Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Alarm doesn't recognize either of my key sets, and neither remote works!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

Alarm doesn't recognize either of my key sets, and neither remote works! Empty
PostSubject: Alarm doesn't recognize either of my key sets, and neither remote works!   Alarm doesn't recognize either of my key sets, and neither remote works! EmptyTue May 17, 2022 2:26 pm

All of a sudden, both key sets touch off the alarm (car still starts) and the remotes do not lock/unlock doors, nor open the trunk.
WTF?
Batteries are fine.
I have instructions to re-program the remotes, but will that fix the alarm issue?
What ties these two seemingly unconnected symptoms together?
Appreciate any insight.

BTW, the help section has a script error and is not working. Can anyone remind me how to edit the addendum to my profile that appears under my posts (the description of my vehicles)?
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

PostSubject: Re: Alarm doesn't recognize either of my key sets, and neither remote works!   Alarm doesn't recognize either of my key sets, and neither remote works! EmptyWed May 18, 2022 10:27 am

Okay, I am assuming that I armed the security system when I last locked the doors (while the remotes where working).
Since the remotes were not working, I opened the door with the key. So, I am again guessing that the alarm went off because it was not disarmed?
Anyone have any ideas?

I plan on reprogramming the remotes, but don't know if the alarm will remain a problem.
Back to top Go down
th3fr4nchi5e
Addict
th3fr4nchi5e

Name : Dave
Merit : 28

PostSubject: Re: Alarm doesn't recognize either of my key sets, and neither remote works!   Alarm doesn't recognize either of my key sets, and neither remote works! EmptyThu May 19, 2022 11:02 pm

There is a receiver in the trunk for the remote keyless entry. I believe mine failed on my 95 and it was plug and play from a junkyard 95 riv. And yes, if you lock the car with the key fob, and unlock it with the manual key, it will set off the alarm. Not sure if there is a workaround for that part.
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

PostSubject: Re: Alarm doesn't recognize either of my key sets, and neither remote works!   Alarm doesn't recognize either of my key sets, and neither remote works! EmptyFri May 20, 2022 9:05 am

Thanks, Dave, for your input.
I went to my shop manual to check out the module and came across instructions (page 8-680) to synchronize the transmitters. Apparently they can go belly up for a couple of reasons, one being repeatedly pressing buttons while out of range.
Anyway, all I had to do with each transmitter is press and hold lock and unlock buttons while in range for 8 seconds. Horn beeps and everything goes back to normal!
That's a relief. Thanks again.
Sean
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alarm doesn't recognize either of my key sets, and neither remote works!   Alarm doesn't recognize either of my key sets, and neither remote works! Empty

Back to top Go down

Alarm doesn't recognize either of my key sets, and neither remote works!
Page 1 of 1