Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Under-the-hood CLUNK Transmission

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
rivcop
Amateur
rivcop

Name : Kevin
Merit : 0

Under-the-hood  CLUNK  Transmission Empty
PostSubject: Under-the-hood CLUNK Transmission   Under-the-hood  CLUNK  Transmission EmptyMon Oct 29, 2007 4:49 am

I have a "Clunk" noise when my transmission downshifts. The tranny shifts smoothly, but when I reach around 50MPH or so, and the motor downshifts to normal RPM's (about 1500 or so), there is a Clunking noise that comes from under the hood, as well as an abrupt jerk. I believe that is a motor/tranny mount, or a CV joint. It clunks 8 out of 10 times. When I go to accelerate, it jerks on the upshift as if it were stuck or something, but again not all the time, but most. Fluid is okay and added Lucas oil transmission additive in it which is supposed to help with hard shifting, it did not. I really think is is something other than the transmission, due to it shifting so soomthly and being so responsive. Maybe even a modulator valve that is not allowing it to shift at the correct shift points??? Wish you guys lived around Cincinnati, and could help a feller figure this one out!! Motor does seem to jump a little while shifting through all gears while stationary. Also blatsted traction control light comes on and of while coming from a cold start, but once everything is warm stays on. All vaccum lines that run from the modulator to the SC are good with no leaks. This is very bothersome! Could the dummy light for the traction control have something to do with the clunk/jerk thing? Could the traction control be causing this, or visa versa? bonk Thanks, Kevin
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Under-the-hood CLUNK Transmission   Under-the-hood  CLUNK  Transmission EmptyMon Oct 29, 2007 8:57 am

Topic moved to Series II Engine & Transmission Tech...

I used to get a jerking shift before I found a vacuum leak. Look again for cracked hoses, and replace. These are sometimes hard to find. Could also be failing transmission mounts, but that's more involved, so hope not. I doubt the TC light is related to the shifting issue.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
rivcop
Amateur
rivcop

Name : Kevin
Merit : 0

PostSubject: my jerking/clunking tranny   Under-the-hood  CLUNK  Transmission EmptyThu Nov 01, 2007 6:11 pm

I was also wondering if it could be a TCC soleniod?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Under-the-hood CLUNK Transmission   Under-the-hood  CLUNK  Transmission Empty

Back to top Go down

Under-the-hood CLUNK Transmission
Page 1 of 1