Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

It's exhaust time

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rp23g7
Rookie

Name : steve brogren
Merit : 0

It's exhaust time Empty
PostSubject: It's exhaust time   It's exhaust time EmptyFri May 21, 2021 1:00 pm

Think I will start on the exhaust on my 96 Riv.  I have read some of the posts, I take it the ZZP right and left manifolds and the down pipe work on the Riviera's.

I was under it and it looks super easy. Probably buy 10 or 12 feet of 2.5 or 3 inch pipe, a Y and two turn downs and a couple of mufflers.

What's everyone's thoughts on Mufflers for a good sound, Magnaflow. Borla, Flowmaster?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
intosilence1
Rookie

Name : RivNewEra
Merit : 1

It's exhaust time Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's exhaust time   It's exhaust time EmptySat May 22, 2021 4:51 am

On my 98, I put in a set of headers that I found on Ebay for about $200 bucks and it comes with clamps to assemble it. However, it ends right before the catalytic converter, and at that junction, I decided to weld it rather than clamp it. One thing I didn't know is that when you install headers on a Riv, your transmission dipstick tube will get in the way. It will sit right against the manifold pipe, and start burning the dipstick. The solution is buying the transmission dipstick tube for a W-body, like the Regal. I found it cheap at IntenseRacing.com
That's also a great place for those with a 3800 car.

For mufflers, I went with a pair of Magnaflows, cause the stock ones are super quiet. But after 4 years with them, I'm actually considering going back to the stock setup, only because of how it looks. The stock setup has a lot more stealth, the aftermarket setup is a lot more noticeable and not in a pretty way, IMO
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

It's exhaust time Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's exhaust time   It's exhaust time EmptyMon May 24, 2021 9:36 am

intosilence1 wrote:
On my 98, I put in a set of headers that I found on Ebay for about $200 bucks and it comes with clamps to assemble it. However, it ends right before the catalytic converter, and at that junction, I decided to weld it rather than clamp it. One thing I didn't know is that when you install headers on a Riv, your transmission dipstick tube will get in the way. It will sit right against the manifold pipe, and start burning the dipstick. The solution is buying the transmission dipstick tube for a W-body, like the Regal. I found it cheap at IntenseRacing.com

For mufflers, I went with a pair of Magnaflows, cause the stock ones are super quiet. But after 4 years with them, I'm actually considering going back to the stock setup, only because of how it looks. The stock setup has a lot more stealth, the aftermarket setup is a lot more noticeable and not in a pretty way, IMO

If you can find one, a way to get a  stealth setup that breathes right for a supercharged Riv is to pull it stock off a Park Avenue Ultra '99 - '05. The P/N is 25749911.  IF you pull it, take the rubber hangers, too. You will need to make up a shield plate to cover the ox sensor wiring. It'll be obvious when you look at it, just make it out of aluminum sheet or coil stock and pop rivet it to the existing shields (the bung will be a few inches different on the PA exhaust that's why). Also, take the rubber hangers. When you hang it on your car, use the best of the hangers you have and the hangers you pulled. If it turns out you need new hangers just get them from your friendly GM parts counter, take one of the old ones over and let them match them up.

If you find one that is sound, then you wire brush it to get any loose rust off it, then sand it fairly smooth (150-200), then paint it with 2 coats of engine paint (Silver? black? whatever...)

I am *so* glad you posted the solution for using available headers (like zzp's) on a Riv, replacing the dip tube is not that big a deal.  Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Spacecowboy067
Enthusiast
Spacecowboy067

Name : Luis
Merit : 4

It's exhaust time Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's exhaust time   It's exhaust time EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 3:57 am

Personally I'm running stock headers with a res delete and magnaflows on the back and I enjoy it. Little loud at low RPMs but I've been a V8 guy until now so I barely notice most of the time. Car sounds good if you drown out the power steering noises lol
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

It's exhaust time Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's exhaust time   It's exhaust time EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 1:43 pm

Not sure power steering noises should be noticeable . . .

widgets likes this post

Back to top Go down
intosilence1
Rookie

Name : RivNewEra
Merit : 1

It's exhaust time Empty
PostSubject: Exhaust from Y pipe to I pipe   It's exhaust time EmptySun Jan 23, 2022 12:19 pm

albertj wrote:
intosilence1 wrote:
I'm going to be replacing the Y pipe (after the resonator) and installing a single exit pipe from the Park Avenue, along with OEM muffler. How much difference do you think it will make as far as sound and restriction? I'm trying to make it quiet, since I'm tired of the loud drone sound I got when I removed the OEM mufflers. I'm just a little worried about how it will affect performance. Here's a pic of the 2 It's exhaust time Screen11
It's exhaust time Screen10pipes.

If you can find one, a way to get a  stealth setup that breathes right for a supercharged Riv is to pull it stock off a Park Avenue Ultra '99 - '05. The P/N is 25749911.  IF you pull it, take the rubber hangers, too.  You will need to make up a shield plate to cover the ox sensor wiring.  It'll be obvious when you look at it, just make it out of aluminum sheet or coil stock and pop rivet it to the existing shields (the bung will be a few inches different on the PA exhaust that's why).  Also, take the rubber hangers.  When you hang it on your car, use the best of the hangers you have and the hangers you pulled.  If it turns out you need new hangers just get them from your friendly GM parts counter, take one of the old ones over and let them match them up.

If you find one that is sound, then you wire brush it to get any loose rust off it, then sand it fairly smooth (150-200), then paint it with 2 coats of engine paint (Silver? black? whatever...)

I am *so* glad you posted the solution for using available headers (like zzp's) on a Riv, replacing the dip tube is not that big a deal.  Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

It's exhaust time Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's exhaust time   It's exhaust time Empty

Back to top Go down

It's exhaust time
Page 1 of 1