Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Eric's calling you out alex...heheh

Go down 
+43
matt270avian
ghpcnm
Sir Psycho Sexy
LARRY70GS
denim
albertj
charlieRobinson
flyineagle96
IBx1
L8-2BNGO
nothincame2mind
oldsman105
Snowdog
curious riv
ericde
MintRiv98
Rickw
deekster_caddy
96RivSCMI
SuperRiv07
Blower Riv
1wickedninja
ibmoses
ewolfe0050
Supercharged
Chicken
dreww
98RIV7777
TonySmooth89
turtleman
urbsnspices
whippled98riv
GothicVash
Ridin-Rivi
palermocorey90
T Riley
AA
97Riv-Jon
97rivman
SpaceBar
Turbocharged400sbc
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 11:58 pm

the 4t80e is built much more heavily than the 4t665-hd from the factory. It is a much stronger transmission than our stock one.
Back to top Go down
Turbocharged400sbc
Fanatic

Name : James
Merit : 2

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 4:12 am

4T80E > 4T65E HD
the 80e is way stronger since the reduction is all in the differential instead of the much weaker chain in the 65e
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 MVC-859S

here's the output shafts....hrm which is which? lol
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 MVC-854S

the stock 80e chain is over an inch wide
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 4t80echainwidth

80e turbine shaft and the much larger sproket and support bearing
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 4t80einputshaft-gear-chain

its just a tiny bit stronger
Back to top Go down
http://www.sinisterdragdesign.com
Supercharged
Addict
Supercharged

Name : Blake
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 4:10 pm

so were comparing the non supercharged tranny to the HD supercharged tranny right?
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 4:56 pm

Supercharged wrote:
so were comparing the non supercharged tranny to the HD supercharged tranny right?

NO NO, the 'non supercharged' pre-'97 tranny is a 4T60E. The 'Supercharged' HD tranny ('97-up) is a 4T65E. They've got a totally different animal, the 4T80E.
Back to top Go down
Turbocharged400sbc
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 5:56 pm

that is a 4t80e dif and the 65e

97 and older got the 60e and some later cars (bonnies and the riv's, ultra's) had the 60ehd
98+ got the 4t65e and the sc cars got the 4t65eHD
the 4t80e was used behind the 4.5 and 4.9l v8's in the older caddy's and behind the aurora and N* V8's in the later cars.

a 99 gp towing capacity is 1000lbs
a 99 caddy.... 3000lbs

guess which car is also heavier and has more power in OEM trim

the 80e is the fwd equivalent of the 4l80e 1 ton rwd trans
its heaps stronger in stock trim...probably stronger than a 4000$ built 65ehd
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 12:22 am

Perhaps i missed it , but what kind of modification did you have to do to get the 80e in there? Seems like if i ever wanna upgrade the 4t60 the 80e is the way to go.

And now that i think about it , i hear about more Cadillacs needing engines than transmissions.
Back to top Go down
Turbocharged400sbc
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 2:47 am

bingo

there's a bit on it earlier in the thread

basics
electrical

solid state NO relay for shift sol B reversal

97-99 80e trans (proper manifold pressure switch assmbly)

plumb in a press switch in the TCC relief passage or completly disable tcc in pcm file (as we have done-the junk trans will help me determine the tcc pressure switch workaround as the 80e doesnt have it and the 65e pcm is looking for it)

switch two terminals in the 65e pcm harness plug, also tap 80e second poer wire into the 65e connectors single 12v supply, leave tcc switch wire cut and left ungrounded.

