Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

New from the Cereal City

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Skaterplus3
Special

Name : Ken Tomalka
Merit : 0

New from the Cereal City Empty
PostSubject: New from the Cereal City   New from the Cereal City EmptyTue Aug 24, 2021 6:56 pm

Hi Riviera Lovers,

Thanks for allowing me onto your site.
Have always loved these Riv’s and took the opportunity to purchase one. Just purchased a 1995 with 100k miles. Overall in good shape. The more I dig into the car, I am finding more issues, but not uncommon for a 26 year old vehicle.
First note, I am getting the bearing hum from the supercharger. Anyone have a favorite “rebuilder”?

Ken in Battle Creek MI
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: New from the Cereal City   New from the Cereal City EmptyTue Aug 24, 2021 9:09 pm

The supercharger coupler makes a "marbles in a can" sound. If you are hearing a hum, it may be one of the hub bearings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU

Skaterplus3 likes this post

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: New from the Cereal City   New from the Cereal City EmptyTue Aug 24, 2021 10:39 pm

Skaterplus3 wrote:
Hi Riviera Lovers,

Thanks for allowing me onto your site.
Have always loved these Riv’s and took the opportunity to purchase one.  Just purchased a 1995 with 100k miles. Overall in good shape. The more I dig into the car, I am finding more issues, but not uncommon for a 26 year old vehicle.  
First note, I am getting the bearing hum from the supercharger. Anyone have a favorite “rebuilder”?

Ken in Battle Creek MI

You might want to look at what ZZPerformance has for super chargers. There is a vendor on eBay for bearing kits and couplers, ‘darossillc’ I think. I bought my bearing kit and replacement coupler from him and installed them at 160 or 170 thousand miles, I kinda forget, but the quality was tops and I’ve no issues with the blower now, at 400 thou miles.

If you are staring at your car one day, with nothing else you prefer to do, consider getting some emery cloth or a small wire brush and disconnect and clean all the grounds you can find in the engine and passenger compartments. In general they are on the passenger side frame rail, the firewall, the driver and passenger side kick panels, and under the rear seat.

Welcome aboard!

Albertj

Back to top Go down
Skaterplus3
Special

Name : Ken Tomalka

PostSubject: Re: New from the Cereal City   New from the Cereal City EmptyWed Aug 25, 2021 7:09 am

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Much appreciated!
Ken
Back to top Go down
dAriel49
Amateur

Name : Jarred

PostSubject: Re: New from the Cereal City   New from the Cereal City EmptyWed Nov 03, 2021 1:47 am

Welcome! How's your project so far?

Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: New from the Cereal City   New from the Cereal City EmptyWed Nov 03, 2021 10:08 pm

Make sure you don't tell the SC snout rebuilder to reuse the old SC pulley. The old pulley will get damaged when pulled, even if it doesn't look like it (happened to me). Might as well upgrade to the modular system unless you know you'll never want to mod the engine.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: New from the Cereal City   New from the Cereal City EmptyThu Nov 04, 2021 9:18 am

Jack the R wrote:
Make sure you don't tell the SC snout rebuilder to reuse the old SC pulley.  The old pulley will get damaged when pulled, even if it doesn't look like it (happened to me).  Might as well upgrade to the modular system unless you know you'll never want to mod the engine.

Personal experience - the ZZP puller (a seemingly overengineered contraption unless you actually have used it) will pull the pulley without damage if you scrupulously follow the instructions. Put moly grease on the screw.

Any general purpose puller will very likely mess up the pulley, if it even removes it, no matter what you do.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New from the Cereal City   New from the Cereal City Empty

Back to top Go down

New from the Cereal City
Page 1 of 1