Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

LED conversion of interior lights?

Go down 
+5
DeepFrozen
LARRY70GS
albertj
Jack the R
JohnBoanerges
9 posters
AuthorMessage
JohnBoanerges
Rookie

Name : John Redman
Merit : 0

LED conversion of interior lights? Empty
PostSubject: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 8:53 pm

Has anyone done this? The interior lights I have looked at so far are different from any LEDS I have seen on the internet. I converted my '91 Mercedes easily. They are mostly bayonet-based for tail/turn signals. My Riv lights are not. So, anybody taken this on and/or is this the right topic to be asking on?

John Redman
2 '95s and the new one, a '97
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 10:30 pm

Fuggedabuttit - Link

Then again . . .

Turtleman got some to work - Link
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? EmptySat Jun 19, 2021 12:12 am

See and heed the links... Thinking about it, you can do it but you'll have to also install a bunch of Wheatstone bridges and resistors to get them to light when you want and go out when you don't. The trunk light operation, for instance, depends in part on a 'keep alive' bleed through the lamp that is not enough to make the filament glow. When the switch closes, it gets enough current to illuminate the filament. If you simply install an LED, the LED won't actually go out if installed correctly and won't enable the circuit if you install it backwards.

The interior front dome/reading lights won't work with the switches if you install the LEDs one way and won't work with the doors if installed the other way.

Why?

You could say that the Riv has '90s electronics wired into a '50s wiring harness that requires a floating ground.

...meaning that sometimes lamps are switched "off" by raising both terminals to +12V and sometimes switched on by making some terminal that would be grounded, hot.

This is why weird gremlins happen when the battery gets low.

This is why certain basic circuits still function when compromised.

This is also why it is vexing to modify the Riv's electronics -- it's not that hard but you have to figure out the potentials in the circuit at the point you're modifying, not just wire from apparent "hot to ground" at points of convenience. Hobbyist-level experience designing and building circuits will help.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? EmptySat Jun 19, 2021 3:08 am

Crazy stuff. I'm happy with the "old school" ambience.
Back to top Go down
JohnBoanerges
Rookie

Name : John Redman

PostSubject: Re: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? EmptySat Jun 19, 2021 8:14 pm

Well slap me down. Thanks. I was just thinking of reducing drain on battery. But my new shut-off switch stops it all. On the other hand, the LEDS I put in the '91 Mercedes are a whole lot brighter.

dAriel49 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? EmptySat Jun 19, 2021 10:08 pm

The battery drain is a bummer. I've been using a battery tender on mine. It costs more but it keeps the battery "conditioned" (not sure what it's doing, but it spends a lot of time doing it) and the clock stays set.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? EmptySat Jun 19, 2021 10:59 pm

JohnBoanerges wrote:
Well slap me down. Thanks. I was just thinking of reducing drain on battery. But my new shut-off switch stops it all. On the other hand, the LEDS I put in the '91 Mercedes are a whole lot brighter.

No slapdown intended at all, just a little detail so you're aware of why weird stuff happens if you try this along with some insight into how to work around the problems.

AFAIK the LEDs can be installed to illuminate the climate control - they are already used in the control's indicators. To do that requires some disassembly and some soldering. However, the incandescent lights hit the "eye ease green" color of the other dash lights better. There is a write up on this on this site.

https://www.carknowledge.info/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/mercedes-benz-190e-wiring-diagram-instrument-panel-lamps-1-1991.jpg

I looked at a '91 Merc 190E diagram for the instrument lights. On your Mercedes did you use LEDs in the instrument panel as well as the interior cabin, and how did the dimming functions work once the LEDs were installed?

Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 7:39 am

I converted the entire interior of my 1970 GS455 to LED lighting.  The difference was night and day.  The interior lighting really pops now.  It was very easy, plug and play.  The 194 LED bulbs I used were not polarity sensitive.  They would work in the Riv wherever a 194 bulb fits like in the door.  The dash lights in the riv are solder in though.

I have left the exterior of my 70 stock incandescent except for the license plate and trunk lights. If you convert the exterior lights, the LED lights create a problem with the stock flasher units. I could convert the 4 marker lights as they use the 194 bulbs.