now plug your oe 65e connector directly into the 80e connector (yes they are the same lol)

highly modify the 65e range switch for a pigtail and mating connectors to the oe harness. looks funky but works great

access to the gear ratio tables and other trans tables

mechanical

for riv's- two aurora axles (or just the inner tulips and shafts) bonnies and ultra's (G H C bodies) should be the same (dbl check)

for riv's the mount brackets that bolted to the 65ehd bolt right up to the 80e points (makes ya wonder whether gm loved the cost effectiveness of reusing the same part numbers as often as possible lol)

you can keep the shitty oe front motor mount but we chose to use neon rubber mounts and make new motor mounts down low and thereby giving full access to the belts al la w bodies

flexplate drilled to 80e 4 bolt pattern, purchace 4 special arp metric converter bolts twelve point ONLY! 6 pt wont let a socket clear the flexplate weight. (see pics)

drill the missing belhousing bolt hole in the middle front bellhousing boss of the 80e (right above the 3800 block starter boss)

small piece of angle iron drilled with 3 holes as the new engine to trans brace

two places on the trans case require it be ground for clearance as so far only PS headers have worked with the 80e and cleared the range selector shaft.

3800 modifications

the lower outter portion of the "bitch bolt" boss has to be cut off (you can still boltup to the 65e trans, but you can leave the bitch bolt in a few turns and remove/install the engine, kinda nice lol)

the 80e "bitch bolt" goes in from the drivers side towards the passenger side, and requires drilling and tapping for a grade 8 3/8thd bolt in the 3800 block at the centerline of the 80e bolt location (measurements are included in one of my pics)

the rear water jacket must be plugged with a 1/4npt plug and the kr sensor relocated to the upper block bolt hole of the oe 65e engine to diff brace (this hole is drilled and tapped to 1/4 npt and kr sensor threaded in
Back to top Go down
Supercharged
Addict
Supercharged

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 1:37 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Supercharged wrote:

NO NO, the 'non supercharged' pre-'97 tranny is a 4T60E. The 'Supercharged' HD tranny ('97-up) is a 4T65E. They've got a totally different animal, the 4T80E.

okay i understand now, thats awesome...we can swap a better tranny in
Back to top Go down
Turbocharged400sbc
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 4:16 pm

the now even more modified PS headers and the new location of the now cable operated DMH cutout
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 WhippledrivPSheaderdownpipecutout

and yes he drives it
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 ProoftheWhippledRivgetsdriven
Back to top Go down
Turbocharged400sbc
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 3:15 pm

some new pics!
picked up a brand new delphi radiator for 190$ (the dexsludge and 11years old are why the old one is nolonger with us lol)
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 DELPHIradiatorfortheRiv
here's the downpipe cutout ready to weld, to do this required moving the curved section of the original PS headers to the Y piece for enough room for a nicer angle. the flanges are welded on now with the two holes up near the body and the single bolt (of the 3 bolt header flanges) is at the bottom.
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 DPcutoutradeyforwelding
here it is fully welded, with the cutout bolted on there's only 1/4" that hangs below the lowest portion of the subframe...all in all we gained clearance... once its all back in i can finish the rest of the 3" exhaust (we had to order two more 3" 180* bends though...up to just under 300$ in the exhaust mods this time lol.
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 DPwelded
Back to top Go down
Supercharged
Addict
Supercharged

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 3:49 pm

cant wait to hear it, is this just you or do you have the luxury of having buddies that are more than happy to help you out....im lucky to have those friends that want to help with awesome projects like who wouldnt want to be apart of a whippled l67 RIV
Back to top Go down
Turbocharged400sbc
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 10:16 pm

its me and eric, sometimes Al if it werent for me it probably wouldnt have gotten so far out of hand!

wait till ya see what we did to the old front motor mount area wink
Back to top Go down
Turbocharged400sbc
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 3:33 am

this is the new front motor mount...i finally finsihed weldoing it to the subframe
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 Newfrontmotormountears
oooops lol
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 RemovedGbodymotormount1
much more room! youll note the relocated fuse box now that the ac is completly gone...
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 RemovedGbodymotormount2
Back to top Go down
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 11:07 am

That lower front engine mount is AWESOME
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 1:58 pm

