Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

SC/Accessory Belt Slipping Off

Go down 
+5
turtleman
1998rivman
AA
albertj
TonySmooth89
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

SC/Accessory Belt Slipping Off - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SC/Accessory Belt Slipping Off   SC/Accessory Belt Slipping Off - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 9:21 pm

Albert I did rebuild my alternator, using a rebuild kit from alternatorparts.com. When I pressed the front bearing out (yes, a press is required), I broke a part of the race that was molded around the bearing. It never affected anything, and I used loctite when I pressed the new bearing in.

Based on my experience, I would buy a rebuild unit instead of rebuilding it myself again.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: SC/Accessory Belt Slipping Off   SC/Accessory Belt Slipping Off - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 9:35 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:
Albert I did rebuild my alternator, using a rebuild kit from alternatorparts.com. When I pressed the front bearing out (yes, a press is required), I broke a part of the race that was molded around the bearing. It never affected anything, and I used loctite when I pressed the new bearing in.

Based on my experience, I would buy a rebuild unit instead of rebuilding it myself again.

OK. I'm a little mfffd - this will be my 3rd alternator replacement - and none of them have gone electrically bad. It's all been bearings. And if they'd used decent bearings to begin with (RockAuto has some SKFs for instance) this probably wouldn't have happened.

Grrrr.........

first I will calm down, then I will shop for alternator.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: SC/Accessory Belt Slipping Off   SC/Accessory Belt Slipping Off - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 9:57 pm

If it makes you feel any better Albert, several years ago I had to replace 2 water & 2 steering pumps in the space of 6 months...

That's when I discovered that, A) Delco doesn't mean American any more, and
B) they even have different 'grades' of the damned foreign parts.

I think the "cheap" pump was Chinese, while the "good" one was Brazilian... but they both come in nice, 'dependable' Delco red, white & blue boxes. headbutt
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: SC/Accessory Belt Slipping Off   SC/Accessory Belt Slipping Off - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 10:01 pm

albertj wrote:
deekster_caddy wrote:

OK. I'm a little mfffd - this will be my 3rd alternator replacement - and none of them have gone electrically bad. It's all been bearings. And if they'd used decent bearings to begin with (RockAuto has some SKFs for instance) this probably wouldn't have happened.

Grrrr.........

first I will calm down, then I will shop for alternator.

Albertj

You can replace the bearings yourself but it will require a press. My bearing replacement went okay besides the cracking of the front bearing insert. (it's a steel ring press-fit into the aluminum casting of the alternator, I'm assuming to give the front bearing something more solid to ride in)
Back to top Go down
DEMonte1997
Aficionado
DEMonte1997

Name : Rick
Merit : 37

PostSubject: Re: SC/Accessory Belt Slipping Off   SC/Accessory Belt Slipping Off - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 12:24 am

I have a couple spare alternators if you want one for cheap. They are used but they work without grinding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SC/Accessory Belt Slipping Off   SC/Accessory Belt Slipping Off - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

SC/Accessory Belt Slipping Off
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2