Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

High beam shoots to the left - is that normal?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

High beam shoots to the left - is that normal? Empty
PostSubject: High beam shoots to the left - is that normal?   High beam shoots to the left - is that normal? EmptyFri May 07, 2021 3:39 pm

Is that normal? I have my low beam adjusted to my taste and suddenly I noticed, that my highs are beaming waaay to the left. I'm puzzled.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: High beam shoots to the left - is that normal?   High beam shoots to the left - is that normal? EmptyFri May 07, 2021 10:01 pm

check if your high beam bulb is mis-installed
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: High beam shoots to the left - is that normal?   High beam shoots to the left - is that normal? EmptySat May 08, 2021 3:54 am

albertj wrote:
This is kinda insulting, you know )  It is really hard to install incorrectly both bulbs. Four of them, for that matter )
In fact, I removed the headlights completely to make sure all the bulbs installed as they should be. All bulbs are Philips White Visions, not some crooked LED crap from the AliExpress.

Guys, why don't you check your high beams against a wall?

Last edited by DeepFrozen on Sat May 08, 2021 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: High beam shoots to the left - is that normal?   High beam shoots to the left - is that normal? EmptySat May 08, 2021 4:44 pm

Because I rarely drive at night - but one of mine is definitely misadjusted.

Doesn't the Riv have screws for adjusting the alignment of the headlights?
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: High beam shoots to the left - is that normal?   High beam shoots to the left - is that normal? EmptySat May 08, 2021 9:24 pm

Of course it does, like any other car.
But you can't adjust the high and low beam separately. The headlamp assembly is a single unit and the relative position of the low beam and high beam is predetermined and can't be changed..
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: High beam shoots to the left - is that normal?   High beam shoots to the left - is that normal? EmptySun May 09, 2021 11:16 pm

DeepFrozen wrote:
albertj wrote:
This is kinda insulting, you know )  It is really hard to install incorrectly both bulbs. Four of them, for that matter )
In fact, I removed the headlights completely to make sure all the bulbs installed as they should be. All bulbs are Philips White Visions, not some crooked LED crap from the AliExpress.

Guys, why don't you check your high beams against a wall?

No insult was intended. The metal on the socket is kinda sharp. If a bulb base tab gets cut, the bulb can't align correctly in the socket. That's all. Because it's a parabolic reflector and a functional lens, a slight misalignment will change the beam pattern a lot.

There is one other thing - on the old US DOT lenses part of the pattern on the lens was intended to beam light to the sides and up to illuminate reflective road and highway signs.
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: High beam shoots to the left - is that normal?   High beam shoots to the left - is that normal? EmptyMon May 10, 2021 4:44 am

Albert, you don't really think, that both of my high beam bulbs are misaligned, do you? )
I tend to think that my headlights are Ok and they all are like mine, but nobody notices, that high beam shifted to the left (for unclear reasons).
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: High beam shoots to the left - is that normal?   High beam shoots to the left - is that normal? EmptyMon May 10, 2021 10:05 am

DeepFrozen wrote:
Albert, you don't really think, that both of my high beam bulbs are misaligned, do you? )
I tend to think that my headlights are Ok and they all are like mine, but nobody notices, that high beam shifted to the left (for unclear reasons).

I could not answer further without inspecting the headlights myself.  Really, there are two things on the table so to speak.  One is that metal on the socket is kinda sharp. If a bulb base tab gets cut, the bulb can't align correctly in the socket. That's all. Because it's a parabolic reflector and a functional lens, a slight misalignment will change the beam pattern a lot.  The bulb will feel like it's installed OK but it's not, and because of the fluted lensyou can't really easily tell that the bulb is in correctly.  I mean, you can figure it out but you can't just glance at it.

The other thing, again, is that these are old-style US DOT spec lenses on these headlights. On the old US DOT style lenses part of the pattern on the lens was intended to beam light to the sides and up to illuminate reflective road and highway signs.  It is if the lens was made up of dozens of tiny lenses grouped together, each lens beaming part of the available light to a different place.  More insight can be found by reading the documents linked to Daniel Stern's DOT light page, here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/nhtsa/NHTSA.html

All that said, here is what you absolutely can do (and I presume you already did): use these guidelines to aim your US-sec headlights. From the video, things look OK BUT again I am not there to inspect headlights so I don't really know. Here you are: https://haynes.com/en-us/tips-tutorials/how-adjust-your-headlight-aim-emergency, or this: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/car-projects/how-to-aim-and-adjust-headlights - the instructions are essentially the same. You are "aiming" the obvious 'hot spots' (bright, intense areas of light) that the headlights project forward. Again, the old US DOT spec headlight lenses put light all over the place. Part of the Riv's light even seems to cast a low, wide pattern like fog lamps. But the point here is once the bulbs are properly installed and headlights properly aimed then you are done, and the lenses do put lots of light in areas you would not expect if you were used to the pattern thrown by Euro-spec reflectors and lenses.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: High beam shoots to the left - is that normal?   High beam shoots to the left - is that normal? Empty

Back to top Go down

High beam shoots to the left - is that normal?
Page 1 of 1