Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)

Go down 
+35
robotennis61
sseilmnop2
Abaddon
Eldo
7901mark
woggy
ssei turbo
ibmoses
T Riley
vendetta
SuperRiv07
Rickw
Chicken
lyonsperformance
TonySmooth89
Supercharged
urbsnspices
Sag
RhinoFLA
BillBoost37
nothincame2mind
palermocorey90
deekster_caddy
97rivman
ewolfe0050
96riv
SpaceBar
dreww
oldsman105
Mr.Riviera
racinfan
AA
turtleman
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
T Riley
Guru
T Riley

Name : Travis
Merit : 10

intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 2:57 pm

ssei turbo wrote:
i noticed the amount of room around the nose of the car, lots of room to mount a big a2a for turbo! that thought has also crossed my mind as well..... anyone done that here?
Be the first.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rivperformance.com
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 8:57 pm

ssei turbo wrote:
i noticed the amount of room around the nose of the car, lots of room to mount a big a2a for turbo! that thought has also crossed my mind as well..... anyone done that here?

Not that I know of, but don't let that stop you! It's been done plenty of times on 3800 builds, this should be no different, besides the mounting and tubing...
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

Name : Codith
Merit : 140

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptySat May 15, 2010 5:35 pm

Drew, I never noticed how you turned your alternator over and up. So basically you left the bottom bolt out and turned it up so you could use the support bracket that bolts up to the blower case? I had never considered that. I have the support bracket that bolts to the rear of the alternator off so the two front ears of the alternator hold it in stock position (without the rear support bracket). Is there any reason you chose to do it that way as opposed to just deleting that bracket?

Another question for Drew and EWolfe, why do you recommend the Meziere pump over say a bosch pump? Is it just a - it flows more and therefore gets heat out of the system faster thing or what?
Back to top Go down
7901mark
Enthusiast

Name : Mark
Merit : 6

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Hows the engine coolant temps with all that stuff blocking the air flow of your radiator?
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 4:59 pm

I've got a 4x23" wide transcooler blocking the lower 'mouth' under the bumper, and it doesn't seem to effect my engine coolant temps at all.

intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 CoolMount5

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
7901mark
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 5:03 pm

AA wrote:
I've got a 4x23" wide transcooler blocking the lower 'mouth' under the bumper, and it doesn't seem to effect my engine coolant temps at all.

Sry, that question was for Dreww in response to this pic....was just curious smile

intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 Dsc00442no1
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 5:10 pm

Lol, I can see your point there. I've read at a trans cooler site that the front-most cooler has near 100% efficiency, behind the radiator is 75%, and behind the AC condenser you can expect 60%. That's actually better than I would expect.

intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 Cooler-efficiency

Using the above idea, we could say if you covered the entire radiator area with cooling devices, it would still have 75% efficiency compared to stock. Judging from Drew's picture, he should be at least 85-90% efficient.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
7901mark
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 5:17 pm

AA wrote:
Lol, I can see your point there. I've read at a trans cooler site that the front-most cooler has near 100% efficiency, behind the radiator is 75%, and behind the AC condenser you can expect 60%. That's actually better than I would expect.

Using the above idea, we could say if you covered the entire radiator area with cooling devices, it would still have 75% efficiency compared to stock. Judging from Drew's picture, he should be at least 85-90% efficient.

I would think thickness of cooler would also need to be added to that equation, since the air flow through coolers would be different depending on the thickness.

good info though, thanks!
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 5:30 pm

Yeah, I agree. And the temp of the coolant or trans fluid also plays into it. I'm not sure how hot the coolant in the IC gets, but I'd bet it's pretty warm. Trans fluid can be 250+ under extreme duty.

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 7:49 pm

Anyone know off hand what size the stock S/C bolts are? I gotta buy some an inch longer for Manuels SSIC. Also, are we running green coolant or dexcool or what? Details...details...
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 8:50 pm

Codith,
i don't have the exact answer to your question but I asked the same question some time back in preparation of installing a GenV on my car, which hasn't happened. Waaaaaaaaaa.

Anyway the answer i got was the following:

LIM to SC bolts needed for GenV are:

1-M8x1.25x140
1-M8x1.25x120
1-M8x1.25x80
7-M8x1.25x40

I don't know which ones are the stock ones for the Gen 3 and which are the longer ones for the GEN V, but I would guess they are cheap enough to replace all of them or gamble and just have the longer 2 on the list for the GenV.

Remember these bolts, stock, have the flange head design or washer head, however you prefer to call them.
So, if all you find are regular hex head, make allowance for a small area washer under the head of the hex head bolt.

I hope this helps.

Regarding the type coolant, that's up to you. The jury is split on that one. I have found half the people say Dexcool is fine with the new aluminum LIM gaskets and others just prefer using regular OL green coolant.
Whichever you use, just flush the cooling system while you have the chance before removing your intake and drain the system leaving only fresh water in it, so when you do break it down the only thing that can contaminate the oil is fresh water.
Then do the obvious and change your oil and filter when done and then put in the 50/50 mix of your choice. Just my recommendation from experience.
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 9:14 pm

The bolts you say for the GenV are for no I/C or what?
With the coolant, I meant for the I/C system, not the motor.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 9:22 pm

I'm sorry, your correct. i did not look at the heading of the post.

Those were bolt length's for the GEN V install only and as far as the coolant for the IC, well I do not know what is recommended.

