Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement

Go down 
+63
9ty7rivi
EyeDoc1
Yardley
kylan_13
sloppyriv
brutusk1
Z-type
71stagegs
edward harmon
matt270avian
premature jack
jbird
ratnfested
billfrank85
JOE RIV 1
GreenJeanS
stan
laddieboy1
al_roethlisberger
saintsnsinners
2000ws6transam
Spin
Derek
GreenMonster
97SC_CALI_RIV
turtleman
jenkkijussi
moldymac
Mr.Riviera
Abaddon
Eldo
Mikel
ibmoses
robotennis61
Rickw
deekster_caddy
albertj
sburch23
99Rivman
BMD
duster_do_little
SuperRiv07
skuchin
LARRY70GS
Steve98
ewolfe0050
Jack the R
SC95Riv
rivcop
heyzelchi
AA
racinfan
¤DoughBoy¤
SpaceBar
zebster
okiedrifter
96 pearl rivi on 22's
jax95riv
1998 Riv
NO 4 EVR
HirohataMerc
67 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
AuthorMessage
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement - Page 13 EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 9:01 am

From the same site,

https://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/steering-column-repair-how-to-instructions/gm-buick-cadillac-chevrolet-oldsmobile-pontiac/pivot-pin-removal.pdf

Honestly, I think my solution might be a lot easier. It's a crappy design. I never use the tilt at all. I think it would just wear again even with oversize pins. I'd be afraid of cracking the piece that the pins press into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement - Page 13 EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 9:06 am

Yes, agreed. Depends on what I find when I get into it.
I have the tilt set where I want it and that won't change smile

I see now there is a retracting tool available if I choose to spend the money and replace with new or oversized pins.
Thanks, Larry.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement - Page 13 EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 9:25 am

Yeah, I just pushed my pin back in. I only did the right side as that was the one that had popped out. The other side is covered by the multi function switch. At the time, I just didn't feel like doing the extra work as the column tightened up enough where I never even notice it.

If you just want to push the pin in, that R/S pin is reachable from underneath if you remove that panel underneath, the one that mounts the OBD connection and lamp for the foot well. I was able to wiggle the steering wheel and shove the pin back in. You do have to disassemble everything to use my solution though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

Name : Christen
Merit : 5

PostSubject: How do U take the steering column apart to replace that lower support.   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2021 10:52 pm

My son broke the "Lower Support (#8 on page 2 of this long thread).  The P/N is 26039534.  Supposedly this fits both Rivieria's and Aurora's, 1995-99.  What I don't see is any write up on how to replace this part.  As in, Step 1, disconnect battery, Step 2-9 is removing lower knee bolster and instrument panel trim...that long 6' piece of plastic and then removing 6-7 E-torx screws to get the plastic column housing parts that cover the ignition key lock.  OK...plastic parts removed...what's next.  Silver pot metal lower support (AKA Support Arm Strg Col Jacket) is clearly broken, both pins are popped out...what do I do next???  Pull steering wheel with airbag off? What?  Anyone know a start to finish write up?  Read from pages 1-13 and need a little help.
Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement - Page 13 EmptyThu Jul 29, 2021 8:38 pm

OK...I've successfully replaced the whole steering column under the dash.  A true PITA to be sure but it had to be done since the knucklehead that towed the car to my place decided to try and pivot the wheels WHILE THE CAR WAS ON THE GROUND and wouldn't start.  Broke the housing where the pivot pins sit.  Anyway, it's all back together now but I can't figure out how to tilt the steering wheel DOWN to reinstall the dash trim, and as forums have spoken, you've got to "lower the tilt wheel to the bottom" in order to get the plastic trim pieces to fit.  I can't lower the steering wheel downward, and don't know if this is electrically controlled to disengage a lock.  Since the car won't start, I haven't found a way to lower the steering column manually.  The bracket with the black lever doesn't release any lock that I'm aware of.  Any ideas if this can be done without the car running or something. I did hook up the battery, but nothing engaged or disengaged.  Any ideas?  if someone has a Riv, can you pop on outside, put the key in, NOT START THE CAR and see if you can raise or lower your steering wheel.  That might help.
Back to top Go down
EyeDoc1
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement - Page 13 EmptyThu Jul 29, 2021 9:07 pm

D'oh! Disregard. PULL the tab toward you and the wheel tilts. Got it working!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement   FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Steering Column Slop, Problems & Replacement
Page 13 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13