Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

fuel injectors ticking louder then norm.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

Name : Dave
Merit : 44

fuel injectors ticking louder then norm. Empty
PostSubject: fuel injectors ticking louder then norm.   fuel injectors ticking louder then norm. EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 12:28 pm

from: https://rivperformance.editboard.com/series-ii-engine-transmission-f4/running-na-low-octane-okay-t2543.htm

Of course I had just filled with 91 @ $3.39 before the belt came apart...

... now about the injectors. With no SC noise underhood, there is a much more distinct and noticeable clicking that sounds like it is at the injectors. Are they normally so noticeable, this is with the hood open. With an ear right down in that area, it seems to be clearly coming from them.
Back to top Go down
ibmoses
Aficionado
ibmoses

Name : Bert
Merit : 32

PostSubject: Re: fuel injectors ticking louder then norm.   fuel injectors ticking louder then norm. EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 1:29 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
Of course I had just filled with 91 @ $3.39 before the belt came apart...

... now about the injectors. With no SC noise underhood, there is a much more distinct and noticeable clicking that sounds like it is at the injectors. Are they normally so noticeable, this is with the hood open. With an ear right down in that area, it seems to be clearly coming from them.

Yep, its the injectors.thumbsup
Bert
Back to top Go down
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: fuel injectors ticking louder then norm.   fuel injectors ticking louder then norm. EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 4:47 pm

Things are also noticeably quieter when I turn off the ignition w/o the SC operational. I have to believe it's about time for a SC coupler and bearings. Don't know when the hell that's going to get done.
Back to top Go down
SpaceBar
Aficionado
SpaceBar

Name : Patrick
Merit : 3

PostSubject: Re: fuel injectors ticking louder then norm.   fuel injectors ticking louder then norm. EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 5:23 pm

1998 Riv wrote:
Things are also noticeably quieter when I turn off the ignition w/o the SC operational. I have to believe it's about time for a SC coupler and bearings. Don't know when the hell that's going to get done.

Did you get a crunching noise when you shut it off? If so that would be the coupler.
Back to top Go down
http://community.webshots.com/user/xspacebarx
1998 Riv
Expert
1998 Riv

PostSubject: Re: fuel injectors ticking louder then norm.   fuel injectors ticking louder then norm. EmptyMon Feb 25, 2008 12:25 am

Yeah, I guess that might describe it. But it also had a kind of grinding sound as well, while running. Not severe, but noticeable.
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: fuel injectors ticking louder then norm.   fuel injectors ticking louder then norm. EmptyMon Feb 25, 2008 1:40 am

I was going to post about this earlier, but I've noticed noise with mine, too - specifically the SC gets louder in cold weather. It's always been the case, and when I changed the coupler last summer, it helped the "rattling marbles" sound, but it still got louder when winter came.

Last week, it was really cold, about 4ºF. Went out to start the car, turned it over, but not long enough to fire up. I heard kind of a scraping, grinding sound as the engine failed to start. I tried again and she started right up.

I used to think the blower was loud on start-up because the aluminum blower housing shrunk a little, causing parts inside to make noise. I didn't know exactly what parts, it was just a theory. Then someone at a Buick forum told me that was false. He said the blower was loud on start-up because the BBV was closed, allowing me to hear the rotors. Sounded good to me.

But when I replaced my coupler last year, I remember when I pulled the snout off, the edges of the rotors were polished shiny, like they were ground. And they fit almost exactly in the housing. My thought was, when the blower was new, there may have been some break-in time to "seal" the rotors against the housing.

And when I heard that scraping sound on that cold morning a couple weeks ago, I started thinking more about it. I don't know for sure, but I want to believe our blowers are noisy because the rotors make contact with the housing when extremely cold. Once the engine heats up, the noise is much less I've noticed.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
robertwolf86
Fanatic
robertwolf86

Name : robert
Merit : 0

PostSubject: fuel injectors ticking louder then norm.   fuel injectors ticking louder then norm. EmptySun Mar 02, 2008 10:47 pm

fuel injectors ticking louder then norm. i changed my front valve cover gasget last week and after that i noticed the louder ticking of the fuel injectors? any thoughts on why.?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fuel injectors ticking louder then norm.   fuel injectors ticking louder then norm. Empty

Back to top Go down

fuel injectors ticking louder then norm.
Page 1 of 1