Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Cold air intake?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
OrangeCat3800
Rookie

Name : Elwood Blues
Merit : 0

Cold air intake? Empty
PostSubject: Cold air intake?   Cold air intake? EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 10:17 pm

I've read the posts about DIY cold air intake for the Rivieras... Those posts were posted in 2008, so I wonder if there's any CAI for 95-99 Rivs from name brands now? I don't wanna buy garden hoses or PVC tubes to make my own CAI...

Is there any ZZP cold air intake that would fit the G Body Riv? CAIs that require minor to moderate modification are acceptable, but no difficult stuff.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Cold air intake? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold air intake?   Cold air intake? EmptyThu Apr 15, 2021 8:23 am

Did you notice where the stock intake pulls air from? Hint: it's "cold air" already, not engine compartment air.
Back to top Go down
intosilence1
Rookie

Name : RivNewEra
Merit : 1

Cold air intake? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold air intake?   Cold air intake? EmptyWed May 26, 2021 12:16 am

I've never found a CAI specifically for the Riv. You have to make it yourself but it's really not difficult. I just bought a piece of 4" ribbed tubing from Intense Racing website. Also buy the adapter that connects the tubing to the throttle body, since it has the hole to connect the Air Temperature Sensor. And finally buy a K&N cone filter. Run the tubing into the hole that's located on the driver side, behind the headlight. The air filter won't fit through that hole, so you'll have to remove part of the wheel well splash shield and install the filter through there. Clamp the filter to the tubing with a worm drive clamp, and connect the air temp sensor. All done.

As an extra step, you can wrap the tubing with some type of heat reflective tape or wrap to keep the air temp inside the tube a little cooler. Cold air intake? 16220011
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

Cold air intake? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold air intake?   Cold air intake? EmptyWed May 26, 2021 3:58 pm

That's where the air intake for the stock airbox already is...

I considered doing this, but first I used "Torque Lite" for my Android phone, and I could see the temp reading from the IAT sensor.  On a stock intake at highway speeds it's not that high, it actually approaches the reading on the dash from the outdoor air temp sensor. It does run up when you're stopped with a warm engine -- but when stopped it does not matter all that much b/c you're not moving.  Get moving for a bit, the IAT reading runs back down toward ambient.  

...seriously, check it out.

...point is, when you are moving and want to make HP, the stock intake acts like a CAI.

I will hand it to you, you did a nice looking job on the CAI you made, though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cold air intake? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold air intake?   Cold air intake? Empty

Back to top Go down

Cold air intake?
Page 1 of 1