Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

New thread old member - Greetings!!

Go down 
+5
carguy8888
jbird
albertj
Jack the R
VaRiviera
9 posters
AuthorMessage
VaRiviera
Special
VaRiviera

Name : Nick
Merit : 0

New thread old member - Greetings!! Empty
PostSubject: New thread old member - Greetings!!   New thread old member - Greetings!! EmptyThu Mar 10, 2022 3:25 pm

Hello finally to all Riviera forum members - some of you and me too lurked in the shadows here until one day we join in, officially - and I wonder why taken so long. I joined as a member here soon after buying my 1996 Riviera SC - teal green, in Nov 2018.
Over 10 years ago at the McDonalds drive through - got behind a light purple car - sooo many curves - not a straight line stuck out. What is it - it just has an R and supercharged whatever it is. As it pulled up and turned left could see Riviera badge at the lower quarter. Cool! An American car with European designing I thought. Then my cousins neighbor got a white Riviera. Cool cars. One night in 2018 remembered that purple Riviera and what if. There were purple Rivieras for sale just none close - but this low mileage teal Riviera was local and for sale.
In 1996 the original owner (in his 70's) bought this new - then passed away later in 1996. His wife was in her 80's - and their next door neighbor - a pastor - would drive her to church on Sundays in it. The car fax shows only 3,000 miles in 2003. When the wife passed in 2012 - the pastor inherited it - drove 18,000 miles until he and his wife could no longer get in it comfortably - so they drove high up SUV's. The low mileage - 21,871 -was intriguing - and its a rare sight to see as well.

After a few weeks - the engine was hard to start when hot - then weeks later it would cut out while driving - and hard to start again. Turned out to be the cam sensor. So installed new cam sensor, new belts - rad hoses - changed supercharger oil all at same time. Later that day - after fixing cam sensor trouble code the crank sensor went bad / generated a new trouble code - and both bad sensors shared identical symptoms - cutting out while driving and cranks but won't start. Changed original coils and ignition module with new AC Delco parts and a j-yard PCM - my baby was driving great again. All thanks to some of you who are my heroes Riv owners here in the forum!

Has ran like new for a year until I pulled out last week and noticed the speedometer quit and trans would not shift out of 1st gear. A new AC Delco trans speed sensor didn't fix/solve it - so I reinstalled the original PCM - and have taken out on one trip for 40 minutes and today for 20 minutes - speedometer works and shifts great again, all is well, so far, so good, so what.
Yes been lurking for years here and also been lurking on the Olds Aurora forum, today is a good day to share - my Riv now has 23,876 miles today and tons of respect to all who contribute - my Riviera would'nt be running like a new car today without all the help I got here reading the awesome threads/info/stories.

I didn't know anything about these Rivs and felt like I had little to contribute and little time to dedicate maybe is all. Sending the good vibes from here in sunny Virginia, wishing everyone the best...bye for now!!
New thread old member - Greetings!! 96riv010
New thread old member - Greetings!! 96riv012
New thread old member - Greetings!! 96riv011
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: New thread old member - Greetings!!   New thread old member - Greetings!! EmptyThu Mar 10, 2022 8:53 pm

Welcome back! That is an incredibly low mileage, and in a unique 90's color! It's not quite a teal Beretta with a pink graphic on the side, but it represents the period well!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: New thread old member - Greetings!!   New thread old member - Greetings!! EmptyFri Mar 11, 2022 10:43 am

Thanks for chiming in.  Your Riv looks very nice, and I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Last edited by albertj on Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix typos)
Back to top Go down
jbird
Fanatic
jbird

Name : Jeff
Merit : 7

PostSubject: Re: New thread old member - Greetings!!   New thread old member - Greetings!! EmptyFri Mar 11, 2022 2:15 pm

Welcome back, very nice Riv!

Jbird
Back to top Go down
carguy8888
Junkie
carguy8888

Name : Brian Cohen
Merit : 8

PostSubject: Re: New thread old member - Greetings!!   New thread old member - Greetings!! EmptyFri Mar 11, 2022 4:14 pm

Great story and you have a beautiful car.
Back to top Go down
stan
Expert

Merit : 12

PostSubject: Re: New thread old member - Greetings!!   New thread old member - Greetings!! EmptyFri Mar 11, 2022 10:44 pm

Hello Nick, welcome back
Back to top Go down
Rivieraz
Enthusiast
Rivieraz

Name : tommy z
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: New thread old member - Greetings!!   New thread old member - Greetings!! EmptyFri Mar 11, 2022 11:24 pm

New thread old member - Greetings!! 1f44d  New thread old member - Greetings!! 1f60e  New thread old member - Greetings!! 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Ship
Fanatic
Ship

Name : Dave
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: New thread old member - Greetings!!   New thread old member - Greetings!! EmptyMon Mar 14, 2022 10:43 am

Great looking Riv, great color. I had a '96 with the exact same colors back in the day...
Back to top Go down
VinnyD
Special

Name : Vince Dugan
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: New thread old member - Greetings!!   New thread old member - Greetings!! EmptyMon Mar 14, 2022 7:27 pm

Looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing your story and pics!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New thread old member - Greetings!!   New thread old member - Greetings!! Empty

Back to top Go down

New thread old member - Greetings!!
Page 1 of 1