Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types

Go down 
+36
Ironclad-454
Ship
BKRIV
Eldo
Chicken
Jack the R
manofmany
Rickw
maggot
albertj
deekster_caddy
ibmoses
98RIV7777
98riv
Buapo
T Riley
steve1173
robotennis61
97Ultra
xxsupergman25xx
BillBoost37
TType_Riviera
palermocorey90
turtleman
rivieraman
Jason
97rivman
1998 Riv
arttu80
NO 4 EVR
racinfan
Brad95Riv
96riv
AA
Mr.Riviera
¤DoughBoy¤
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptySat May 31, 2008 10:19 pm

im sorry to tell you he is full of SHIT, tell him to drain it and put what came in it. if the green stuff is that much better it would have came from factory.

im sorry but it pisses me off when this asshole mechanic's try to feed people a line of shit
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptySat May 31, 2008 10:53 pm

palermocorey90 wrote:
im sorry to tell you he is full of SHIT, tell him to drain it and put what came in it. if the green stuff is that much better it would have came from factory.

im sorry but it pisses me off when this asshole mechanic's try to feed people a line of shit

i've read that green is where its at for cooling! if you have Aluminum LIM gaskets of course cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptySat May 31, 2008 11:53 pm

there is also available now some that are compatible with both colors. i wonder if he used that one?
Back to top Go down
Buapo
Addict
Buapo

Name : Ben
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 3:32 am

Either way, you should be using the Dexron-approved stuff. Dexcool, or something.
Back to top Go down
98riv

Merit : 30

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 5:04 pm

You could also use that Prestone mix with anything coolant if you are worried about dexcool.

Fanatic
TType_Riviera

Name : Rob
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 10:14 pm

98riv wrote:
You could also use that Prestone mix with anything coolant if you are worried about dexcool.

read

otherwise dexcool...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2131502/1
98RIV7777
Fanatic
98RIV7777

Name : Anthony
Merit : 1

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 12:26 am

Stick with Dex Cool, there is a reason why GM recommends it and for once its not because its a dealer only item and because they license it. Its because they realized their mistakes with regular anti-freeze and put additives in it so your radiator doesnt rust from the inside out. Just make sure you mix it with distilled water and not tap water, or you maybe defeating the whole purpose of using dex-cool wink
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Does Dexcool meet GM Specification 1825M?   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 7:02 pm

My 95 PA with the NA SeriesII engine has a split upper hose so I am planning on replacing the upper/lower hoses and thermostat and flush/fill.

It has the red looking antifreeze in it now. I assume it is Dexcool but there are no decals under the hood like most vehicles that came with Dexcool.

In the owners manual it says: Use a coolant that meets GM Spec. 1825M.
It also says that with a complete flush and refill. Use GM Engine Coolant Supplement(sealer).

Thanks for any info.

I googled this topic several times but could not nail down an answer.

Bert tavis
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 8:28 pm

I don't know but my '94 Regal had DexCool in it if that's any help.

I've run DexCool in all my cars since 10 years ago. No problems with it, ever.
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 9:24 pm

get some universal from napa or someplace
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 12:19 am

Bert: Yeah, it's Dexcool.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
maggot

Name : Chris

PostSubject: Radiator flush. green to orange coolant   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 6:42 pm

Today my radiator plastic reservoirs on each side of the core cracked and started leaking. i flushed my system a couple times and then took out the radiator. im waiting on a new one to come in at oreillys. my question is i want to change from the green coolant to the orange extended life coolant. Anybody done this. i know you can not mix the green and orange and i wonder if i should flush the system again with water when i put the new radiator on. i still had a light green color come out of the block when i took the hoses off and removed the old radiator.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 7:08 pm

Just put the green back in. I would not change over if your system has always had green, save yourself the aggravation and keep using green, it's less expensive and there is a lot of controversy about the orange stuff causing premature intake gasket leaks on the 3800 engine.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 9:19 pm

I've ran Dexcool in all my Cadillacs with no issues and I think its a great coolant. As Rick said, there is TONS of controversy and even court hearings related to Dexcool. Stick with the green.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 9:25 pm

My vote is that both coolants do a fine job, but no matter which coolant you run drain your radiator once a year and refill, and you'll never have a coolant related problem. No need for a flush either.
Back to top Go down
maggot

Name : Chris

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 10:25 pm

ok all is well. i stuck with green and installed the new radiator. all is running fine. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Another strike against DexCool   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 8:24 pm

The saga of my van:
'96 Chevy G30 van, 350 V8. I was recently having trouble with the van almost stalling when I left a stop. It would stumble, then if it didn't stall it would recover and then drive fine until the next stop. It only has a few sensors, TPS, MAP... that's it! So I figured it was the TPS. Put in a new one, no different. Played around with it for a while and realized that if I can get it past the stumble/stalling point and keep it running, a big cloud of black comes out the tailpipe. I watched the fuel injectors and throttle body and realized it was pouring fuel in when I moved the gas. MAP seemed unlikely, and after some fiddling with vacuum lines I decided to leave that one alone... So I decided to go after the temp sender - WOW. What a difference. It cured my 'rich', almost stalling condition, plus it lowered the idle and returned shift points to normal, something which had been bothering me for years, but I had never figured out. I just figured the idle was set too high, ever since I got the van - nope! It has needed a TCS since before I have been driving it. I can't wait to see how my gas milage has to improve! It's been a consistent 11 for two years now, whether towing or not...

I noticed that the old sensor is coated in red. Another loss for DexCool. frown
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 12:14 pm

I wonder if the problem is the mineral content of some tap water.

When I buy DexCool to top o\ff or change coolant I use either distilled water (buy it a gallon at a time from WalMart or local grocery) or condensate from a dehumidifier for the mix. I go ahead and pour 1/2 of DexCool into an empty bottle then top both bottles off with 1/2 gal each of condensate water. So I just don't have deposit problems.

Maybe the consistent problem with DexCool is not the coolant but the variability in mineral content of tap water?!? Only way to really find out would be to take that temp sender and scrape the red off and use a mass spectrometer to figure out what it (the red stuff) is.

I bet it's mineral deposits.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 1:13 pm

albertj wrote:
I wonder if the problem is the mineral content of some tap water.

When I buy DexCool to top o\ff or change coolant I use either distilled water (buy it a gallon at a time from WalMart or local grocery) or condensate from a dehumidifier for the mix. I go ahead and pour 1/2 of DexCool into an empty bottle then top both bottles off with 1/2 gal each of condensate water. So I just don't have deposit problems.

Maybe the consistent problem with DexCool is not the coolant but the variability in mineral content of tap water?!? Only way to really find out would be to take that temp sender and scrape the red off and use a mass spectrometer to figure out what it (the red stuff) is.

I bet it's mineral deposits.

Albertj

I'm pretty sure what was in my van may never have been changed, which certainly could have been part of the problem. I always use distilled water with my coolant now. Years ago I didn't, but I have become wiser as I got older lol
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 2:05 pm

Where do you get distilled water at?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 2:10 pm

any drugstore carries it, CVS, walgreens, brooks, etc. near the bottled water. It's usually on the bottom shelf and dusty... but cheap too.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 4:41 pm

I get it by the gallon at the grocery store or Wal-Mart.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 8:22 pm

What do you guys do with your old fluid?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 8:25 pm

I do the politically incorrect thing to do. I live in a heavily wooded area and have my own little spot for coolant.
Hell, It wasn't THAT long ago that is was considered OK to let it go down the drain in the street.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 8:27 pm

I think Autozone reclaims both coolant and oil, but not mixed together.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types   FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Dexcool / Coolant / Antifreeze Types
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next