Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95

Go down 
+10
nvsteve
albertj
EatDirtFartDust
jeffyd123
Redline
johnd89
Jason
AA
cragmor
95_River
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

Name : Mike
Merit : 18

Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95   Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 7:10 pm

I'm psyched that it's free. If it works well, I would totally drop the cash to get the registered ver.
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95   Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 7:12 pm

I actually bought an OBD2 to USB cable last year specifically for this project. I put it off for a while since I didn't need to scan anything just yet.

I'm going to most likely hack off the USB end, and pin it out to the TTL.

If it works, I'll be in it for a total of like 25 bucks.
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: temp   Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 10:05 pm

Oh yeah, my cable idea worked!
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Build your own ALDL cable   Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 5:25 pm

1. Buy an OBD2 to USB cable. I bought this cheapo one, pretty good quality, I just wanted the OBD connector with convenient solder pad pinout. (This is optional, if you want to stick the bare wires into your OBD connector, you can do that too. I preferred to have the connector (don't want to short out your DLC). Buy it here: http://www.amazon.com/OBD2-Diagnostic-Cable-KKL409-1-VAG-COM/dp/B002WIN8VQ

Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 92564393

2. Purchase an OSEPP FTDI (FTD-01) Breakout Board. (Must be FTDI FT232RL chip). This particular board allows to switch between 3.3V or 5V. You will want to use 5V for this purpose. I picked mine up from Fry's Electronics for 16.99. You can also get them online at various places. i.e. http://www.amazon.com/OSEPP-Breakout-Board-Arduino-Compatible/dp/B007JBSSGQ

Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 24876011

3. Open up the OBD2 to USB cable (4 precision-screwdriver Philips heads)

Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 26128172

4. Separate the circuit board from the OBD2 port header. I bent it back and forth until the metal tabs broke. You can use a wire cutter, or whatever.

Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 22647039

5. This is what the back of mine looked like afterwards. You'll want to remove those metal pin headers in the center. Snip them with a wire cutter or you can desolder them, whatever works best for you. Don't let them or the solder pads touch.

Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 50541916

6. Here's what you should end up with after the modifications.

Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 40393225

7. A little pic of the setup I'm using. Nothing fancy. Soldering iron, solder, screwdriver, and a wire stripper/cutter.

Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 65850540

8. I cut the USB end off of the cable, and stripped off the rubber and wire shielding. You only need three wires for this to work. There are four inside the cable loom. I eliminated the red wire. I tied the green and white wires together and soldered them to pin #9 on the OBD2 connector. The reason for this is that the ALDL data stream is active on pin 9. Both data transmit and receive go through there. Ground (black wire) goes to Pin #5 on the OBD2 connector.

Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 33032196

9. Solder the white and green wires to TXD and RXD. It doesn't matter which wire goes on what pad, it's a closed loop. The black ground wire gets soldered to the ground pad (GND) on the FTDI breakout board. You can use any of the headers. I chose this side out of convenience.

Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 46500941

10. Also get some solder on the bottom pads to make sure you get a nice consistent connection. Snip off any excess wire when done.

Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 68005840

11. Here's what I ended up with as a final product. It could always look better, but it worked for me.

Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 59236638

Total cost was 26 bucks, only took about an hour. You'll also need a microUSB cable. You should be able to get one real cheap.

The kind on the left in this picture:

Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 Palm-800w-12

Last edited by sniperdude on Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95   Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 5:27 pm

Drivers will need to be installed before using: http://osepp.com/learning-centre/start-here/ftdi-breakout-board/ftdi-breakout-board-2/
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95   Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 5:32 pm

The FTDI board is a TTL (transistor to transistor logic) to USB converter.

Normally TTL would work with RS232 serial ports. But, most newer PCs no longer have serial connectors, and the newer tuning software would also have an issue running on older computers.

So basically this does the same thing as those, just using USB.

By connecting the TX and RX pads together to pin 9 on your OBD connector (and ground), you're allowing the FTDI chip to transmit and receive data from the car.
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95   Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 5:37 pm

You can download TunerPro RT here: http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadApp.htm

I used the following definition files for my PCM (16183247)

http://www.tunerpro.net/download/bindefs/GM/5B_TPV5.xdf
http://www.tunerpro.net/download/datastreams/GM/5B_V5.adx
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95   Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 5:41 pm

Check out this tutorial on how to use Tunerpro. http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?466-TunerPro-starter-Tutorial!-New-users-this-is-a-must-read!-%29
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95   Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 5:47 pm

Here's some neat screenshots I took of the Riv scan from last night.

Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 Rivdash1

Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 Rivdash2
Back to top Go down
matt270avian
Expert
matt270avian

Name : Matt
Merit : 54

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95   Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:30 pm

You just had to post this right after I got paid................ headshot
Back to top Go down
sniperdude
Fanatic
sniperdude

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95   Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 8:54 am

Haha, good thing it's cheap, right?
Back to top Go down
darbysan
Rookie

Name : Mike Darby
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95   Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 4:48 pm

New to the forum and could use some help. I have new to me 95 Riv, and I would like to pull trouble codes before I remove the engine ( doing an engine swap into a Fiero). I've had some experience with Tunerpro, having done a TPI install in my Le Camino. I have Tunerpro RT, and a 12 pin ALDL cable. I have downloaded the BIN, XDF and ADX files. I found on another forum a picture that showed a way to connect my ALDL cable to the 16 pin OBDII connector, and I have tried that with some success. Let me know if this is wrong.
Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 Xraycable

I do get connection, but no data flow. I think it may have to do with the setup in the Acquision definition, and I've gone in and tried to edit it, but can't seem to get the data flow working. I send Mode 8 (Disable Comms) Send macro for the connection command, and then send Mode 1 Message 0 (Data) send for the monitor command. This will get me connected, but no flow. If I change the Monitor command to Mode 8 ( Disable Comms) Send, then it looks like I am getting some data flow, but all errors. No data shows up on the tables or on the Dashboard.

Any ideas on where I might go from here?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95   Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Build Your Own (ALDL) OBDI Scan Tool for '95
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2