FAIL,
Rick
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 3:52 am

Regarding coolant, I tend to agree with Rick's statement about the replacement manifold gaskets. Also, others have reported no problems after replacing those gaskets.

As for myself, with original gaskets (as far as I know) I switched to green coolant as soon as I bought the car, based on my brother's experience with customers' cars...

dunno
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 7:55 pm

There might be a better place for this topic but it directly relates to the install of a full size IC. I know Eric has the new style ZZP setup so he's got their LIM that's groove-cut with a little passage for the front PCV passage through the supercharger that many full size cores block off. What did you do Drew?

This is kind of a sub-write-up for a PCV solution.

I'm installing the current WBS IC core and here's what I did. This same method should work for virtually any intercooler.
intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 Image0529
I added a fitting to the LIM for external way to the blocked side.

intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 Image0535
Add another one to the blower right there. (If you look at the passageway underneath the blower, you can see what area you need to drill for the new fitting) I used a 90 degree elbow and then the fitting. More pics...

intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 Image0536
intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 Image0537
intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 Image0538
intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 Image0540
plenty of clearance from boost bypass lever
There is a little wiggle room for the exact location to drill and tap for the fitting on the blower but make sure you give yourself enough room to screw in your elbow piece without hitting the case.
It turns out, the two fittings line up almost perfectly to each-other as far as depth. I should also point out that this is a gen V blower. The gen 3 is not the same. I have to check to see if the location on a gen 3 blower would be the same.

Now, tie the two together.

intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 Image0541
intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 Image0542
intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 Image0544
intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 Image0543
My intercooler recedes slightly from the edges of the blower feet and LIM mounting points so basically my hose sneaks through that area. This could be different for other intercooler cores so check clearance before you make a final decision about routing and choosing fittings.

intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 Image0545
This would easily clear OEM fuel rails. I have no definite way to check against my aftermarket fuel rails without taking them off my car but it looks like it should be ok.

Materials I used:
1 - 1/8" x 27 tap [$6.99 Ace Hardware]
1 - 21/64" drill bit [$5.99 Ace Hardware]
2 - brass hose fitting Dorman 73279 [$1.99 Pep Boys]
1 - brass 90* elbow Dorman 43030 [$1.99 Pep Boys]
1 - hard plastic 1/4" hose Dorman 47421 [$4.99 Pep Boys]
2 - rubber 90* elbow Dorman 47092 [$2.99 Pep Boys]
Optional:
1 - thread locker gel Permatex 27010 [$11.49 Pep Boys]

I couldn't quite fit my standard "t" handle tap in either of these spots so I used a socket wrench and a 12pt 3/8" socket to hold tap bit with no problems at all.
Also, have a good shop vac handy. You'll be cleaning up aluminum filings throughout the process.

Some other notes. This procedure is functionally undo-able. If, for instance, you wanted to remove your intercooler, you could just cap off these two fittings and you're back to how it was. If you wanted to go a step further, you could remove your fittings and use screw in plugs.

Last edited by turtleman on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 10:23 pm

This what 'ya lookin for?

intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 PCV

Diagram Callouts

1 - MAP Sensor
2 - To Vacuum Brake Booster
3 - EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid Valve
4 - PCV Valve
5 - Throttle Actuator Control
6 - S/C Bypass Actuator
7 - S/C Bypass Solenoid
8 - Intake Manifold
9 - S/C Assembly
10 - BARO Sensor
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 10:27 pm

naw, it's a diagram of the PCV path through the motor. It's like an inside view kindof.

EDIT: Here it is

intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 3800pcv

Last edited by turtleman on Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abaddon
Expert
Abaddon

Name : Scott
Merit : 185

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 11:05 pm

Damn...that sux. I know exactly what you mean though. I'll do some digging tomorrow at work.....
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 7:41 pm

I edited my recent post so now it's pretty much a little write-up of what I did. It could be useful for anyone installing an intercooler.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 11:05 pm

Just purchased a phenolic inter-cooler core. see this thread:
https://rivperformance.editboard.com/t7998p15-phenolic-intercooler-core#125457

Would there be a down side to installing the core and NOT hooking it up to a FMHE and pump right away? I just dont have the extra cash around after the core and needing 4 new tires. I would like to at least get the core installed so it helps separate some of the heat from the blower and it would ease installation a lot when i do get the other parts.
In my mind it should be the same as running an I/C car without the pump running. Im not making full use of the core cooler but the car should still function fine and have cooler output right?

Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 9:36 am

Shouldn't be a problem doing that. Most of the IC kits advertise the fact that the installation can be done in stages. I doubt you'll see any heat absorption, and of course you're blocking some air flow into the LIM (not a problem once you hook up the pump and HE - just increase boost).

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 12:40 pm

I agree. It'll probably be like using one of zzp's thick blower spacers and keep the blower from heat-soaking as quickly until it gets coolant through it. I'll probably end up doing it like that too. This is exciting that some more people are intercooling. I think this spring is gonna be a good one for the Riviera's out there.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 1:03 pm

Cool. Thats what i will do then. Now if only i could find some injectors and fuel rails...

Back to top Go down
turtleman
Expert
turtleman

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 1:08 pm

Mr.Riviera wrote:
Cool. Thats what i will do then. Now if only i could find some injectors and fuel rails...

Don't get anything but PRJ rails. my 2c
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 1:23 pm

Whats wrong with the zzp mod rails

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)   intercooler - Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC) - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Write-Up: Installing Intercooler (IC)
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next