One thing to be mindful off is if you are converting a bulb that uses a colored lens, like in the Riv door (red), get a red LED 194. The white ones will actually bleach out the lens as they are so much brighter.

LEDInterior2
LEDInterior7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
DeepFrozen
Fanatic

Name : Dmitry
Merit : 11

PostSubject: Re: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2021 2:30 am

LARRY70GS wrote:

LEDInterior7

Wow.

Did you make those speaker adapters yourself?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2021 7:07 am

DeepFrozen wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:

LEDInterior7

Wow.

No, they are commonly available for all GM A bodies,

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/products/kick-panels-for-1968-72-buick-skylark-with-factory-air-conditioning

https://customautosoundmfg.com/product/custom-fit-speakers/kickpanels?&autoMake=&autoModel=all-buicks&product=kchv-68-2a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

PostSubject: Re: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? EmptyWed Jun 30, 2021 4:52 pm

I've installed LEDs throughout my interior ('98) and exterior, with the exception of headlamps, which are reasonably bright HIDs.
I guess I'll have to investigate if my trunk light stays on, but I love the increased luminance everywhere. I feel a luxury car shouldn't have night light ambience.
Yes, the courtesy lights flicker rather than fade. Not ideal, but the incandescents are too subtle for me. I'll flicker along until someone makes LEDs that are bright and work, or brighter non-LEDs.
Suggestions welcome smile
Back to top Go down
dAriel49
Amateur

Name : Jarred

PostSubject: Re: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? EmptySun Jul 25, 2021 6:14 pm

JohnBoanerges wrote:

We'll be dealing with the battery drain on Riv either after it returns from the installation of the new set of tires from 4Wheelonline. Shut-off switch sounds the best solution.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? EmptyMon Jul 26, 2021 5:53 am

LARRY70GS wrote:
DeepFrozen wrote:
LARRY70GS wrote:

LEDInterior7

Wow.

No, they are commonly available for all GM A bodies,

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/products/kick-panels-for-1968-72-buick-skylark-with-factory-air-conditioning

https://customautosoundmfg.com/product/custom-fit-speakers/kickpanels?&autoMake=&autoModel=all-buicks&product=kchv-68-2a

Nice, I wish those were available for Chrysler b-body. frown
Back to top Go down
mbletion

Name : Robert Cruise

PostSubject: Re: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? EmptyWed Jul 28, 2021 9:15 am

It looks amazing.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? EmptyThu Jul 29, 2021 9:30 pm

I had no idea the electronics are so antiquated on this car. When I had my remote start installed (which works perfectly) I wanted to add the heated seat and power to the windows to be able to roll them down removing the heat from the car before I enter. My 12v guy told me the car did not have any more available inputs or outputs.

I did put led lighting in my 99 trans am which made a nice difference.
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

PostSubject: Re: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? EmptyFri Jul 30, 2021 6:30 am

Can you share the brand and model of remote starter you installed?
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 10:25 am

https://www.dronemobile.com/
Compustar remote start with a two way remote and drone mobile. The key is all in the quality of the install
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

PostSubject: Re: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 1:38 pm

Thanks.
I have a Compustar 2 way on my SUV. Works very good except I seem to trip it into valet mode once in a while. Not really sure why, but it's easily righted. I like the 3000 ft range.

So, the Drone thing... is that software or is hardware also required?

Also, what systems can you control, if any on a 1998 OBDII car? I imagine you have to have the heat on when you shut down the car for it to be on when it starts remotely? Or does Drone add features.

Wondering what it cost, ball park?

I have a Tint World franchise close to me. They can handle install.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 2:37 pm

The drone is a module that can be added to your existing setup and it is also a yearly subscription service of about 60 bucks for cell phone access. I needed to start my car at work since it's further than 3,000 ft and there's lots of buildings.
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

PostSubject: Re: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 3:26 pm

It's about 200 bucks plus 60 a year and of course it will start the car and if your climate control is on it will operate it. The unit plugs into the brain of the remote start. You will get a one month free trial once it's installed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LED conversion of interior lights?   LED conversion of interior lights? Empty

Back to top Go down

LED conversion of interior lights?
Page 1 of 1