HMMM what about grinding off all that slag
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
Turbocharged400sbc
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 4:10 pm

palermocorey90 wrote:
HMMM what about grinding off all that slag

lol some spots look bad but i didnt use stick, just my mig...its a bitch welding to spotwelded metal with that particular primer under/inbetween the sheets i was welding to, the lower mount is dbl and tripple pass in the top and bottom stress points, i just clean the surface of the welds i'm lazy like that lol (its not my car its only eric's hahah!

motor goes in (again) for the final time today!
Back to top Go down
Turbocharged400sbc
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 1:21 am

motors in for the final time (again lol) the DP cutout is perfect much like i expected...i got some more pics of the front mount fer ya
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 NewGbodyfrontmount1
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 NewGbodyfrontmount2
see its in!
plenty left to do!
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 Lasttimethemotorgoesinfornow
Back to top Go down
Turbocharged400sbc
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 3:27 am

enjoy the new pics
how the 80e pan looks next to the motor and G body subframe, also the DP cutout can be seen, the lowest part of the cutout is ~3/8ths of an inch below the subframe, the same height as the button head bolts going upward through the subframe for the rear mount/rack mount, this bugger cant get hit by a speed bump if he tried! this things a 4x4 lol the crappy 3 bolt flange was twisted for easier upper bolt install/tightening...i'm gonna do this to all of em now lol
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 DPcutoutandhowthe80efitstheRiv
3" mandrel bent all the way around the underseat battery tray and through the rear trailing arm suspension tunnel
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 3inmandrelclearingtheunderseatbatte
a view inside the high flow Y (i dun didit good ) that will bump into two 3" flowmaster deltaflows and out the back with some stealth tucked in 3" turndowns
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 InsidetheY
the carpeting was reinstalled and trimmed, not too shabby
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 Finaltrimwork
Got filter? here's the plenum getting ready to be reworked for some toys (shhhhhh!), the 90mm TB, 104mm 99+MAF housing, and a small K&N
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 90mmFASTTBandplenum-104mmmaf-smallK
WTF???!
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 Gigglegas1
What do we have HERE?!?
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 Gettingclosertostartup
twisted twisted twisted twisted twisted twisted yes two stages
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 Twostagesfernow
Back to top Go down
Turbocharged400sbc
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 3:34 am

BTW where the hell is alex? hey bud ya getting ready fer spring right? 3gears
Back to top Go down
Turbocharged400sbc
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 6:47 am

high flow Y
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 HighflowY
Flowmaster and Y
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 FlowmasterandY
Flowmaster fitment
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 Flowmasterfitment
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 5:29 pm

James, did you do that whole exhaust all yourself? Um wanna make me a 3"- 3"x2 Y pipe one of these days?
Back to top Go down
palermocorey90
Expert
palermocorey90

Name : Corey
Merit : -24

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 7:50 pm

ok im calling out Tony smooth
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/glowinstrat
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 8:30 pm

palermocorey90 wrote:

Sure...right after my turbo and 4t80e swap. suspect
Back to top Go down
Turbocharged400sbc
Fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 2:10 am

turtleman wrote:
James, did you do that whole exhaust all yourself? Um wanna make me a 3"- 3"x2 Y pipe one of these days?
yup dynomax aluminized- 1 4ft piece of 3" straight, and 4 3" 180* u bends (part# 42323)
1 U for the Y, 1 U used for the battery box deviation, 1 U for the muffler entry's, and the last U used for two turndowns and from the remnants the small pie slices (~5*) to kickup the muffler entry's closer to the body.

only if ya bring it here lol

TonySmooth89 wrote:
palermocorey90 wrote:

Sure...right after my turbo and 4t80e swap. suspect

lmfao

the primary pipe
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 Fullywelded
and the solenoids being mounted
Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 Nitroussolenoidmounting
Back to top Go down
MintRiv98
Rookie
MintRiv98

Name : Patrick

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 7:09 pm

HANOVER PARK hi
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eric's calling you out alex...heheh   Eric's calling you out alex...heheh - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Eric's calling you out alex...heheh
Page 11 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next