Go down
zebster
Special

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptySat May 12, 2007 7:56 pm

Yes since it didn't work he tried mine from the 97. Same thing happening.
Back to top Go down
okiedrifter
okiedrifter

Name : Tyler
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement EmptySun Jun 24, 2007 6:38 pm

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
this is the culprit for the busted columns, this bracket (which allows the wheel to tilt) literally breaks in two, when too much pressure is applied. its quite a job to replace and new the bracket is close to $100. i have had my entire column out twice, so i have had experience with this. not the funnest thing in the world, but not the worst either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/okie_drifter
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement
Page 1 of 13Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next