Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!) Empty
PostSubject: Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!)   Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!) EmptySat Sep 18, 2021 4:32 pm

Forget this. Moog was wrong, the Electra bushings do not fit the Riviera's sway bar brackets. Not even close!

original post-
==========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

Not available on Rock Auto (for 8th gen Riv), and GM Parts Direct shows it as "discontinued."  Moog's site says they have them, so I click on the link, and it comes up as "moog-k200042 | Rear Sway Bar Bushing - 15-16mm | Buick Electra 85-90 - $12.45."  Hmm, Buick Electra, you say?  Back to Rock Auto, under 1990 Buick Electra - Moog Ultra Power k200042 - $1.56 and Moog (premium) k200042 - $8.63

Last edited by Jack the R on Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!)   Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!) EmptySat Sep 18, 2021 9:15 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Not available on Rock Auto (for 8th gen Riv), and GM Parts Direct shows it as "discontinued."  Moog's site says they have them, so I click on the link, and it comes up as "moog-k200042 | Rear Sway Bar Bushing - 15-16mm | Buick Electra 85-90 - $12.45."  Hmm, Buick Electra, you say?  Back to Rock Auto, under 1990 Buick Electra - Moog Ultra Power k200042 - $1.56 and Moog (premium) k200042 - $8.63

...not a huge surprise, GM re-applies a lot of hard (chassis) parts. Why not ask a friendly GM parts counter person?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!)   Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!) EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 1:10 am

I'm not surprised either. I can't imagine why you would need to reinvent the sway bar bushing.

Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!)   Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!) EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 2:02 pm

Jack the R wrote:
I'm not surprised either.  I can't imagine why you would need to reinvent the sway bar bushing.  

What I found (via a GM parts counter person who shall remain nameless) is GM, for commercial reasons, will quit cross-referencing parts for certain models after the statutory requirement to carry spares for those certain models lapses. For some platforms/models (camaro-firebird) they will continue carrying and crossing selectively, but the Riv is **not** one of those models.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!)   Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!) EmptyThu Sep 23, 2021 4:07 pm

Turn's out Moog's site was wrong, the Electra bushings are too small for the Riv's bracket. WAY too small! We have twice the rubber the Electra got.
Back to top Go down
Spacecowboy067
Enthusiast
Spacecowboy067

Name : Luis
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!)   Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!) EmptyMon Sep 27, 2021 3:18 am

Welp, any idea what DOES fit our bushing?
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!)   Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!) EmptyMon Sep 27, 2021 11:26 am

Spacecowboy067 wrote:
Welp, any idea what DOES fit our bushing?

Multiple options:

1) take one out and match it up at a full-line parts store like a NAPA or Auto Value.

2) get an aftermarket set of brackets with bushings that fit your bar, install those instead. Or just aftermarket bushings. https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/universal-sway-bar-bushings.asp

Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!)   Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!) EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 9:12 pm

Not the cheapest option but you could buy an Addco sway bar that will come with bushings. They're on my list and are going to happen soon.

albertj likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!)   Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!) Empty

Back to top Go down

Rear Sway Bar Bushing Source (NOT!)
Page 1 of 1